MSP Airport / Metropolitan Airports Commission

Roads - Rails - Sidewalks - Bikeways
talindsay
Wells Fargo Center

Re: MSP Airport

Postby talindsay » July 16th, 2014, 9:04 pm

I for one would love to see an A380 in person, especially in near proximity to a 747. Too bad we didn't have more warning.

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » July 16th, 2014, 10:23 pm

I've seen one on the ground fairly close up in Toronto. What a terribly ugly plane. The 747 looks so much better.

twinkess
Target Field

Postby twinkess » July 17th, 2014, 9:50 am

I for one would love to see an A380 in person, especially in near proximity to a 747. Too bad we didn't have more warning.
Had the experience of flying one CDG->JFK. I was coming from Geneva and intentionally picked a 3 leg return trip so I could fly the beast. Boarding is a nightmare. Even using the two jet bridges it takes 45+ minutes from start of general boarding till the last stragglers are trying to find bin space. Total time from "pre-board" to door close might have been 65-75 minutes.

Unfortunately for me I picked the upper deck gate, and had to move to the end of the line at the gate for the lower deck. Air France has employees that go back and forth down the line making sure you are in the right one. Being that I was now at the end of the line I was one of the last to board, but still found some bin space about 5 rows behind my seat, which was now occupied by someone else.

At this point my experience changed drastically for the better. The gentleman in my seat asked if I wanted to trade for seat 60K (my assigned seat was 38D and I was weary of moving any further back). I must have looked frustrated because he immediately offered that it was in business class. I said fine as long as the attendant's allow it. They did, and moved me to the first row in the upper deck. I was handed my first of several glasses of champagne and enjoyed the rest of the flight.

The plane itself is massive. Entering from the lower deck jet bridge you get the full sense of scale, as the plane is still curving outward above your head. The engines dwarf the ground crew working around them. It is very quiet, and during the takeoff run you don't feel much acceleration. It almost seems like you are going too slow and wont make it off the runway in time, then you float into the air. A very different experience from a DC-9 taking off like a rocket.

Part of the IFE are channels showing you the camera feeds from around the aircraft that are mainly for aiding the pilots taxiing the massive plane. Very cool to watch from your seat.

SteveXC500
Nicollet Mall

Postby SteveXC500 » September 11th, 2014, 2:13 pm

Has anyone attended any MAC meetings recently? It looks like there was a recent Gate Analysis done and discussions are ongoing regarding future gate use and the possibility of moving airlines around at the terminals.

See Planning and Development Committee Amendment #1. Thoughts on airport growth here?
http://www.metroairports.org/Airport-Au ... tings.aspx

downfall
City Center

Postby downfall » September 11th, 2014, 3:46 pm

Take a look at the agenda from the most recent Planning Development and Environment Committee:

http://www.metroairports.org/docs/publi ... A_1311.pdf

Looks like preliminary discussions/planning for multiple infrastructure improvements at MSP.

SteveXC500
Nicollet Mall

Postby SteveXC500 » September 11th, 2014, 7:21 pm

The improvements are part of what I was pointing out. Notably, Terminal 2 is currently seeing construction of three additional gates next to gate 10. 2018 will see three more constructed.
Another find was the four options for gate utilization. Move Southwest Airlines to T-1, leave them at T-2 and close Concourse B, move everyone to T-1 except basically Sun Country, or the all-to-familiar Sky Team only at T-1 and all others at T-2. I'm not sure I believe the analysis, however, on the expected 2020 gate use. Would airlines really know at this point what they will need 5-6 years from now?

matt91486
Nicollet Mall

Postby matt91486 » September 11th, 2014, 8:05 pm

With T1 generally being one of the nicest, if not the nicest, airports in the nation, it seems a shame to not utilize it to its full extent. Terminal B would I imagine, however, require some remodeling if it were going to get widespread use, and presumably some gates would have to be removed (or I guess just not used) if they wanted to maximize usefulness. Southwest doesn't fly enough here that anyone would probably ever connect through MSP, though if they end up adding just a few more flights people might. Southwest uses some really odd connections sometimes.

