Cedar Avenue corridor - South Minneapolis

Calhoun-Isles, Cedar-Riverside, Longfellow, Nokomis, Phillips, Powderhorn, and Southwest
Archiapolis
US Bank Plaza

Re: Cedar Ave - Nokomis Area

Postby Archiapolis » October 1st, 2014, 7:58 am

There's a southwest Minneapolis (according to the city's map) so shouldn't there be a southeast Minneapolis?
There is one...the University area. It's just kind of silly in why they did it.
Not silly at all. It's related to the two major transportation arteries at the time: the river and Hennepin Ave.

Also, remember that Northeast/Southeast was originally a separate city so the naming reflects that as well. Hence Main Street is on the "wrong" side of the river, avenues suddenly switch from E-W to N-S and other oddities.
Hailing from Milwaukee which is largely on a
Burnham-like rigid Chicago grid, Minneapolis is confusing as h3ll.

When I came up here for school, I once had to go somewhere and it was at the intersection of 11th St and 11th Avenue which blew my mind that a numbered street would intersect with ANOTHER numbered street but then I got there only to find out it was the WRONG intersection of 11th St and 11th Ave. I'll never forget that day.

In Milwaukee, the streets are numbered and run north and south. 1st St. is (basically) at Lake Michigan, the numbers get larger as you go west. Wisconsin Avenue divides the city north and south. You can IMMEDIATELY know where somebody is based on an address. 2017 S. 46th Street would be 20 blocks south of Wisconsin Avenue on 46th Street.

I've lived here for 20 years and I still don't really know the streets and avenues. I navigate the city based on landmarks.

EOst
Capella Tower

Postby EOst » October 1st, 2014, 8:49 am

I've lived here for 20 years and I still don't really know the streets and avenues. I navigate the city based on landmarks.
Really? Aside from some edge cases (eg. the streets between Lyndale and Nicollet in south, Loring Park/Heights, and a couple other small areas) I can pretty much pinpoint someone on a map by their address. As long as you have the cardinal direction for the grid, I don't understand where you can really get confused.

HiawathaGuy
Wells Fargo Center

Postby HiawathaGuy » October 1st, 2014, 9:20 am

Really? Aside from some edge cases (eg. the streets between Lyndale and Nicollet in south, Loring Park/Heights, and a couple other small areas) I can pretty much pinpoint someone on a map by their address. As long as you have the cardinal direction for the grid, I don't understand where you can really get confused.
There are pockets of Minneapolis that can still confuse me (especially in N Mpls where the E/W and N/S roads are all "avenues". But NE Mpls and S Mpls all follow a pretty straight forward grid. Where Avenues run N/S and Streets run E/W, with Nicollet being the N/S dividing line between W blah blah Street and E blah blah Street, and Washington Ave downtown being the dividing line between blah blah Ave N or blah blah Ave S.

Silophant

Postby Silophant » October 1st, 2014, 9:24 am

Nitpick - Hennepin is the N/S dividing line downtown.
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » October 1st, 2014, 9:31 am

Then going west the line is Dunwoody, Bassett Creek, and Chestnut Ave in Bryn Mawr.

HiawathaGuy
Wells Fargo Center

Postby HiawathaGuy » October 1st, 2014, 9:41 am

Nitpick - Hennepin is the N/S dividing line downtown.
Oops, yes - my bad! I'm not a native Minnesotan either.

I suppose we need to steer this back to Cedar Av - Nokomis Area.

xandrex
Wells Fargo Center

Postby xandrex » October 1st, 2014, 10:32 am

There's a southwest Minneapolis (according to the city's map) so shouldn't there be a southeast Minneapolis?
There is one...the University area. It's just kind of silly in why they did it.
Not silly at all. It's related to the two major transportation arteries at the time: the river and Hennepin Ave.

Also, remember that Northeast/Southeast was originally a separate city so the naming reflects that as well. Hence Main Street is on the "wrong" side of the river, avenues suddenly switch from E-W to N-S and other oddities.
I understand why they did it, but I just mean that it doesn't really reflect the reality of the city as it is today (even if it still fits the model they set up). Certainly if they wanted to avoid the confusion, they could have turned all of NE/SE into Northeast. It would certainly make telling people where I live easier ("I live in SE Minneapolis" "Oh like down by *insert South Minneapolis landmark here*?" "No...I live near the U, west of 35." "Oh.") :mrgreen:

exiled_antipodean
Landmark Center

Postby exiled_antipodean » October 1st, 2014, 10:53 am

This thread is going off-topic, but street re-numbering and naming is a massive task with high costs. Chicago did it in 1911 because things were not logical at all. Why we'd want to do a massive re-numbering and re-centering to solve some minor confusion is not clear.

