Seven Points Uptown (Calhoun Square)

Calhoun-Isles, Cedar-Riverside, Longfellow, Nokomis, Phillips, Powderhorn, and Southwest
grant1simons2
IDS Center

Re: Calhoun Square

Postby grant1simons2 » July 30th, 2014, 1:43 pm

I got that part but why'd we just now start saying Bulldoze it and so on. Are people just tired of it sitting there?

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » July 30th, 2014, 1:54 pm

I got that part but why'd we just now start saying Bulldoze it and so on. Are people just tired of it sitting there?
Will not get bulldozed. Part of the building is an old school so there would be historic HPC to get by. All they have to do is some real work on the floor arrangement and get the suburban mall feel out of it. I have no problem with the center skylight that bring in natural light. I do have a problem with the unused space outside of Libertine in the building. Also the entrance on Hennepin by Kitchen Window has too much wasted mess. Hopefully Ackerberg will make more square footage revenue producing and less a suburban mall.

web

Postby web » July 30th, 2014, 7:48 pm

The old school was bulldozed for the parking garage. calhoun square is not historic.

http://mpshistory.mpls.k12.mn.us/upload ... alhoun.pdf for more info......

uptowner
City Center

Postby uptowner » August 7th, 2014, 7:43 am

New store moving in to Calhoun Square. http://m.bizjournals.com/twincities/mor ... eaded.html

TommyT
Target Field

Postby TommyT » August 7th, 2014, 7:48 am

New store moving in to Calhoun Square. http://m.bizjournals.com/twincities/mor ... eaded.html
Jeeze, how many outdoor clothing stores can that area support? The North Face, Timberland, Columbia and now this one makes 4.

Viktor Vaughn
Target Field

Postby Viktor Vaughn » August 7th, 2014, 12:58 pm

Great news for those who want to spend $600 on a rain coat.

HiawathaGuy
Wells Fargo Center

Postby HiawathaGuy » August 7th, 2014, 1:34 pm

I may never ever shop at this store, or need a $600 rain coat for that matter. But I certainly enjoy the fact that we are the 2nd of what looks to be 3 locations for this company. Seattle, Minneapolis and soon Portland. I see that as a very positive thing for Minneapolis.

LakeCharles
Foshay Tower

Postby LakeCharles » August 7th, 2014, 2:22 pm

Obviously you are not the target market, but they make fantastic stuff. Breathable, waterproof jackets that will last your lifetime, and stay waterproof and breathable the whole time. If you have the money and participate in such activities, it's worth it to buy quality gear that will last forever. In the end, you'll pay a similar amount as someone who buys a new cheap jacket every few years, and you will have a superior product the whole time.

That being said, if the only time you need a rain coat is to walk from your car to your house 5 times a year, then of course it'd be silly to spend $600 on it.

xandrex
Wells Fargo Center

Postby xandrex » August 7th, 2014, 2:46 pm

I may never ever shop at this store, or need a $600 rain coat for that matter. But I certainly enjoy the fact that we are the 2nd of what looks to be 3 locations for this company. Seattle, Minneapolis and soon Portland. I see that as a very positive thing for Minneapolis.
This.

No, I can't afford this (just like I can't afford Shinola or Filson). But I love the fact that the company has faith in Minneapolis enough to open their second store in the country here. And before Portland. I think that's a good sign.

Viktor Vaughn
Target Field

Postby Viktor Vaughn » August 7th, 2014, 2:51 pm

Yeah, as a backpacker, snowboarder, skier, and rock climber I need no convincing that Arc'teryx makes extremely quality gear. That said, I've been unable to justify buying Arc'teryx even when it's 65% off at Thrifty Outfitters or Steep & Cheap. Even if that $600 raincoat is clearanced for $270 that money could go a whole lot further at north face or columbia. Of course to each their own, if you want to trample kittens on your way to the store to buy $700 snowpants, who am I to judge?

Of course, it's a good indicator that they'd open their second store here, especially since we don't have mountains. I was just trying to point out their market is extremely narrow. As a well-paid professional obsessed with great outdoor gear, I couldn't even afford to walk in that place.

Minneboy
US Bank Plaza

Postby Minneboy » August 7th, 2014, 3:56 pm

We all know who their customers will be and they'll do just fine.

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » August 7th, 2014, 5:24 pm

we've long been one of the most recreational cities in America I'm surprised anyone is surprised.

TommyT
Target Field

Postby TommyT » October 24th, 2014, 12:10 pm

Calhoun Square will bring vendors in on the weekends for a "winter market"

http://www.bizjournals.com/twincities/m ... arket.html

mamundsen
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mamundsen » October 24th, 2014, 12:16 pm

Calhoun Square will bring vendors in on the weekends for a "winter market"

http://www.bizjournals.com/twincities/m ... arket.html
Free competition for the Holidazzle replacement? Uh oh!

David Greene
IDS Center

Postby David Greene » October 28th, 2014, 11:28 am

I was just up in Duluth recently. If we were to bring in one more outdoor store, I'd want it to be Duluth Trading Company! Man, their shirts are awesome.

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » October 28th, 2014, 12:37 pm

I was just up in Duluth recently. If we were to bring in one more outdoor store, I'd want it to be Duluth Trading Company! Man, their shirts are awesome.
isn't there one in the northern burbs? lame. I think north loop or uptown totally needs that.

Didier
Capella Tower

Postby Didier » October 28th, 2014, 12:49 pm

I think Duluth Trading Co. only recently started opening brick and mortar stores. They used to be a catalog. Or something. Pretty sure there's not even a store in Duluth.

There is a newer store in Richfield (?) just off 35W.

seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Postby seanrichardryan » October 28th, 2014, 12:51 pm

... lame. I think north loop or uptown totally needs that.
Just what we need, more people wearing work-wear ironically.

http://www.duluthtrading.com/store/dtc- ... tores.aspx
Last edited by seanrichardryan on October 28th, 2014, 1:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Q. What, what? A. In da butt.

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » October 28th, 2014, 1:00 pm

I think Duluth Trading Co. only recently started opening brick and mortar stores. They used to be a catalog. Or something. Pretty sure there's not even a store in Duluth.

There is a newer store in Richfield (?) just off 35W.
There is most definitely a store in Duluth, although it only opened within the past year or so, well after the catalog aspect of their business was well-established.

Tyler
Foshay Tower

Postby Tyler » October 28th, 2014, 1:04 pm

Duluth Trading is work-wear? I thought they specialized in baggy pants and tall tees?
Towns!