Twin Cities Premium Outlets - Eagan

Twin Cities Suburbs
eluko
Metrodome

Twin Cities Premium Outlets - Eagan

Postby eluko » July 21st, 2012, 10:40 am

Paragon buys Cedar Grove land for $14.7 million. Hopes to break ground on the outlet mall by spring 2013.
http://www.startribune.com/local/south/ ... ml?refer=y

Lancestar2

Re: Upscale outlet mall in Eagan

Postby Lancestar2 » July 22nd, 2012, 12:32 pm

thats great news! Thanks for posting... I think that really will help develop the Red line. Also I do hope they build some dense housing maybe 8-15 floors would be a nice surprise if not a 25 luxury apartments.

Although if your a "fancy person" I doubt you want to live next to a outlet mall :lol: you would much rather perfer pretending you PAID full price

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » July 23rd, 2012, 10:53 am

I wonder how being right under the approach to Rwy 17 affects the possibility of residential development near Cedar Grove station.

Lancestar2

Postby Lancestar2 » July 23rd, 2012, 12:16 pm

Educational school & boarding campus for the Deaf and hard of hearing? ...I used to live southwest of that site about 4 blocks in a studio apartment (my 1st apartment) and never was bothered by the airplane noises. I was more concerned about the "friendly people" hanging outside creating there own "retail businesses" at 3AM. :| I guess maybe clearance may be a issue to prevent anything over 10 stories perhaps I never thought of that...

QuietBlue
Target Field

Postby QuietBlue » September 14th, 2012, 9:01 am

I don't see really dense housing being built near there anytime in the near future. Medium-density housing was part of the plan for the site originally, and one of the reasons it was delayed (and changed) was that there wasn't believed to be sufficient demand. Plus there are already apartment buildings and townhouses very close by. I think most of the land that isn't used by the mall will be taken up by outlot buildings, restaurants, etc.

Lancestar2

Postby Lancestar2 » September 25th, 2012, 10:34 am

http://eagan.patch.com/articles/council ... to-9492060

City is talking about moving the utilities out of the site! ...the ball keeps rolling :mrgreen:

Across the street space exists to allow some dense development! A pedestrian walkway tunnel could be built to link development there to the transit line and the outlet mall. Also west of cedar there is a self-storage and a few other buildings spaced out. A redevelopment of that site to is possible down the line. Again a tunnel access could supply easy access to the transit or outlet mall site!

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » September 25th, 2012, 11:41 am

I really think you're setting yourself up for major disappointment with this. I doubt a developer would put in anything besides maybe a sidewalk across a giant parking lot that will inevitably separate Nichols and Cedar Grove Station from the outlet mall.

Lancestar2

Postby Lancestar2 » September 29th, 2012, 4:56 pm

http://eagan.patch.com/articles/infrast ... f-11410962

Fall 2012 regrading road
Spring 2013 Moving 26' gas line
Spring 2013 Construction could start! :mrgreen:

Also if they extend the walkway from the planned outlet mall to the development area they could have a very walking friendly mall from the BRT station to the outlet mall! ..I can't believe more people are not excited about this one

I'm sure they will have a sit down cafe or restaurant in the development area! :lol:

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » September 29th, 2012, 6:42 pm

Honestly thats not AS bad as I thought... The corner parcels could be developed with a little more density. I'm hoping the strip malls on the bottom could also face Cedar Grove Pkwy and not just the parking lot. Down the line, some of the parking could be decked and other parking could be sacrificed to make this a little more dense especially between Cedar Grove Pkwy and the the middle east-west road.

One thing that is strange is Cedarvale Blvd (the top road, old Hwy 13) has been rebuilt west of Jensen's... looking at the site plan on Patch this new road would be obliterated and moved north.

Lancestar2

Postby Lancestar2 » September 29th, 2012, 7:11 pm

Honestly thats not AS bad as I thought... The corner parcels could be developed with a little more density. I'm hoping the strip malls on the bottom could also face Cedar Grove Pkwy and not just the parking lot. Down the line, some of the parking could be decked and other parking could be sacrificed to make this a little more dense especially between Cedar Grove Pkwy and the the middle east-west road.

One thing that is strange is Cedarvale Blvd (the top road, old Hwy 13) has been rebuilt west of Jensen's... looking at the site plan on Patch this new road would be obliterated and moved north.
The parking in the center is a two story parking ramp (with the ability to add a 3rd level in the future if needed) If you zoom in you can see the features a bit. Also the walkway from the parking ramp in the center to the retail on the south side I wonder what that would look like. I would love skyway access from 2nd floor but I doubt that would be good use of space nor realistic lol. I would hope that each building in front would have a access point to enter from the north (via 1st floor ramp) and south (via 1st floor walkway out front/street sidewalk) that way it would be very easy to get to.

Also yes, the story talked about how they recently redid the road there with federal funds. The outlet mall company is going to pay for the cost to move the gas line and to regrade the road. This site is going to be awesome! Not your traditional just outside of the suburbs outlet mall like Medford. The design will be more urban friendly and a better use of space! :mrgreen:

EDIT

Medford Outlet Mall = 188,060 sq. ft. with 45-50 tenants
Albertville Outlet Mall = 430,000 sq. ft. with 100+ tenants

QuietBlue
Target Field

Postby QuietBlue » October 2nd, 2012, 8:11 am

I'm hoping the strip malls on the bottom could also face Cedar Grove Pkwy and not just the parking lot.
Is the strip mall going to be at the same level as Cedar Grove Parkway (which currently is at a higher level than the mall site? Or are they going to be lowering Cedar Grove as part of the regrading? If it's the latter, I would think it would make getting to the townhouses and business on the south side of the street trickier.

