Downtown Minneapolis Retail News

Downtown - North Loop - Mill District - Elliot Park - Loring Park
mnmike
Wells Fargo Center

Re: Downtown Retail News

Postby mnmike » October 7th, 2014, 11:55 am

Naw, it's just the old skyway lounge space.

Mpls9

Postby Mpls9 » October 7th, 2014, 9:10 pm

Sounds like a nightly Cirque du Soleil

xandrex
Wells Fargo Center

Postby xandrex » October 8th, 2014, 8:20 am

It seems to emphasize the music, poetry, and comedy, but I bet dollars to donuts it ends up just being a topless bar within a year. I suppose at least the sleaze is coming back to the block (did it ever leave?)

dbaur31
City Center

Postby dbaur31 » October 17th, 2014, 2:49 pm

Some retail news for the North Loop.

Chrome Industries is moving in where Handsome Cycles recently vacated at 115 N Washington.

There's a new shop called Wilson & Willy's going in where the Robichaud, Anderson & Alcantara law firm was (211 N Washington). I haven't been able to figure out what exactly they plan to sell there, so that should be interesting.

http://www.wilsonandwillys.com/welcome

Lastly, I got an email blast from Atmosfere, a primarily men's clothing store in Calhoun Square, saying that they will be opening an additional location soon at 7th and Washington. No other deets on that yet that I've seen, but I think there is still some open space on the first floor of the Loose Wiles building. Not sure if there's a vacancy across the street in the Tower Lofts building.

In any case, it's nice to see some new places spring up pretty much as quickly as they became vacant.

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » October 17th, 2014, 2:59 pm

As predicted, retail in Minneapolis is growing.

chimpls
Block E

Postby chimpls » October 18th, 2014, 7:40 pm

I have a little tidbit on Wilson and Willy's. I was in the Hudson Valley this past July and met with a woodworker/artist, and I can tell that his products will be sold at Wilson and Willy's. I imagine that W & W won't be cheap, but it should be a really nice store that sells top quality products/artisan made objects.

mplsjaromir
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mplsjaromir » October 18th, 2014, 11:16 pm

Great news to see a top quality vendor service the area.

Silophant

Postby Silophant » November 13th, 2014, 10:08 pm

Walked by last night, and there was a Stop Work order posted on Wilson and Willy's window. Looked like they failed to pull a required permit. Hope they get it sorted out.
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]

Aville_37
Union Depot

Postby Aville_37 » November 15th, 2014, 8:15 pm

I hope they open as well.

On a different note - stumbled across this men's tailor/clothing store in the Northstar Center http://www.martymathisclothiers.com/shop/.

Surprised I hadn't heard of them before. Not that I need custom designed clothing, but pretty cool. Too bad they aren't open on the weekends.

mnmike
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mnmike » November 20th, 2014, 1:01 pm

And there goes the 8th floor auditorium...holiday display, flower show...and I bet the beginnings of Macy's leaving downtown. I mean, I hope not, but I don't have a positive outlook on these things. I could totally see them leaving.

http://www.bizjournals.com/twincities/p ... it-in.html

Apologies if this was already posted somewhere else.

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » November 20th, 2014, 1:08 pm

If they're wanting to *really* downsize their downtown store and sell that property, they ought to jump on the Saks space before that SuperWalgreens thing is a done deal.

Or move into City Center and remodel that ground level & basement space. Either way, there are ample opportunities for Macy's to shrink the size of that store, unload some property, and shore up their finances enough to keep a downtown presence for years to come. I doubt they are actually entertaining the thought of leaving downtown entirely. That would be a massive blow.

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » November 20th, 2014, 1:12 pm

Is there any historical protection to the Dayton's complex? Should there be? Without a signature department store there, it seems that an old block on Nicollet between 7th and 8th Sts would be possibly the most prime redevelopment location in downtown. While I'd be fine with some redevelopment, I also think this existing block contributes significantly to the history of Minneapolis. Its loss would be much more significant than the loss of Powers and Donaldsons.

mnmike
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mnmike » November 20th, 2014, 1:15 pm

For sure...the old store on the corner of 7th and Nicollet should be protected. It is a great example of an original downtown department store...no way that should ever go away.

Of course the article(the part I can see) says nothing about Macy's leaving...but I just have to think they wouldn't mind getting out of downtown. I know for a fact that that store is one of their lowest in sales in the market, I think Maplewood is THE lowest. People on this site still seem to be in a fantasy land as far as the demand for downtown retail goes sometimes, I feel like. At least it terms of department stores...they don't do well. That's why they are all gone, and that is why I have an incredibly hard time believing there has been any interest from other department stores locating downtown recently. And if Macy's left this site I highly doubt they would relocate downtown. I sure hope they stay...I will be very disappointed if they leave! Hopefully they really are only trying to work out a deal for their empty floors, and they do, and they remain for years to come...but if they stop the little random 8th floor stuff that they do, they will lose even more appeal to locals.

PS. I do not know why it keeps spelling "F-antasy" as "pantasy" I keep trying to fix it! lol. Is that one of those words that were oddly blocked on here?
Last edited by mnmike on November 20th, 2014, 1:29 pm, edited 9 times in total.

