St. Cloud Airport

Roads - Rails - Sidewalks - Bikeways
mulad

St. Cloud Airport

Postby mulad » August 18th, 2012, 12:22 am

St. Cloud claims to be close to getting service to Chicago and Phoenix, partly because of a $750,000 grant under the
Small Community Air Service Development Program they received last year and a pledge of $6.2 million worth of ticket sales from area businesses.

http://www.startribune.com/local/166060656.html

Of course, at this point I'll say I'd rather they just extend Northstar (the only reason I heard about this was because someone wrote a letter to the editor saying the same thing). But that definitely has drawbacks -- it'd cost way more (probably $100-200 million) and it wouldn't really shorten trips from what people there have to do today (a pain to take one 90-minute train and then another 30-minute LRT ride when you'd basically be there already if there was a direct flight). It would have a lot more benefit for in-state travelers, though.

I wonder what the ticket prices will be from STC -- I think it was pretty expensive when they last had service.

dmdhashw
Nicollet Mall

Re: St. Cloud Airport

Postby dmdhashw » August 18th, 2012, 8:21 am

I'm sure it would be considerably cheaper to take the train to MSP as opposed to take a flight, though. Regional flights tend to be the most expensive. Think of all of the people who drive from central Wisconsin to fly out of MSP or MKE, instead of flying CWA.

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » August 19th, 2012, 12:19 pm

The new service will likely be to Chicago, not MSP, which will plug you into somebody else's route schedule, not locked into Delta. I could see this being a competitive option for people in the northern suburbs. Free parking too.

mulad

Postby mulad » August 23rd, 2012, 6:18 pm

Looks like the new carrier is Allegiant Air, with the first route planned to be St. Cloud to Phoenix-Mesa Gateway Airport (AZA) in Mesa. Rather underwhelming since it's 35 miles or so from central Phoenix and a good 50-minute drive. The service is supposed to begin in December.

http://minnesota.publicradio.org/displa ... w-airline/

Looking at the airport's Wikipedia page, Allegiant also plans to start service to Rochester airport (RST) at the beginning of November. Many of the other destinations served by Allegiant at AZA are in Wisconsin, Iowa, and the Dakotas, so they really seem to be serving the snowbird market more than trying to operate as a hub. There are connections to Las Vegas, Oakland, and Honolulu, though.

nasa35

Postby nasa35 » August 23rd, 2012, 7:32 pm

it's a good start

beykite
Nicollet Mall

Postby beykite » August 23rd, 2012, 9:33 pm

Yea I figured it would be Allegiant. They usually serve the small market spring break and vacation crowds. Hopefully things will go well and they'll start up service from Saint Cloud to Las Vegas and Orlando Sanford. As for the Chicago service my guess would be United, considering they already do the Duluth-Chicago route pretty successfully. Does Saint Cloud not qualify for subsidies? Otherwise I could see Great Lakes providing service, granted it'd be on their small prop planes.

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » August 23rd, 2012, 9:48 pm

Does Saint Cloud not qualify for subsidies? Otherwise I could see Great Lakes providing service, granted it'd be on their small prop planes.
No, I think that St. Cloud is too close to MSP to qualify for Essential Air Service. Delta's old service into MSP from St. Cloud really didn't make sense, and I'd think Great Lakes flying into MSP makes even less sense. They really need service to a different hub (Chicago or maybe Denver) to capture some market.

mulad

Postby mulad » May 12th, 2014, 9:39 am

United Airlines started (resumed?) daily service to Chicago from STC on May 6th, two daily round-trips: http://www.stcloudairport.com/index.aspx?nid=119

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » May 12th, 2014, 9:57 am

I think this is new- the only service STC ever had, besides less-than-daily getaway flights on Allegiant and Sun Country, was to MSP on NW Airlink, which Delta cut within a year or two after the merger.