Edit: I looked more closely at the site plan and it looks like the stores in that strip will be facing Cedar Grove Parkway. So if it is a two-level parking structure, the back side will be level with the top of the deck (and it looks like there are parking spaces along the back side of these structures).

Lancestar2

Postby Lancestar2 » October 3rd, 2012, 12:02 am

the back of the building of the stripmall looks like they will have little hooks which I wonder if that will be a inside walkway to the front. Also I wonder if they will be able to have signing on the 2nd level of the ramp for the strip mall in front. Also you can see how they can design for a 3rd level for the driving way to drive up the ramp again (as designs show the 2nd level) The ground level sure does have a nice walkway out front though which may make needing signs for the strip mall 2nd floor ramp pointless.

Lancestar2

Postby Lancestar2 » October 16th, 2012, 10:38 pm

...wells looks like I'm riding solo on updates to this thread. I guess I will have to try to search for it more often. Some big news stories and details has happened! :mrgreen: They have some pictures of the layout and design but sadly my computer won't load it so I can't see. :cry: Also Eagan Awarded $750,000 Grant for the elevator in the Parking Ramp. Finally a nice summary of the information about the future outlet mall rightfully titled Top 8 things you should know about cedar grove outlet mall

Also they do mention about using the space south of the site (not the future expansion site!) as a public park but no plans have been started yet. I do think the design does look much as to what I expected compared to their other locations. anybody have any thoughts about the design? ...any positive thoughts about the design? :|

min-chi-cbus
Capella Tower

Postby min-chi-cbus » October 17th, 2012, 7:32 am

Sorry if I (or others) aren't as excited about this project. I HATE outlet malls as my wife always wants to go to them and I NEVER want (or can afford) to spend money on clothes! It's also "high-end", so along with the fact that I don't currently live in MN AND I probably won't be able to afford going to this place (or I'll dread my wife asking me to go to this place), further coupled with the fact that this development is very suburban in character and isn't my favorite use of space near this mostly-industrial area.......I check the updates rarely and don't really contribute.

I don't know if others are like me, but that's just one point of view.

Thanks for providing updates regardless......somebody will appreciate them!

QuietBlue
Target Field

Postby QuietBlue » October 17th, 2012, 8:52 am

I wouldn't really characterize that area as "industrial" -- there was retail on that site for almost fifty years from the time when Cedarvale was first built to when it was torn down several years ago. The site also is also right next to a lot of dense housing and some existing retail and restaurants as well. The industrial areas are more northeast of there, and on the other side of 13.

I can understand not being excited about it; not everybody is going to like everything and outlet malls definitely aren't someplace I normally go either. And I am certainly trying to keep my expectations about it in check; I'm definitely taking a "believe it when I see it" approach to this. However, considering that the previous plans had stalled out and that the area has been in decline for a couple of decades now, it is nice to see something finally being done with the site.

min-chi-cbus
Capella Tower

Postby min-chi-cbus » October 17th, 2012, 11:14 am

I wouldn't really characterize that area as "industrial" -- there was retail on that site for almost fifty years from the time when Cedarvale was first built to when it was torn down several years ago. The site also is also right next to a lot of dense housing and some existing retail and restaurants as well. The industrial areas are more northeast of there, and on the other side of 13.

I can understand not being excited about it; not everybody is going to like everything and outlet malls definitely aren't someplace I normally go either. And I am certainly trying to keep my expectations about it in check; I'm definitely taking a "believe it when I see it" approach to this. However, considering that the previous plans had stalled out and that the area has been in decline for a couple of decades now, it is nice to see something finally being done with the site.
I was thinking it was near that distribution district with all of the warehouses along I-494 and Hwy. 55.

QuietBlue
Target Field

Postby QuietBlue » October 17th, 2012, 1:44 pm

Ah. No, it's on the other side of Eagan, next to Cedar/77 and just SE of the bridge. I agree that the area you described wouldn't have been a good spot for it.

Lancestar2

Postby Lancestar2 » October 17th, 2012, 2:31 pm

I was thinking it was near that distribution district with all of the warehouses along I-494 and Hwy. 55.
keep in mind this is going to be located right next to Cedar Grove Red Line BRT Station!! :D Also it will be very close to the MOA so it will be very different style of outlet mall. The design is very walking friendly and will blend into the nice dense community around the red line station.

Lancestar2

Postby Lancestar2 » October 25th, 2012, 8:24 pm

Update:

The Eagan Planning Commission on Tuesday unanimously recommended the City Council approve a preliminary planned unit development as well as the rezoning and comprehensive plan changes necessary to move ahead with the Paragon project, whose design details were examined for the first time.

The measures now move to the Eagan City Council, which is set to take them up Nov. 20.

Star Tribune http://www.startribune.com/business/175 ... ml?refer=y

"
R. Kelvin Antill, development partner for Baltimore-based Paragon Outlet Partners, told commission members leasing activity for the estimated $100 million outlet mall is going well, comparing it to two similar upscale malls the company has built this year in Grand Prairie, Texas, and Livermore, Calif.

Eagan Patch http://eagan.patch.com/articles/paragon ... commission

*has a more in depth review of the events. Also link to the Eagan's Planning Commission meeting discussing the Paragon Outlet Mall (POL).

http://eagan.granicus.com/MediaPlayer.p ... ip_id=1125

That is the link and you can skip ahead to 37:00 as that is where it starts for POL

eluko
Metrodome

Postby eluko » November 16th, 2012, 10:52 am

Thanks for the updates Lancestar. I'm excited to see this get built, but looking at the plans I'm thinking they could have been a lot more creative with the north side facade. Looks too similar to the back of a Home Depot really.
Anyway works begun on the new road construction for CedarGrove Blvd. I was able to get down there this morning and take a couple pics.