RBC Gateway & Four Seasons - 37 stories - 519'

Downtown - North Loop - Mill District - Elliot Park - Loring Park
mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Re: Nicollet Hotel Block

Postby mattaudio » February 12th, 2014, 2:26 pm

Agreed, it makes sense to slice that block diagonally. Now is the time to make it happen.

mullen
Foshay Tower

Postby mullen » October 15th, 2014, 10:52 am

looking for something "iconic". let's hope.
http://www.ci.minneapolis.mn.us/cped/cped_rfp

HiawathaGuy
Wells Fargo Center

Postby HiawathaGuy » October 15th, 2014, 10:58 am

Very fun! Hopefully they'll have more interest this time!

John
Capella Tower

Postby John » October 15th, 2014, 10:59 am

Nice to see the city has some high expectations here! We need more of this attitude in our downtown development.

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » October 15th, 2014, 12:01 pm

Not fewer than 20 stories! That would be nice :) especially paired with some iconic design. One thing I like about developing this block instead of a full block park is that with the library being such a dynamic piece of architecture, it should be something to happen upon. Meaning you can't see it from blocks in every direction. I think the effect would be much better if you can't see it until you are upon it, and then you're forced to take it all in. That's how Seattle's Central Branch is and it's awesome. It's kind of depressing to have such a nice building/piece of infrastructure just be an island.

acs
Wells Fargo Center

Postby acs » October 15th, 2014, 12:15 pm

Strib Article on the topic.

http://www.startribune.com/blogs/279314082.html

Glad to see the city using their own property to push for something iconic in the area, unlike Opus.

Gman12
Nicollet Mall

Postby Gman12 » October 15th, 2014, 12:38 pm

Time for the developers that the Rumorists assured us were working on something for the Ritz block, to propose something iconic here.

I think it would be cool to get creative here instead of just a full block building for the first couple floors of this to be designed sort of as a gateway and run the street car through it or work in public space or park area or bike lanes that goes through it. The building doesn't have to take up the whole block either, maybe have 1/4 block triangle at the Hennepin/Washington corner as part of a gateway park and street car stop.

TroyGBiv
US Bank Plaza

Postby TroyGBiv » October 15th, 2014, 12:42 pm

It seems that most of the best developments in the last 30 years are full block projects. It gives the architect a full site to integrate with the 4 facing blocks. IDS, Gaviidae, City Center(ugly but was alive for more than 20 years)... The blocks and skyways that are chopped feel like they are band-aided together like a habitrail (hamster maze)... I think that it is likely that getting interest in the Nicollet will increase the value and speed up the process for the Ritz block.

HiawathaGuy
Wells Fargo Center

Postby HiawathaGuy » October 15th, 2014, 12:47 pm

I think that it is likely that getting interest in the Nicollet will increase the value and speed up the process for the Ritz block.
Agreed - the north end of Nicollet and DT East lots (along with the North Loop) seem to be falling like dominoes. It's really fun to watch/hope/dream.

Silophant

Postby Silophant » October 15th, 2014, 12:50 pm

Maybe this would be better off in the rumors thread, but surely the Lord and Taylor's/Four Seasons/spec office coalition would be interested in here now that the Ritz Block is apparently off the table, right? Further from the LRT and office core, sure, but on three major streets and closer to the river.

Edit: Like Gman said. That'll teach me to sit on a post for 15 min before submitting.
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]

go4guy
Foshay Tower

Postby go4guy » October 15th, 2014, 1:15 pm

Shouldnt they wait on this til they determine the exact route of the streetcar thru this block? Or would the development dictate that?

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » October 15th, 2014, 1:17 pm

Both :)

I think the reason they prepared multiple streetcar alignments around/through the block for the express purpose of being flexible. As engineering design moves forward, one of the alternatives may be less efficient operationally, or pose safety concerns for peds/bikes/cars and that option(s) will be eliminated. I think the city will probably have an answer on that issue by the end of the year.

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » October 15th, 2014, 1:39 pm

I'm definitely in favor of the corner to corner diagonal alignment for the streetcar through this block.

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » October 15th, 2014, 1:42 pm

Was that an option? I saw one that was a very slight corner cut (presumably the smaller triangle would've been station plaza / green space / public art). The rest of the options went around the block in one manner or another.

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » October 15th, 2014, 1:48 pm

Yes, that's the one you're referring to. I guess it isn't completely corner to corner which probably makes intersections easier, but it cuts the block at a diagonal. The more dedicated ROW the better (incl Nic Mall or inside lanes of Hennepin near the bridge) especially if it can avoid a short jog on Washington or 3rd.

Lancestar2

Postby Lancestar2 » October 15th, 2014, 2:07 pm

Can the market still absorb more residential units here? Considering the Ritz block planning 2 30floor towers would there still be demand for another (at least) 20 floor residential tower? Also what is the occupancy rate for commercial space? Could downtown Minneapolis absorb another IDS size commercial tower? Is there STILL more demand for hotel rooms in this location considering all the new rooms under construction.

Also does anybody know how this "downtown West" development area compares to downtown East in dollars invested? Granted it's not a multi block development plan but surly it's starting to compare in scale to downtown East right? , Nic on fifth, 4Marq, Xcel building, Ritz Planned 2 towers, The Hotel(s) planned on Hennepin Ave near the Library, and now this block as well. Also any reason why we are seeing development so centralized around this point?

Also if were seeing this much residential development in downtown west does that mean we may be increasing the downtown population build-out capacity? If this location is connected into the skyway system (via Library, Ritz block, and Nic and fifth) would we see a possibility of a dense hotel?

Would be disappointing to see no public park thought with already tons of green space existing dogs will have plenty places to tinkle, plus maybe we will see a demand for a better riverfront connection from this general area? Perhaps this might be the location for a new tallest building?

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » October 15th, 2014, 2:16 pm

There is still a lot of demand Lancestar. There are lots of letters of intent for this part of Minneapolis, people will still want to move downtown as well. I really haven't seen anything making downtown worse, just better. This won't be the only downtown taller than 20 story project we'll see in the next year or so. I've been told there are a few we'll hear about sometime soonish. Development is more centralized because that's where people want to build. They're open lots up for grabs and are up for grabs, and I'd rather see the ones in the core go before the ones on the outer.

min-chi-cbus
Capella Tower

Postby min-chi-cbus » October 16th, 2014, 8:24 am

I know many of you aren't huge fans of rumors/speculation, but according to some unnamed persons on another website that should also remain unnamed, there is talk of a proposal/concept for 30-40 floors of an apartment/hotel mix, with a very large retail/office component as well.

Now what I don't understand is how this could possibly be true if they JUST submitted an RFP for this site -- presumably to generate the types of proposals rumored above? Does this happen often in the industry (there is already interest from a private party and then the City will come in an ask for an RFP to see if anybody else wants to "up the ante")?

woofner
Wells Fargo Center

Postby woofner » October 16th, 2014, 10:39 am

So this means there'll never be a nice park on this end of downtown, right? Great planning for a planning department.
"Who rescued whom!"

mister.shoes
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mister.shoes » October 16th, 2014, 10:46 am

The riverfront and the Park Board's extensive plans to improve that northward from just south of Hennepin doesn't count? Neither does the small triangle to the north of this or Cancer Survivors' Park to the east?
The problem with being an introvert online is that no one knows you're just hanging out and listening.