36th and Bryant Area

Calhoun-Isles, Cedar-Riverside, Longfellow, Nokomis, Phillips, Powderhorn, and Southwest
RailBaronYarr
Capella Tower

36th and Bryant Area

Postby RailBaronYarr » October 1st, 2014, 7:56 am

This is a pretty under-rated corner (IMO, obviously). Bogart's having recently opened complementing a pet food store, corner market, GiGi's (decent sandwiches and breakfast), Our Kitchen (greasy spoon breakfast), a hardware store, and a barbershop for the non-follicly-challenged. Check it out if you haven't biked through on Bryant.

First, news: The corner where a The Chair used to be (and that shares the building with Bogart's) on the NW cornet is being renovated and Uptown Plumbing/Heating/AC is moving in soon (sign is already up, sorry I haven't taken a photo). Seems like an odd spot for a service company to have a storefront, but the space is a bit small for much else.

Second, question: Does anyone know anything about the building on the SE corner housing Golden Valley Products? There's office equipment stacked in there but I never see anyone going in/out and the lights are always off. The company still maintains a website and posts odd things on their Facebook site, so I guess I can assume they're in business? Again, seems like an odd spot for a small company making printed circuits, membranes, labels, etc. Not that I'm complaining, just seems like a better spot for a restaurant or n'hood service business.

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Re: 36th and Bryant Area

Postby Wedgeguy » October 1st, 2014, 8:22 am

That is a great little retail node. I've eaten at Our Kitchen (yes greasy spoon, but they have steady business and sometimes there is no place to sit. Now they will not be able to utilize their out door seating with fall approaching. I like the hardware store , and have used the market for lottery ticket or two when walking thru the area.

The plumbing and heating sign has been up since summer. I figured it has to be a reservations office as there is no extra space for materials close to them. I'm surprised that is not finished yet with how small that space it. GPV on the opposite corner has been a mystery to me for a long time. They don't seem to have an official showroom or retail space. I don't even see a real front door to the place. Most door are just filmed over. Bryant has a few great little retail nodes south of 31st. For those who didn't know this was one of the stronger street car lines south of Lake Street.

TommyT
Target Field

Postby TommyT » October 1st, 2014, 8:31 am

I lived at 36th and Colfax the first year I lived in Minneapolis and LOVED this corner. Gigi's was always a great go to for after work dinner if I didn't want to cook and the convenience store was... well, convenient. I was pretty disappointed that not all neighborhoods have cute local shops like this. I wish there were more scattered throughout Minneapolis that serve the neighborhood. I wonder if the lightening of the liquor laws will encourage more neighborhood bar/restaurants since they won't have to be quite so stringent on what/how much they sell?

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » October 1st, 2014, 9:50 am

This may be one of the more vibrant of the nodes (no doubt to the higher density and relatively high disposable income of the adjoining neighborhoods), but they really are scattered throughout the entire city, where ever streetcars used to run. Many of them have been greatly revitalized and re-energized in the last ten years.

RailBaronYarr
Capella Tower

Postby RailBaronYarr » October 1st, 2014, 12:05 pm

Given the relative wealth and density stretching down Bryant-Emerson to 36th, I'm surprised a larger grocer hasn't opened up somewhere between 36th-38th and Bryant-Lyndale. The nearest full-service grocers west of 35W are Lunds & Cub in Uptown and Kowalski's down at 54th. I'd think the Lyndale, Kingfield, and SE portion of CARAG could support a 5-10k sqft store in this vicinity (something similar to Cup Foods). Some rough calculations using the OnTheMap polygon tool (which lists workers, averaged up to total population) tells me a 1/2 mile walk from 36th/Bryant has about 6-8k people. I guess I would think a store with fresh produce, a small deli, and all the basics could really pull most of the daily shopping needs for people within a <10 minute walk.

While I'm being selfish and dreaming, a daycare center that allows infants would be great, too.

winterfan
Metrodome

Postby winterfan » October 1st, 2014, 1:49 pm

Years ago, before GiGi's, there was a great little butcher shop and bakery (Annabelle's) that had decent, cheap doughnuts. I loved that butcher shop. There was a Vietnamese restaurant on the SE corner as well, but then GVP took over the corner when the owners retired. I'm pretty sure they owned another restaurant on 38th St (next to Rincon 38).