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » November 20th, 2014, 1:20 pm

Any chance Macy's could consolidate into the historic building at 7th/Nicollet, and then the superblock on 8th bt Nicollet and LaSalle could get redeveloped? A tower at 8th/Nicollet could work. Granted, I'd miss the Skyroom cafeteria...

David Greene
IDS Center

Postby David Greene » November 20th, 2014, 1:31 pm

I doubt they are actually entertaining the thought of leaving downtown entirely. That would be a massive blow.
Would it? I don't think they're leaving either, but what if they did? Macy's is not anything special. That store hasn't been since Dayton's left. Dayton's had some real innovative stuff. These other stores, not so much. What's the impact of Macy's vs. the downtown Target? I see a LOT more people at Target.

I'd much rather see a more unique department store in that space. Would that happen if Macy's left? It certainly wouldn't be guaranteed but I'd be surprised is someone didn't grab it eventually. I'd think you could subdivide it rather easily, at least on the ground floor if you need to. Askov Finlayson would work well on the Mall and would provide a nice sense of closure. :)

Put in an Askov Finlayson, a Duluth Trading and a couple other Galleria-ish fancy-pants places and that area of the Mall could really be something.

David Greene
IDS Center

Postby David Greene » November 20th, 2014, 1:33 pm

Is there any historical protection to the Dayton's complex? Should there be? Without a signature department store there, it seems that an old block on Nicollet between 7th and 8th Sts would be possibly the most prime redevelopment location in downtown. While I'd be fine with some redevelopment, I also think this existing block contributes significantly to the history of Minneapolis. Its loss would be much more significant than the loss of Powers and Donaldsons.
Agreed. I would like to see both Dayton's buildings saved. The original one especially has a really nice exterior and there's at least one entrance that still has what looks like its original finishings, though it needs some restoration.

xandrex
Wells Fargo Center

Postby xandrex » November 20th, 2014, 1:34 pm

Put in an Askov Finlayson, a Duluth Trading and a couple other Galleria-ish fancy-pants places and that area of the Mall could really be something.
Perhaps this is being pedantic, but why would Askov Finlayson want to move to the Mall? They very much fit in with the North Loop culture (presumably you'd have to drag along their other outfits if they did move as well, no?)

David Greene
IDS Center

Postby David Greene » November 20th, 2014, 1:36 pm

Perhaps this is being pedantic, but why would Askov Finlayson want to move to the Mall? They very much fit in with the North Loop culture (presumably you'd have to drag along their other outfits if they did move as well, no?)
Location, location, location. They'd get a lot more visibility on the Mall. I only learned about them when someone posted something here. I'll bet 99% of people in the city don't even know they exist.

I'm not sure what you mean by "other outfits."

mnmike
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mnmike » November 20th, 2014, 1:37 pm

I doubt they are actually entertaining the thought of leaving downtown entirely. That would be a massive blow.
Would it? I don't think they're leaving either, but what if they did? Macy's is not anything special. That store hasn't been since Dayton's left. Dayton's had some real innovative stuff. These other stores, not so much. What's the impact of Macy's vs. the downtown Target? I see a LOT more people at Target.

I'd much rather see a more unique department store in that space. Would that happen if Macy's left? It certainly wouldn't be guaranteed but I'd be surprised is someone didn't grab it eventually. I'd think you could subdivide it rather easily, at least on the ground floor if you need to. Askov Finlayson would work well on the Mall and would provide a nice sense of closure. :)

YES. It can't be denied that the last massive department store leaving downtown would be a blow. Of course it would.

Again, why do people think other department stores would be interested? We have had space for other department stores...or any stores...to open up over and over again as they leave...and as a whole department stores continue to decline across the US with few exceptions. Even with the boom of the past couple years downtown, the best we can lure seems to be a big walgreens and an office building into a nice dept store space. But I am sure, as many seem to think, that there are retailers lining up trying to fill these vacant spaces downtown, and the only reason they aren't is because of lazy leasing agents. :lol:

If anything were to happen to Macy's, I'd actually like to see the whole block saved. The original store, obviously, is beautiful on the outside, and the addition (the original portion from the 1930s, and more additions in the 50s), could be restored into a pretty awesome building, with its original art deco themes.

Anyway, again, sorry to start a discussion about Macy's leaving when there is no news saying that...this just feels like the very beginning of them taking steps to leave to me is all. But of course they need to do something with that space! So maybe that is all this is.

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » November 20th, 2014, 1:45 pm

The future of downtown retail is more with the Askov-Finlaysons than with the department store - I like how the Downtown Macy's has a large selection and better service than the malls, but still how often do most people go to a department store to shop? These old department stores used to do more than just clothing. They still have the housewares departments, but I can't imagine they do well compared to online. I'm young, and I remember my family buying a TV and a computer at a Dayton's in the 90s. Retail has changed so much - the best option for downtown is to have a mix of small retailers that are true unique destinations unlike anywhere else in the metro, and baseline retail like Target and Walgreen's for downtown residents.