Archiapolis
US Bank Plaza

Postby Archiapolis » October 1st, 2014, 10:59 am

Then going west the line is Dunwoody, Bassett Creek, and Chestnut Ave in Bryn Mawr.
I am dim, I will grant that.

Other than the simplicity of Nicollet/Hennepin/Dunwoody/Bassett Creek/Chestnut Avenue neatly bisecting the city as the clear and undisputed north/south delineator, the existence of North, South, Southeast and Southwest "areas" (without a "West" or "East"), a grid that changes orientation based on the river (on both banks), and a north intersection of a numbered street/numbered avenue and a south intersection of the same numbered street/numbered avenue, I don't see anything to be confused by.

PhilmerPhil

Postby PhilmerPhil » December 16th, 2014, 4:15 pm

Good news for all you North Richfieldians. My Burger checking out the old Carbone's space: http://www.bizjournals.com/twincities/n ... -move.html

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » December 16th, 2014, 4:30 pm

Wow! I am so excited to see that building get redeveloped. Hopefully the tailor can stay in the neighborhood though. I'm surprised they could remodel the current Carbone's building rather than tear down and start over... it has a really awkward parking configuration.

If there was ever a node where some minor streetscape improvements could add real value and make a neighborhood pop, this is it.

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » November 1st, 2015, 8:06 pm

The new sign is up for i.e. (Italian Eatery) and the fitout looks to be nearing completion. It's a big improvement, as big as you can get keeping the crummy old building.

The old gas station at 4700 Cedar has closed. No idea what's going on there.

amiller92
Wells Fargo Center

Postby amiller92 » January 22nd, 2016, 10:25 am

There's now a dumpster in front of the old gas station.

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » January 22nd, 2016, 10:36 am

As of two days ago, they didn't have any permits pulled related to renovation. I'm still hoping there's a chance they decide to knock it down and build a new mixed-use structure rather than rehabbing the existing one.

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » April 6th, 2016, 9:58 am

Paper signage on windows suggesting a new bike shop is moving into this Powderhorn Park storefront at 38th and Cedar.
https://goo.gl/maps/pnpsv72bL792

amiller92
Wells Fargo Center

Postby amiller92 » April 6th, 2016, 10:46 am

Btw, there seems to be something going on in the old gun store storefront, where the windows are partially covered (and the gun store stickers have been removed) at 47th & Cedar. Peaked in the other day and looked like maybe they were doing food prep or something in there? Not sure if it's related to the popcorn shop or if someone's using it for a catering business or what.

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » April 6th, 2016, 10:50 am

Gun store? I've never heard of a gun store in the neighborhood other than one at 48th and Chicago back in its pre-gentrification days.

The spot between the old Cedar Quick Stop and Tom's Popcorn is a commercial prep facility for some sort of Asian grocery foods. Supposedly it used to be an actual chow mein place but then transformed into a prep kitchen for wholesale products long ago. Tom had signs for his shop in front of their windows, but there was a back and forth with the city about if it was appropriate and compliant with signage ordinances.

amiller92
Wells Fargo Center

Postby amiller92 » April 6th, 2016, 11:27 am

Gun store? I've never heard of a gun store in the neighborhood other than one at 48th and Chicago back in its pre-gentrification days.

The spot between the old Cedar Quick Stop and Tom's Popcorn is a commercial prep facility for some sort of Asian grocery foods. Supposedly it used to be an actual chow mein place but then transformed into a prep kitchen for wholesale products long ago. Tom had signs for his shop in front of their windows, but there was a back and forth with the city about if it was appropriate and compliant with signage ordinances.

Huh. I could swear it used to be a gun store, and I'm pretty certain that not long ago there were NRA and other gun-centric stickers on the door (like less than a month ago).

Anyway, we're talking about the same storefront, which I didn't realize had been in use.

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » April 6th, 2016, 12:10 pm

You're talking about Tom's Popcorn... he has NRA stickers, Guns & Ammo magazines sitting out, etc. Not sure if it's just a passion of his, or a not-so-subtle message to anyone threatening to hold him up (though it's happened at least once in the past two years anyways). But yeah, a gun enthusiast running a popcorn and ice cream storefront, not a gun shop.

PhilmerPhil

Postby PhilmerPhil » April 6th, 2016, 12:48 pm

Most likely a passion of his. As friendly as he may be, blasting conservative talk radio can be a turn off when I'm just trying to get some popcorn.