I'm not sure how viable a deli/produce market is. There used to be a little grocery/gourmet food/deli a few years back on the SW corner of 38th and Grand. It was a nice place, but I don't think it got the traffic it needed to stay in business. Maybe the demand is there on 36th and Bryant. Kyle's is already there for quick grocery purchases though. The pet supply store used to be another convenience grocery store, but Kyle's bought the building.

thatchio
Nicollet Mall

Postby thatchio » October 3rd, 2014, 7:46 pm

I believe GVP is a successful firm that has a number of jobs within the building. Also, Uptown Plumbing/AC/Heating is big into marketing, so a sales office wouldn't be that surprising. The owner is a really nice guy the few times I've interacted with him.

This is a fantastic little node that hopefully will have continued support. Bryant Hardware is incredibly small but packed full of material. I hope people continue to support them.

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » October 4th, 2014, 9:46 am

I believe Uptown Plumbing is now located in North MPLS up on Washington. I believe North of Broadway. Maybe their IT needs and marketing would benefit, as they should be either putting in or have put in Fiber down Bryant. Would speed up their network.

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » November 5th, 2014, 2:37 pm

I am likely moving to Dupont & 36th (mid-block, thank god) in early 2015. My future apartment is in the 2nd tallest building in the area, second only to Treetops @ Calhoun (36th & Bryant, behind Gigi's, etc.). I'd be on the top floor (of 4.5), facing Calhoun.

It looks like I'll be equidistant from Cub Foods as I am today, at 28th & Grand. It'll be great to be closer to the lake, and super close to breakfast/coffee. It'll suck to be so much further from the Greenway, and quite a bit further from LynLake. It will be awesome to have such direct access to the 36th St entrance/exit on 35W, so I can avoid Lake St/31st forever.

Looking at traffic counts (and thinking of nuisance traffic noise), 36th actually carries quite a bit of traffic, comparable with 28th. I'd guess that 36th has significantly less nighttime traffic than 28th, and it probably moves a bit slower/quieter as well.

I've only been in Kyle's Market once, but it doesn't look like a place I'll shop at a whole bunch. Maybe for milk or something in a pinch, but chances are I'll keep going to Rainbow or hitting Kowalski's on the drive home.

RailBaronYarr
Capella Tower

Postby RailBaronYarr » January 28th, 2015, 10:25 am

I just scheduled a quote visit with Uptown Plumbing/AC/Heating and asked about their space on 36th and Bryant. It's actually not even a sales office at all, but a rentable space for the community. Examples she gave were: "painting parties, yoga, casual hangouts, etc" where you don't have enough room in your home/apartment to have like 30 people over. The signage/paint is all advertising (my estimation) since they have no presence in the building itself. She said it should be finishing up real soon. I can't find anything on their website (or even in back posts of the blog) to confirm, but this is a pretty cool idea on their part, assuming it works out.

Edit: Page 8 of this confirms the intent. Not sure how I missed that.

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » January 28th, 2015, 12:37 pm

I'm moving to 35th & Dupont this Sunday!!

I'm pretty pumped, except that I just realized how far away from a (good) liquor store I'm going to be. Lake Wine & Spirits (Lake & Grand), I will miss you!

This corner could really use a Kings Wine Bar or Lowbrow type of place. I feel like nothing at that corner is open past 6pm. I guess Gigi technically is open til 9, but I'm hesitant to even count that, as it's primarily coffee/breakfast. Are there other places nearby to get dinner and/or a beer that I'm not thinking of? (either Lyndale & 36th, or Hennepin & 36th area?)

I'll be neighbors with RBY and just a couple blocks from PhilmerPhil!

PhilmerPhil

Postby PhilmerPhil » January 28th, 2015, 12:48 pm

I LOVE Vo's Vietnamese. $3 Surly cans can't be beat, and the owner is a super friendly dude. The food's alright, but really well priced, there aren't any taps, and the overall vibe isn't like a King's/Lowbrow kinda place, but I just wanted to put that recommendation out there.

RailBaronYarr
Capella Tower

Postby RailBaronYarr » January 28th, 2015, 1:43 pm

I was just saying to my wife we needed a Lowbrow/Northbound kind of place.. decent food menu and some taps and later hours. Would fit in very well at that corner, a small patio wouldn't generate a lot of noise but it would continue the foot traffic from daylight hours at the shops/etc into the evening. I STILL need to make it to Vo's.

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » February 2nd, 2015, 4:04 pm

I'm all moved in @ Dupont & 35th. Took the day off work to unpack and check out the area. Had breakfast and several cups of coffee at Gigis, something I'm sure will be a regular occurrence. As discussed above, this is a really "complete" neighborhood node. It has all of the classic, essential businesses covered: small grocer, hardware, barber, breakfast x2. The barber could adjust their hours though, 8-5 on weekdays is stupid. Why not 10-7 or something more usable for working people? Who the hell gets a haircut at 8am anyways? If I make it in there, I'll probably bring that up. (Also, how old is the barber? Just curious.)

