MSP Airport / Metropolitan Airports Commission

Roads - Rails - Sidewalks - Bikeways
mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Re: MSP Airport

Postby mattaudio » December 3rd, 2014, 11:16 am

Ah, that must be a change from the hotel location in their previous CIP. Honestly I ignore most of the landside changes proposed because I'm focused on other parts of the documents. But I'm curious about specifics here, since it would seem to conflict with the MAC's plan to shift the entrance/exit roadway and Hwy 5 interchange south at the time they propose that crossover taxiways are built over the entrance roadway.

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » December 3rd, 2014, 11:27 am

Here's the image that was included in the Biz Journal story about the hotel.

HiawathaGuy
Wells Fargo Center

Postby HiawathaGuy » December 3rd, 2014, 12:24 pm

I would suspect that eventually, they would want to extend the tram that runs underneath the parking ramps all of the way out to the hotel (they'll be building new parking structures between the hotel and the existing vertical circulation for the LRT that will also need to be served).

The skyway shown between the hotel and the C concourse doesn't make a lot of sense to me -- do they really expect TSA to run a security checkpoint for the slow trickle of people using that connection?
The plan is to create a cut and cover tunnel under the next parking ramp, between the hotel and the existing Blue/Red parking ramps. It will eventually be a continuation of the current tram, but not initially.

I think MAC is looking to connect the hotel to the airport via skyway though too, and possibly to the tunnel. That's why they're meeting with developers tomorrow, to see options. At least according to all the news reports I've read.

matt91486
Nicollet Mall

Postby matt91486 » December 3rd, 2014, 6:39 pm

Apparently Delta has applied for Summer flights to Reykjavik. Not sure if the market can really withstand two airlines flying to Iceland, and Icelandair has better connectivity, so we'll see what's going on with that.

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » December 3rd, 2014, 11:00 pm

Sad. I don't want to see map lose seasonal FI service to kef. Those yellow engined 757s are a fun sight.

talindsay
Wells Fargo Center

Postby talindsay » December 4th, 2014, 3:27 pm

I really like Icelandair and hope Delta doesn't steal that service. I'd been hoping Icelandair might restore year-round service with the market recovering: flying through Iceland to Europe is almost like a nonstop flight since the layover in Reykjavik is super easy and quick, and they have great prices for very-advanced purchases so I'd think they could be competitive for a lot of MSP travel to Europe.

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » December 4th, 2014, 3:33 pm

I guess it feels like Icelandair mostly gave up on MSP a while ago. Back in the early 2000's, they were very aggressive in this market. Now, the service is seasonal, and their fares out of MSP seem to be higher than out of comparable US markets.

Didier
Capella Tower

Postby Didier » December 8th, 2014, 5:55 pm

Speaking of niche European airlines, what do people know about Condor? I've heard basically nothing about them since they started flying here.

SteveXC500
Nicollet Mall

Postby SteveXC500 » December 9th, 2014, 7:54 am

Speaking of niche European airlines, what do people know about Condor? I've heard basically nothing about them since they started flying here.
Condor is returning to MSP in 2015. According to MSP statistics for 2014, Condor carried 9,825 passengers over 46 flights, about 214 per flight and roughly 85% full on average.
I was trying to find the news release of their return for 2015 but did not locate it this morning. I believe they are switching their dates around just a bit for '15 from what they flew in '14.

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » December 9th, 2014, 10:41 am

I had a tour of the MSP ATCT and TRACON yesterday, as well as a meeting with our FAA administrator. Fascinating operation to see. They had Rwy 17/35 not in operation at the time, and had all operations on the parallels in northwesterly flow during my visit. The TRACON room was dark and quiet, and reminded me of one of those big operations rooms on a navy ship you see in the movies.

maxbaby
Landmark Center

Postby maxbaby » December 9th, 2014, 10:42 am

Condor will
begin 6-24-15
end 9-6-15
They will fly twice a week on Sundays and Wednesdays.
https://www.condor.com/eu/search_flight ... 5&x=41&y=7

maxbaby
Landmark Center

Postby maxbaby » December 16th, 2014, 3:27 pm

I thought this would be some fun information to share for the MSP airport geeks.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minneapoli ... al_Airport

PushingTin
Block E

Postby PushingTin » December 16th, 2014, 4:02 pm

The problem is that the DNL contours are no longer legitimate due to changing operations. I bought a home outside 65 DNL, and I heavily researched runway operations. Then a year later the departure procedures were fundamentally altered in a way that distributes greater noise outside areas covered by the consent decree, an operational pattern that was completely new.

