Loring Vue Apartments - (415 Oak Grove Street)

Downtown - North Loop - Mill District - Elliot Park - Loring Park
minneapolisguy
Nicollet Mall

Re: Loring Vue Apartments - (415 Oak Grove Street)

Postby minneapolisguy » September 21st, 2012, 6:11 pm

below are a couple images from tonight - the second image is a pano shot taken with my iPhone - so the building looks curved when it's not - but you knew that right.

min-chi-cbus
Capella Tower

Postby min-chi-cbus » September 21st, 2012, 9:47 pm

Makes me wish it were curved!

minneapolisguy
Nicollet Mall

Postby minneapolisguy » September 21st, 2012, 10:05 pm

Here is another shot -

minneapolisguy
Nicollet Mall

Postby minneapolisguy » September 22nd, 2012, 6:36 am

Here is a view from the backside - the siding crew has been working weekend mornings and they are out there again this morning in this cold wind. Wouldn't be my initial color choices - but it's a nice neutral pattern that blends well and doesn't overpower the coloring of the other buildings nearby I guess.
The roofing on the 7th floor is almost complete now.

John
Capella Tower

Postby John » September 22nd, 2012, 9:37 am

The stone material looks nice and complements the warm beige brick. The beige brick relates to the coloration of some of the buildings nearby. The stone is the same one BKV used at Lake and Knox, but here they are using it in a more refined way, so that it integrates better with the composition of the whole facade. So far nicely done, especially on the Oak Grove side.

Avian
Union Depot

Postby Avian » September 22nd, 2012, 11:52 am

The brick and stone on the Oak Grove side should weather differently and so I hope they have a bit more contrast in the future. Right now their tones are too similar and the effect seems washed out. But that's just my preference.

“Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something.”
― Plato

John
Capella Tower

Postby John » September 22nd, 2012, 4:12 pm

The brick and stone on the Oak Grove side should weather differently and so I hope they have a bit more contrast in the future. Right now their tones are too similar and the effect seems washed out. But that's just my preference.
I get what your saying, but I think they purposely made the stone and brick contrast subtle. And there will be more of a dramatic contrast when the black, copper, and silver materials are added to the remainder of the building exterior.

danie123182
City Center

Postby danie123182 » September 24th, 2012, 9:17 am

Am I the only one that HATES seeing seams in the brick fascade where there should really be none if it were real brick? There has to be a way to integrate the brick fascade without those hideous seams that let you know from afar that this building was made cheaply.

seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Postby seanrichardryan » September 24th, 2012, 10:01 am

We had this conversation in one of the U of M threads. All brick has seams now. It's up to the designer to find good ways of hiding them or making them part of the design.
Q. What, what? A. In da butt.

FISHMANPET
IDS Center

Postby FISHMANPET » September 24th, 2012, 11:01 am

Even if it were the case that real brick didn't have seems while brick paneling didn't, I would say it doesn't matter.

Brick paneling isn't brick, so it shouldn't be judged as brick. On that same token, it also shouldn't be used as a brick substitute. It's a different material with different benefits and disadvantages, and a different aesthetic.

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » September 24th, 2012, 11:19 am

It's definitely not the same stone as Lake and Knox. Lake and Knox has a cast concrete colored to look like MN's Native Dolomite (gold), and this building either has Indiana's Bedford Limestone, or a Cast Concrete made to look like Indiana's Limestone (grey, which is MUCH easier to do). So even if this is fake stone it will look nicer than the Lake and Knox building (especially when wet)

The expansion joints in the brick on this building will look much better when they are filled. Better than the joints on a brick paneled building.

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » September 24th, 2012, 11:24 am

And, this is real brick... not a facade...

Aville_37
Union Depot

Postby Aville_37 » September 24th, 2012, 5:18 pm

Are there going to be patios on the back?

minneapolisguy
Nicollet Mall

Postby minneapolisguy » September 29th, 2012, 6:21 am

here is an image of the backside of the building - alternating bands of black and grey - with some other color on the ends.

I've also included a pano so you can get a little feel for how the building blends in with the neighborhood from the back side. I think it's a nice addition to the neighborhood.

they have a new sign on the building saying occupancy in January 2013.

John
Capella Tower

Postby John » September 29th, 2012, 9:54 am

For someone who has walked by this (formerly) depressing intersection of Oak Grove and Clifton regularly for 30 years, I can't tell you how much better and solidified this area looks now with the addition of this building. A remarkable transformation.

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » September 29th, 2012, 2:22 pm

Walking by the other day I see the stone work at the base of the building. I thought it would be more rough hewen than a smooth cut, or a mix like the Elite Apartments which has both the smooth and rough faced stone. But I will save judgement until I see the finished building. Did not think I would like the medical building across from the Guthrie, but that turnout to be quite the stunner of a building!

Lancestar2

Postby Lancestar2 » September 29th, 2012, 3:10 pm

nice photos! So far everything about the project is great. The only disappointment is the walk up apartments are 1Bedroom apartments :cry: I wish they could have added them to be 2 floor 3br. apartments! (or 2br. + den) would have been nice to see some family's in the "urban townhouses" Instead I think the value of the walkup entry is wasted by the 1br. where it could have been far better!

Neptune
Block E

Postby Neptune » September 30th, 2012, 12:05 am

I think the building looks great. Thanks minneapolisguy for all the pics.

min-chi-cbus
Capella Tower

Postby min-chi-cbus » September 30th, 2012, 9:58 am

Yes, thanks for the pics! I can't see any of this in person more than about once per year currently so pics pics and more pics please!!

minneapolisguy
Nicollet Mall

Postby minneapolisguy » October 7th, 2012, 9:32 am

More brick work is being done on the back side of the building and some balconies have been hung on the exterior on the rear as well.

Not a fan of these types of balconies myself - too small, not private at all - but I suppose it allows you to at least step outside and get some air.
I hope I don't see and hear a bunch of dogs barking off these balconies!!