at40man
Rice Park

Postby at40man » September 12th, 2014, 12:42 am

You don't like Humphrey terminal? I do - it's quick and easy whenever I've used it, and now there's even some good food over there.
Count me as one who enjoy's Lindbergh/T1's size and architecture more. Plus, I hate sitting around for too long and there is far more to see in 1. I particularly enjoy walking the "loop" and the Observation Deck. I almost never have a wait with TSA due to checkpoint xx. ;)

I flew out of Humphrey/T2 recently for the first time, and I can't say I was impressed. It smelled funny. And it seemed like half the "fancy" light fixtures had half their bulbs blown out or flickering, which drives me bonkers!

SteveXC500
Nicollet Mall

Postby SteveXC500 » September 12th, 2014, 7:16 am

I have found T2 enjoyable, only in the sense that when I have flown out of there, it was in no way crowded. If I was there at 7 AM, it would likely be a different story with all of the early flights departing at once.
Curious though is whether MAC suggested Southwest move, or did Southwest suggest the option to MAC? I think if MAC selects Alternative #3, they basically give all the gates to Sun Country.

mister.shoes
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mister.shoes » September 12th, 2014, 8:18 am

I have found T2 enjoyable, only in the sense that when I have flown out of there, it was in no way crowded. If I was there at 7 AM, it would likely be a different story with all of the early flights departing at once.
I had no idea how bonkers that place was in the morning. Mrs.Shoes and I almost missed a flight to NYC a few years back because I incorrectly assumed that T2 was always sleepy. Whoops.
The problem with being an introvert online is that no one knows you're just hanging out and listening.

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » September 12th, 2014, 8:26 am

They opened a second security checkpoint about a year ago.

Chauncey87
Nicollet Mall

Postby Chauncey87 » September 12th, 2014, 4:43 pm

Does anyone have any first hand experience or even second hand on the MSP/FRA Condor flights? Any thoughts on if Condor will be coming back next summer?

maxbaby
Landmark Center

Postby maxbaby » September 14th, 2014, 11:06 am

Condors flight schedule is out for next summer and it does show it will be returning next summer.

SteveXC500
Nicollet Mall

Postby SteveXC500 » September 14th, 2014, 7:34 pm

Condors flight schedule is out for next summer and it does show it will be returning next summer.
Yes, it looks like Sundays and Wednesdays this next year. Likely, they will continue their interline agreement with Sun Country.

MN Fats
Union Depot

Postby MN Fats » September 23rd, 2014, 1:13 pm

New Minnesota Wild-themed restaurant opening at Terminal 2:

http://wild.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=72 ... ign=buffer

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » September 23rd, 2014, 3:31 pm

DL CEO: Another long haul flight to Asia within 3 to 5 years
http://www.bizjournals.com/twincities/n ... ml?ana=twt
Seoul, probably.

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » September 23rd, 2014, 3:51 pm

The former Northwest/Delta employee ramp accessed from the Post Road exit (near where they tore down the old Northwest hangars) is becoming a 1600-space MAC operated park & fly with a shuttle to the terminal.
http://www.aviationpros.com/news/116943 ... n-terminal

LyndaleHoosier
Metrodome

Postby LyndaleHoosier » September 23rd, 2014, 7:16 pm

Is this really a 2 story ramp as stated in the article or is the employee parking lots? I've been out that way many times as well as just looked at Google maps and don't see a ramp, just parking lots. What am I missing?

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » September 23rd, 2014, 7:29 pm

illman00
City Center

Postby illman00 » September 23rd, 2014, 10:47 pm

Sounds like they have a few upgrades:

- a "film screening room" a first for airports
- 5-7k of parking
-And on deltas news releases they mentioned two new flights to the Caribbean/Mexico area