Rumors: A Historical Record of Mystery

Introductions - Urban Issues - Miscellaneous News, Topics, Interests
tabletop
Nicollet Mall

Re: Rumors!

Postby tabletop » August 30th, 2014, 7:51 am

Your right, getting a little ahead of myself. Either way, it would be a nice "take that Atlanta!"

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » September 15th, 2014, 8:37 pm

Texas RE: I'll ask Retiredbanker if he would like to respond about the convention hotel situation since he is deeply involved with that. It'll be a few weeks before he responds, since he's taking a well-deserved month long vacation, plus he is dealing with some health issues. If any of you have any other questions that you want him to address, message me, I'll be sure that he knows of your request, if he wants to respond, that is up to him.
It's not dead yet. If you want to see the entire speech given by Texas RE on the ssc forum here's the link http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthrea ... inneapolis
There was a lot of skepticism and pessimism starting to boil and there was a need for response.

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » September 16th, 2014, 11:27 am

Texas RE: I'll ask Retiredbanker if he would like to respond about the convention hotel situation since he is deeply involved with that. It'll be a few weeks before he responds, since he's taking a well-deserved month long vacation, plus he is dealing with some health issues. If any of you have any other questions that you want him to address, message me, I'll be sure that he knows of your request, if he wants to respond, that is up to him.
It's not dead yet. If you want to see the entire speech given by Texas RE on the ssc forum here's the link http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthrea ... inneapolis
There was a lot of skepticism and pessimism starting to boil and there was a need for response.
I wouldn't call it a need. They are rumors about conceptual projects, people getting hyped about them doesn't warrant any necessity to anyone actually in the industry ;)

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » September 16th, 2014, 11:37 am

It was mostly users getting very very doubtful as to whether anyone is telling the truth, it started feeling hostile

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » September 16th, 2014, 2:05 pm

It was mostly users getting very very doubtful as to whether anyone is telling the truth, it started feeling hostile
yes. I follow that thread regularly. they're all quite histrionic.

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » September 16th, 2014, 2:08 pm

Is it always like that? I've just started looking on there mostly for the posts by mbp, avian and Texas RE

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » September 16th, 2014, 2:16 pm

Is it always like that? I've just started looking on there mostly for the posts by mbp, avian and Texas RE
It's about rumors. you're young enough to understand that they are always flying around and people react to them in ridiculous ways. use your critical thinking hat and spend your energy wisely.

EOst
Capella Tower

Postby EOst » September 16th, 2014, 2:17 pm

People there like to dream; they don't want skepticism. That's fine enough, but it's a very different thing.

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » September 16th, 2014, 2:24 pm

People there like to dream; they don't want skepticism. That's fine enough, but it's a very different thing.
I like to dream, that's why I read that thread, but I also take the educated rumors and store them away for myself rather than talk about them like fact along with my own dreams of the city. which then creates tension and mixed facts based on all sorts of rumor and opinion.

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » September 16th, 2014, 7:24 pm

Having followed the MSP real estate development scene since the hey days of the 80's. Rumors come and rumors go. When there is dirt moved then you start to believe. You can get project where they have a shovel ceremony and then months or years later something happens. The last Portland and Franklin project is a good example of that. The Reserve in NL would be one where they actually started building the project and it came crashing down and sat stalled for several years. We are now very much out of the speculation game after the last disaster. Unless you have a sign tenant or are using your own money a project will not likely get financed with out a Major tenant and some of the other space spoken for now.

I like to dream and hope for projects, but until I see dirt actually moving it can all still fall apart before they even get started. I hope we have a few more years of projects. Most will be residential or small office developments like Be the Match or Code42 when take up almost all of the space. There might be some life left in hotel, but if all that are proposed are built we will have an oversupply again. Office towers are a long shot in my mind. I don't see any tenants to be a lead anchors to get one past 60% occupancy which would not be considered speculation. Again lenders are skiddish on all new construction with our current occpany rates without a credit worthy tenant.

Didier
Capella Tower

Re: Opus Ritz Block Development

Postby Didier » September 22nd, 2014, 9:41 pm

I heard a rumor that it was going to be taller.

Tyler
Foshay Tower

Postby Tyler » September 22nd, 2014, 9:50 pm

Not sure I get the dig -- seems like the rumors were pretty accurate here.
Towns!

Nick
Capella Tower

Postby Nick » September 22nd, 2014, 9:56 pm

There's a whole thing with a Norman Foster supertall on this block, I'd highly recommend it.
Nick Magrino
[email protected]

Silophant

Postby Silophant » September 22nd, 2014, 10:01 pm

Not sure I get the dig -- seems like the rumors were pretty accurate here.
Yeah, they were. I'm not going to bother digging through the rumors thread for the quote, but wasn't Avian's Texas contact saying something like "various groups would like to partner with Opus to build something iconic, but Opus is really conservative and will probably go with a couple ~30 story towers by themselves instead"?

Anyway, I'm not going to complain about a pair of decently tall residential towers, not while so much surface parking still exists in this part of town. I'll sigh heavily at the thought of what might have been, though.
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]

John
Capella Tower

Postby John » September 22nd, 2014, 10:02 pm

Well maybe Opus should consider revising this proposal they were involved in. Note: the architect was from Minneapolis too ;)

Last edited by John on September 22nd, 2014, 10:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Postby seanrichardryan » September 22nd, 2014, 10:06 pm

The corpse rises again just in time for Halloween. Looks as dated at Galtier.
Q. What, what? A. In da butt.

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » September 22nd, 2014, 10:07 pm

Funny this is just in time for the showcase at IDS

John
Capella Tower

Postby John » September 22nd, 2014, 10:11 pm

The corpse rises again just in time for Halloween. Looks as dated at Galtier.
Maybe dated, but I'll take it over Nic on Fifth "phase two" ;) They are going to have to do better here. And that means taller, better quality, with a stronger retail presence along Nicollet Mall. Otherwise its going to be a huge dud.

TroyGBiv
US Bank Plaza

Postby TroyGBiv » September 22nd, 2014, 11:05 pm

I'm really surprised that none of the developers seem to be able to put a multi-use tower together. Around the world that is becoming more of the norm. Offices, hotels, apartments and condos all in one building... that is fairly common in the super-talls... Bands must be nervous about the complexities in pulling git all together.

Unity77
Landmark Center

Postby Unity77 » September 22nd, 2014, 11:33 pm

They are going to have to do better here. And that means taller, better quality, with a stronger retail presence along Nicollet Mall. Otherwise its going to be a huge dud.
What leads you to believe Opus can or will do better?