Sprawl

Introductions - Urban Issues - Miscellaneous News, Topics, Interests
metro411
Block E

Re: Sprawl

Postby metro411 » October 7th, 2014, 10:49 pm

Has anyone read this article on Startribune? It is about a former traffic engineer from Brainerd, Minn. talking up smart growth.. Interesting!! http://www.startribune.com/politics/sta ... y#continue

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » October 8th, 2014, 8:43 am

Hm, never heard of him. Thanks for posting.

mister.shoes
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mister.shoes » October 8th, 2014, 2:08 pm

Matt, either you forgot your "/s" tag or you're being a bit of a dick. Take this opportunity to realize that a lot of people interested in urbanism and smart growth might not know who/what Chuck/Strong Towns is and work on getting the message out more!
The problem with being an introvert online is that no one knows you're just hanging out and listening.

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » October 8th, 2014, 2:24 pm

I meant it as a chuckle for those in the know yet possibly serious for those not, not mean-spirited sarcasm. If that's not how it came across, it wasn't my intent.

mister.shoes
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mister.shoes » October 9th, 2014, 8:28 am

Yeah, sorry. I read it as a "look at this guy over here telling us about Chuck...isn't that adorable?" Might have overreacted a bit in calling you out. Apologies.
The problem with being an introvert online is that no one knows you're just hanging out and listening.

FISHMANPET
IDS Center

Postby FISHMANPET » October 9th, 2014, 8:31 am

For those that aren't in on the joke, we're very familiar with StrongTowns here, especially mattaudio who is a member and I'm sure has met Chuck on many occasions.

Realstreets
Nicollet Mall

Postby Realstreets » October 10th, 2014, 7:33 am

I hope he doesn't stray too far from his bread and butter. I found Marohn so fascinating precisely because he focused on road design and transportation. You can have great, dense, diverse cities and still have overbuilt, dangerous roads. There's so much more work that needs to be done on this front (like simply educating lay people) and I think starting to talk about the murky topic of growth and suburbanism detracts a little from that effort.

helsinki
Landmark Center

Postby helsinki » September 10th, 2015, 1:46 pm

Quite possibly this has been shared elsewhere, but if not, this seems like it might be the right place to do so:

"The Idiocy of Traffic Studies"

See: http://urbankchoze.blogspot.com/2015/09 ... ign=buffer

Very thorough explanation (by a traffic engineer) about the negative unintended consequences of applying structural engineering principles to what are actually economic and social - not engineering - dilemmas.

mplsjaromir
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mplsjaromir » September 25th, 2015, 12:22 pm

Cool Pope hates Sprawl and thinks architects need to focus less on building aesthetics.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/wonk ... c-transit/

seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Postby seanrichardryan » October 11th, 2015, 10:38 pm

Found this gem on the youtubes: Community Growth: Crisis and Challenge (1959) https://youtu.be/yyRJc5mfDGs
Q. What, what? A. In da butt.