The corner is definitely lacking a dinner place. It would be great if the GVP building would turn over to a place with happy hour, open til 11 or 12, etc. Anything along the spectrum from like World Street Kitchen casual to Lowbrow or Kings would be fine with me.

HiawathaGuy
Wells Fargo Center

Postby HiawathaGuy » February 2nd, 2015, 4:36 pm

The barber could adjust their hours though, 8-5 on weekdays is stupid. Why not 10-7 or something more usable for working people? Who the hell gets a haircut at 8am anyways? If I make it in there, I'll probably bring that up. (Also, how old is the barber? Just curious.)
Congrats on getting settled in! Those are strange hours for a barber. If you want another suggestion in the area, check out LynLake Barber 3019 Lyndale Ave S. 10-7 hours, and $15 haircuts. Jason, Gabriel or Cheli will be happy to see you. I go to Cheli.

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » February 2nd, 2015, 6:11 pm

Re: Barbers

I went to Cheli when I first moved to the area in 2011. For whatever reason, wasn't thrilled about my 2nd or 3rd cut there and kept looking. I landed on Steve at Circle H (Lake & Bryant, building between Dunn Bros & SA) and I've been really happy with the quality there. His prices have gone from ~$17 up to $25 since 2011 though, but I've found it to be worth it for how thorough a job he does (hot shave of the neck with the straight razor and everything). Steve is exactly the type of local businessman for whom you can feel good about paying a little extra. I did recently try Kenwood Barbers and was happy with the job they did for $15. Also been to Audie at Bryant Ave Barbers.

tl;dr Steve at Circle H is one of the best around, but is priced at near-salon level ($25) compared to everyone else in the $15-range.

Back on topic, does anyone know what the plans are for that shack next to Bogarts? Same property owner as Uptown Plumbing. This corner would be an excellent candidate for redevelopment. Only Bogarts would have to find a new home, Uptown Plumbing could even have equity stake in new development.

LakeCharles
Foshay Tower

Postby LakeCharles » February 2nd, 2015, 6:35 pm

Gabriel at LynLake also does the hot shave of the neck with a straight razor as well. For $15, it's a great deal. I'm sure circle h is great too though!

DFPegg
Metrodome

Postby DFPegg » February 2nd, 2015, 6:59 pm

If I remember right the guy who owns that barbershop is the son of the fellow who owns the hardware store, which has been around for 60-odd years. A real neighborhood institution. There's a bunch of senior housing around there too so I just figured he had an established clientele that allowed him to work the hours he needs. He's also charging less than 15 bucks

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » February 2nd, 2015, 7:44 pm

In addition to actual senior housing in the area (Walker Methodist on the 3700 block of Bryant), there do seem to be older residents in my building as well. At least older than in any previous place I've lived, by a long shot. I've heard that the Treetops @ Calhoun building (7-story behind Gigis, Kyle's, etc.) was originally built as senior housing, which helps explain how a 7-story building landed in an otherwise 2.5-3.5 story area. I don't know how long ago it was converted to a regular apartment building, but it's possible that the turnover in residents isn't quite complete.

Also, as an aside, my 5-story building and the 7-story Treetops building on Bryant really makes me think that hypothetical resistance to hypothetical redevelopment at the corner of 36th & Bryant would be at least somewhat tempered by reality. It would be hard to say, with a straight face, that a new 5 story building would be "out of scale". The area has plenty of 3.5-4 story buildings that are 90 years old and my 5-story building has been around since 1972. The NW corner of the intersection is really attractive from a redevelopment perspective (nice visible corner, single owner, etc.)

RailBaronYarr
Capella Tower

Postby RailBaronYarr » February 2nd, 2015, 7:48 pm

From a CARAG LU&T meeting a couple months ago it was stated that the owner wants to make good use of the garage/driveway. The link a few posts back says:
Joseph will begin ren-ovations to the garage on the property adding glass and steel garage doors and hard wood floors for the interior. He also plans to upgrade the empty area adjacent to the garage and Bog-art’s Doughnuts with landscaping.
I think the building with Uptown HVAC/Plumbing will end up being a tiny restaurant at some point, but I agree that this corner is prime for redevelopment.

Also, the corner just south would seem to be a good fit as well. The area south of Calhoun Pet Supply is a former building and open (but sunk) area. If someone could assemble that parcel with the ones along 36th to the alley, you could build a decent sized structure with minimal excavation costs.