It's the equivalent of putting 35W in and then when the folks on 2nd and Stevens complain about significant net-new environmental impacts, saying to them "well you knew there was pavement in front of your home when you bought it."

But all of that aside, the primary concern is safety. By MAC's own admissions in the CIP process, current operations are unsafe. And the FAA has been asking them to answer to it.
New to the message board here. Just curious what year you bought your home?

I'm familiar with operations at MSP, and other than the new runway in 2005, it's the same basic procedures as far as flight paths and such.

Sorry to hear about the troubles you are facing.

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » December 16th, 2014, 4:55 pm

No, westbound take-offs from the northern of the two parallel runways now "peel off" to the north in a way that they didn't before, based on a near-collision that occurred a few years back. This means that a part of south Minneapolis that was previously spared noise now experiences some significant noise.

emcee squared
Metrodome

Postby emcee squared » December 17th, 2014, 11:44 am

For eastbound flights departing to the west from runways 30L/R, it looks like they fly from MSP towards the north/northeast on vectors to intercept the 119 degree radial from the GEP VORTAC when using the COULT6 departure. It is my understanding that they try to avoid flying over the downtown area due to potential obstacles, but I have seen it done.

http://flightaware.com/resources/airpor ... LT+SIX/pdf

There are many other departures that utilize runways 30L/R and head off in various directions, but this one caught my eye for hooking northward and then eastward.

PushingTin
Block E

Postby PushingTin » December 22nd, 2014, 11:05 pm

No, westbound take-offs from the northern of the two parallel runways now "peel off" to the north in a way that they didn't before, based on a near-collision that occurred a few years back. This means that a part of south Minneapolis that was previously spared noise now experiences some significant noise.
The only thing that has changed since the NTSB came in to investigate the near mid-air collision in 2009 was that aircraft must take-off the proper runway for direction of flight. Meaning an aircraft flying south must takeoff on 30L and aircraft flying north must takeoff from 30R. This prevents any cross overs off the departure end of the runways like what happened in 2009. The same aircraft still eventually fly north or south like they always have, now with a little bit longer taxi in some cases.

There is also procedures in effect that effectively 'fan' the departures out to the north now. Basically to simulate what RNAV departure routes might look like one day. Any flight filed over DLL (Wisconsin Dells) will be turned to a 360 heading, any flight filed for GRB or BRD (Green Bay, Brainerd) will be turned to a 340 heading, FAR (Fargo) on a 320, etc etc. Not sure if this is what you might be noticing.

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » December 29th, 2014, 9:28 am

Since this is more of a regional commercial aviation thread than just about MSP Airport...

SkyWest Airlines plans to end service between St. Cloud and Chicago on April 6 unless state and local officials come up with a way to make the flights economically feasible.
http://www.startribune.com/local/286813201.html

SteveXC500
Nicollet Mall

Postby SteveXC500 » December 29th, 2014, 9:41 am

Since this is more of a regional commercial aviation thread than just about MSP Airport...

SkyWest Airlines plans to end service between St. Cloud and Chicago on April 6 unless state and local officials come up with a way to make the flights economically feasible.
http://www.startribune.com/local/286813201.html
Who really benefits here? The people of St. Cloud or SkyWest? At what expense? While I am all for air service being made available in the market, I believe it should stand on its own without subsidy, otherwise is it really providing value when it is clear the St. Cloud area is not fully utilizing the service to Chicago? Or is the hope of state and airport officials the service will eventually take off on its own?

nate
Landmark Center

Postby nate » December 31st, 2014, 9:58 am

I'm surprised to see them pulling the plug so soon. This service must be much less promising in reality than it appears to be in theory.

Does this mean there will be no more flights out of the St Cloud airport? (I seem to remember service to Phoenix starting/stopping last year)

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » December 31st, 2014, 10:52 am

Pretty sure that Allegiant is still flying out of St. Cloud, but that's only barely scheduled service -- it's really much closer to a charter operation.

I wouldn't be surprised, though, if they figure out a way to keep the Chicago service running. No doubt, it's something that will take a while to get up and running to the point of being self supporting, but it certainly seems like there should be a market.

For comparison, Duluth has three times daily flights to both MSP on Delta and ORD on United. It's a bigger city, and it's more remote than St. Cloud, but it still seems like St. Cloud should be able to make this service work (especially given the possibility of poaching some leisure passengers from the NW suburbs).