Capella Tower

Re: Pentagon Park (Hwy 100 & Industrial Blvd) - Edina

Postby min-chi-cbus » May 23rd, 2014, 7:11 am

How about:

Platinum Park
Fred Richards Park
Fred Fields
Edina Corporate Business Park (ECBP)
Sunset Exchange at Xavier Crossing (SEX-C)

IDK.....I highly doubt it'll be very eyebrow-raising.

Anondson
IDS Center

Postby Anondson » May 23rd, 2014, 11:59 am

Nine Mile [blank], because Nine Mile Trail will run through the site. Fill in the blank with whatever colorfully bland tag gets the most civic votes...

min-chi-cbus
Capella Tower

Postby min-chi-cbus » May 23rd, 2014, 12:09 pm

What about "Nine Mile Blank" then? It'd be a conversation-starter at least!

John21
Rice Park

Postby John21 » June 8th, 2014, 10:58 am

Anondson
IDS Center

Pentagon Park (Hwy 100 & Industrial Blvd) - Edina

Postby Anondson » June 8th, 2014, 11:23 am

How do we make a truck route pedestrian friendly? Snelling Avenue shows it's a hefty challenge.

This kind of redevelopment project, like DT East, doesn't come around often it's not a one off building . If this is to get done well this will need strong pedestrian and cycling advocates to speak.

Anondson
IDS Center

Postby Anondson » July 1st, 2014, 9:35 pm

Related: upcoming meeting on repurposing the adjacent Fred Richards golf course after it is closed after this season.

http://current.mnsun.com/2014/07/upcomi ... purposing/

Anondson
IDS Center

Postby Anondson » September 17th, 2014, 1:24 pm

Scott Neal (city manager) tweeted that the State will help fund demolition of Pentagon Park.

https://twitter.com/edinacityman/status ... 7786547200

mister.shoes
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mister.shoes » October 7th, 2014, 10:19 pm

Barriers and fencing are up around the tallest part of the complex up against MN100. It's a little odd, though, because the barriers are really close to the buildings. The parking lot isn't blocked off at all. I figured the barriers would be out by the lot line. *shrug*
The problem with being an introvert online is that no one knows you're just hanging out and listening.

mister.shoes
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mister.shoes » October 21st, 2014, 8:01 am

Demo has definitely started. I forgot to look yesterday on my way home, but last week there was a pretty big pile of refuse forming below the tallest part of the tower.
The problem with being an introvert online is that no one knows you're just hanging out and listening.

mister.shoes
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mister.shoes » October 21st, 2014, 9:43 pm

Well, hello there. Demolition has *officially* begun: http://www.startribune.com/local/west/279986802.html

sdho
US Bank Plaza

Postby sdho » October 23rd, 2014, 1:42 pm

Barriers and fencing are up around the tallest part of the complex up against MN100. It's a little odd, though, because the barriers are really close to the buildings. The parking lot isn't blocked off at all. I figured the barriers would be out by the lot line. *shrug*
Part of the parking lot is leased out to tenants across the street, and is still in use by employees of Cafe Inc, Makers Cafe, and Red's Savoy Pizza. I'm assuming they won't close that off until they absolutely have to.

mister.shoes
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mister.shoes » October 23rd, 2014, 1:45 pm

I did not know that. Thank you!

TTT
Metrodome

Postby TTT » October 27th, 2014, 10:06 am

It doesn't seem that there are any proposals for this area yet - is that correct?

nordeast homer
US Bank Plaza

Postby nordeast homer » October 27th, 2014, 11:04 am

Hard to say, I've seen master plans with building layouts, I've even seen square footage for individual buildings, but I have not seen images for the individual buildings. I know the master plan was approved by the city, but I'm not sure if any specific structural plans have been submitted or approved.
The "tower" will be gone shortly; it looks like anything internal has been shoved out through some holes they made in the exterior. I'd assume it will be gone soon. The small buildings around it will be gone too; they've been removing the recycleable items the last week or two.

iMad
Block E

Postby iMad » October 28th, 2014, 3:46 pm

I thought I'd provide my info about the development. My office used to be in one of the buildings around the tower and we moved into the renovated part of Pentagon Park that's not being redeveloped yet. The developers are trying to get everybody out of there rapidly because they are trying to fast track development. We selected our new space in late July they designed and built it out in less than a month, and we moved in September 1st.

They're looking to have the tower and the four buildings that surround it completely demolished by the end of the year. It looks like only the west office building of those five are still occupied, which I'm pretty sure is a phone bank. We were told they wanted to take our building down the same time the rest of them went. The daycare that is located in an adjacent building along W 77th most likely has a long term lease because I heard they are not moving currently.

I haven't been in my old building since we moved out but it now has a big "construction office" sign on it so it looks like it's not getting demolished yet. I know that a tenant in my old building still had two year lease so Hillcrest is probably offering them a deal to move out if they haven't yet.

From my knowledge they are planning on starting the development in the spring but that relies on getting the last remaining tenants out and getting their plan approved by the city. The site plans that I saw show it incorporating with the new park that is going in where Fred Richards Golf Course currently. They are probably working with the city on the road and trail layouts for the area to make it work best with the new parkway the city is planning along Fred Richards.

I saw surveyors around the area today so it probably will still be a while until we see any renderings but I'd expect to see construction by spring or early summer.

Anondson
IDS Center

Postby Anondson » October 30th, 2014, 10:32 pm

sdho
US Bank Plaza

Postby sdho » October 31st, 2014, 1:49 pm

Looks nice, although I would have liked to have seen a more functional connection with the parkway on the east end (like replacing the existing Fred Richards drive that connects to Parklawn between 76th and 77th).

The connections to the Nine Mile Creek Trail and Edina promenade are a huge improvement. I bike to this area each day for work, and literally the only ways to get to my office space are via 77th from the east or winding around on Metro Blvd (and going through a very inhospitable interchange) from the west. There is zero access to the neighborhood to the north. Adding two bike/ped connections (via Nine Mile Creek Trail to west and Kellogg Ave to north) is huge.

sdho
US Bank Plaza

Postby sdho » October 31st, 2014, 1:53 pm

Although I wish they'd done on-street parking along the parkway (with bumpouts, Minneapolis parkway style) rather than the lot. Although both the park and lots are much larger, the parking situation at Veterans Park in Richfield is a real problem, with acres of asphalt extending too deep into the park. Even if it's the same volume of pavement, stretching it out along the perimeter is a lot less disruptive to the park feeling

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » October 31st, 2014, 1:59 pm

Suburbanites are scared of parallel parking.

It's true.