RBC Gateway & Four Seasons - 37 stories - 519'

Downtown - North Loop - Mill District - Elliot Park - Loring Park
twincitizen

Re: Nicollet Hotel Block

Postby twincitizen » December 10th, 2014, 11:11 am

Agreed. They clearly do not have any actual political power and serve as little more than annoyance / delay tactic at the neighborhood level. Let.It.Go.

FISHMANPET
IDS Center

Postby FISHMANPET » December 10th, 2014, 11:19 am

I actually am doing it, in this case. I wouldn't expect any opposition, even from the farthest outliers of development opponents (and as impotent as it is).

But I probably should stop thinking about them so much, but SOMEONE IS WRONG ON THE INTERNET.

E: I've taken the momentus step of unliking MRRDC on Facebook, I guess admitting you have a problem is the first step.

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » December 10th, 2014, 8:07 pm

That looks amazing mbp!!! great concept!

John
Capella Tower

Postby John » December 10th, 2014, 8:17 pm

That looks amazing mbp!!! great concept!
And likely far more interesting and ambitious than what will be proposed by those three developers ;)

NE_love
City Center

Postby NE_love » December 11th, 2014, 8:38 am

Certainly one of the allures of paper/theoretical architecture.

GrowMPLS

Postby GrowMPLS » December 11th, 2014, 1:38 pm

Does anyone know who will be reviewing the proposals and when they will be available for public review?

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » December 11th, 2014, 3:02 pm

CPED staff will review the proposals and score them. Then, (I presume) the City Council will vote on that recommendation to enter into contract for development with one of the groups. It could be a while before anything becomes public. The discarded options wouldn't necessarily be revealed to the public. I doubt there will be any opportunity for public review/comment until an actual proposal reaches the Planning Commission. Frankly, I don't see things even advancing that far in 2015. Sure, we might see preliminary concepts, but I really doubt an actual development proposal will be moving forward within a year.

GrowMPLS

Postby GrowMPLS » December 11th, 2014, 5:04 pm

Below is an email we just received from staff about this:

We will be releasing a media advisory tomorrow morning with the names and addresses of those who proposed. Rose will be our point on media inquiries. We will not be releasing any additional information until the community engagement segment of the review, or mid- to late-January. The next step is for the staff team to review each and report out the analysis to you for your consideration. The staff team meets on the 23rd and I will work with your offices to schedule a meeting for your review in early- to mid-January. You will receive a packet of information with the proposals and the staff analysis before the end of the year.

TroyGBiv
US Bank Plaza

Postby TroyGBiv » December 11th, 2014, 5:44 pm

I am sure that this is probably a dumb question - but I am going to ask it anyways... Is the idea that the city owns this land and is going to finance this potential development? Or are they going to sell the land or offer it as an incentive to a potential developer? Or - is the land and foundation going to be built by the city for parking and the street car tracks and the above ground structure built by a developer. Sorry if I missed this explanation somewhere else... I've looked for this background info but I must have missed something.

nickmgray
Union Depot

Postby nickmgray » December 12th, 2014, 8:15 am

I am sure that this is probably a dumb question - but I am going to ask it anyways... Is the idea that the city owns this land and is going to finance this potential development? Or are they going to sell the land or offer it as an incentive to a potential developer? Or - is the land and foundation going to be built by the city for parking and the street car tracks and the above ground structure built by a developer. Sorry if I missed this explanation somewhere else... I've looked for this background info but I must have missed something.
I don't think the details have been released. My assumption is that the city would be offering up the land for free with construction tax incentives to the developer since the city would benefit in the long run with property taxes.

SixOneTwo
Nicollet Mall

Postby SixOneTwo » December 12th, 2014, 9:56 am

@smckenzie21

City of #Mpls has received four proposals for Nicollet Hotel Block. Developers: Doran, Duval, Mortenson and United Prop.

lordmoke
Wells Fargo Center

Postby lordmoke » December 12th, 2014, 10:55 am

Not really anything new, except that last tweet presented in article form:
http://www.startribune.com/blogs/285620231.html

mog
Block E

Postby mog » December 12th, 2014, 11:04 am

@smckenzie21

City of #Mpls has received four proposals for Nicollet Hotel Block. Developers: Doran, Duval, Mortenson and United Prop.
Does anyone know anything about Duval?

lordmoke
Wells Fargo Center

Postby lordmoke » December 12th, 2014, 11:11 am

They're headquartered in downtown Minneapolis on Marquette Ave. Other than that, I can find literally no information about them online. Bizarre.

Unity77
Landmark Center

Postby Unity77 » December 12th, 2014, 11:14 am

Duval doesn't even have a functioning website.

I'm really disappointed Minneapolis couldn't attract national or international interest in this site.

David Greene
IDS Center

Postby David Greene » December 12th, 2014, 11:28 am

I'm really disappointed Minneapolis couldn't attract national or international interest in this site.
There are...interesting posts on SSC about this. I'll not say more and let everyone draw their own conclusions.

acs
Wells Fargo Center

Postby acs » December 12th, 2014, 12:15 pm

Don'cha know? we're a bunch of small minded yokels here in Minnesoooota. We don't want anything tall or expensive, that's for those other big important cities. A 20 story parking ramp with a Wal-Mart on top and a ground level McDonalds will be perfect for us! It will be something iconic to set us apart from our peer cities of Des Moines, Omaha, KC and Milwaukee.

lordmoke
Wells Fargo Center

Postby lordmoke » December 12th, 2014, 12:20 pm

A 20 story parking ramp with a Wal-Mart on top and a ground level McDonalds
Can someone please make this in SketchUp?

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » December 12th, 2014, 12:54 pm

The guy running Duval is Alex Duval and he's a former employee of Portman Associates. Portman worked on multiple skyscrapers in Shanghai and S. Korea as well at hotels in LA and downtown Atlanta. He's a Harvard alum in Architecture.

That's all I really have on Duval. This is actually the developer I have the most hope in, even though it's a small bit of hope. Small firms can sometimes pull off some cool things. I think this firm may have been started this year since Alex Duval just stopped working as the director at Portman Holdings

acs
Wells Fargo Center

Postby acs » December 12th, 2014, 1:21 pm

Holy shit I take back everything I just said. Duval's proposal is 900 feet tall!

http://ow.ly/i/7VeNg