Chauncey87
Nicollet Mall

Postby Chauncey87 » September 23rd, 2014, 8:04 am

"SkyWest reimbursed $803,000 for revenue losses in St. Cloud"

"ST. CLOUD, Minn. — SkyWest Airlines will be paid $803,000 to cover lost revenue for the first three months of flights from St. Cloud to Chicago."

http://www.startribune.com/local/276447961.html

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » September 23rd, 2014, 8:13 am

St. Cloud suffers from a lack of critical mass. Even RST does much better by comparison, but there's obviously a large trip generator at that end of the St. Cloud - Rochester corridor. But I'm not sure the best way to build critical mass there other than to impose restrictions on operations at MSP (which needs to be done due to safety concerns anyways). If STC had operations to ORD, DEN, Florida, maybe one or two more hubs, it could get that critical mass as a reliever.

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » September 23rd, 2014, 9:17 am

Not saying that SkyWest will definitely make money on this route, but being able to tie directly into United's O'hare hub should certainly be enough to make it viable. If you're living in the northwest suburbs, it's probably faster to get to St. Cloud than it is to MSP.

nate
Landmark Center

Postby nate » September 23rd, 2014, 10:30 am

Unless your destination is Chicago, though, a transfer at ORD is necessary. If I lived in the NW burbs, I'd rather drive slightly further and pay for parking for a direct flight out of MSP than risk a transfer in Chicago.

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » September 23rd, 2014, 10:38 am

Hey, I've got no love for O'hare, believe me.

But in pricing business travel, I've found that one-stops through ORD are frequently ONE THIRD of the price of Delta's direct flights out of MSP.

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » September 23rd, 2014, 10:50 am

I've driven to RST for flights to Europe via ORD on multiple occasions since it's significantly cheaper than DL or even MSP-ORD-Europe. Airline pricing is a weird thing.

froggie
Rice Park

Postby froggie » September 24th, 2014, 8:12 am

Alternate: Southwest flights via Midway to MSP. It's what we're using in a few weeks.

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » September 24th, 2014, 10:37 am

Sure, there are lots of alternatives. But the point of the current discussion was, does scheduled service out of St. Cloud make sense? And I'd argue that, for many people (especially for the 200,000 in the St. Cloud metro area, and probably for another half million in the northwest suburbs), it probably does make sense.

Currently, they only have, what, 100 seats a day flying out of there? You'd certainly think they should be able to make that work.

Smoothuser
Block E

Postby Smoothuser » September 24th, 2014, 1:40 pm

I'd argue that, for many people (especially for the 200,000 in the St. Cloud metro area, and probably for another half million in the northwest suburbs), it probably does make sense.

Currently, they only have, what, 100 seats a day flying out of there? You'd certainly think they should be able to make that work.
Agreed, and even more so if the Northstar rail goes to St Cloud (with an airport stop or extension). Even people in Downtown Mpls may be able to save money and/or time but taking Northstar to St Cloud.

Suburban Outcast
Landmark Center

Postby Suburban Outcast » September 24th, 2014, 7:28 pm

My uncle and aunt who live north of Sartell did a roundtrip to Dublin last month from the St Cloud airport via O'Hare and Toronto to Dublin, and then via Newark and O'Hare; getting there they did alright, but their flight to O'Hare from Newark got cancelled and they ended up flying straight to MSP that night instead where my grandma and I had to drive them to Anoka to meet my cousin to pick them up to drive them the rest of the way. My uncle is an impatient prick, but that went to show that relying on transfers out of O'Hare can be risky.

exiled_antipodean
Landmark Center

Postby exiled_antipodean » September 25th, 2014, 1:09 pm

Two problems for St Cloud developing as a secondary airport for the region are 1) MSP is pretty efficient and a nice airport to use, and 2) Off peak congestion in our region is not that bad.

Secondary airports have a market in metropolitan areas where the primary airports are not great (think LAX, NYC) and where getting to a major airport is a pain. Neither of those situations really apply here.

St Cloud is also not well situated to reach the wealthier parts of the metropolitan area. Anoka County has the lowest median income of the suburban counties, and the wealthiest parts + businesses of Hennepin are in the southwest suburbs.

I just don't see the potential for more than incremental growth unless the city was going to subsidize service.