The Walkway - (1312 West Lake Street)

Calhoun-Isles, Cedar-Riverside, Longfellow, Nokomis, Phillips, Powderhorn, and Southwest
twincitizen

Re: City Walk Uptown - (1312 West Lake Street)

Postby twincitizen » September 27th, 2012, 10:31 pm

Slim's last stand

The long-rumored closing of Cowboy Slim's in Uptown will come true Saturday night. Co-owner Chris Diebold said his landlord is proceeding with redevelopment plans, which call for another towering retail/apartment complex on the block.

Diebold said he's in negotiations to reopen Cowboy Slim's in the new building. But in the meantime, the bro-friendly bar will close with a bang.

John
Capella Tower

Postby John » September 27th, 2012, 10:48 pm

Slim's last stand

The long-rumored closing of Cowboy Slim's in Uptown will come true Saturday night. Co-owner Chris Diebold said his landlord is proceeding with redevelopment plans, which call for another towering retail/apartment complex on the block.

Diebold said he's in negotiations to reopen Cowboy Slim's in the new building. But in the meantime, the bro-friendly bar will close with a bang.
Maybe I'm wrong, but my sense is Cowboy Slim's will not reopen here. They are going to have many expensive rental units to lease in this development, and I think they are going to aim for more urbane restaurant tenants. I suspect the developer is either humoring Mr Diebold a bit, or Mr Diebold is talking BS.
Last edited by John on September 27th, 2012, 10:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.

ECtransplant
US Bank Plaza

Postby ECtransplant » September 27th, 2012, 10:49 pm

Or keeping around to use to leverage higher rents out of whatever business does end up there

John
Capella Tower

Postby John » September 27th, 2012, 11:01 pm

Or keeping around to use to leverage higher rents out of whatever business does end up there
Ah yes, capitalism at its finest! ;)

seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Postby seanrichardryan » September 27th, 2012, 11:41 pm

I would hardly call it their best design, those were 8 years ago. I think what everyone is looking forward to is a bit more density. Does this extend to Lagoon? If so, I'd like to see commercial fronting that street too.
Q. What, what? A. In da butt.

John
Capella Tower

Postby John » September 28th, 2012, 3:25 am

Yes, the building is anchored on both sides with retail fronting the corner along Lagoon. Maybe not the best design in BKV's history, but one of their better in the recent past IMO. I really like the building's predominance of retail on the street level on three sides. Not very common for that to happen in Minneapolis. Also, I think City Walk will help soften Mozaic's scale and act like a step down building to help better integrate Mozaic with the center of Uptown.

min-chi-cbus
Capella Tower

Postby min-chi-cbus » September 28th, 2012, 8:59 am

That would likely do the opposite: leverage lower rents and other businesses of its kind. I can just see it now: "would you like to lease from us, Cartier?.....we have a Cowboy Slims interested in that same spot, so you should hurry!"

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » October 4th, 2012, 8:55 am

Slim's is all closed up, the patio aspects have been demolished. I hope they are ready with the shovel on this one!

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » October 4th, 2012, 9:35 am

Does anyone know how this new building will interact with Cheapo? Will it be built wall-to-wall or will the alleyway be reestablished? Currently the space that would be the alley is just parking.

I'm like 100% sure this won't happen, but how cool would it be if McDonald's (sans drive-thru) moved into one of the retail spaces, freeing up their parcel for redevelopment?

min-chi-cbus
Capella Tower

Postby min-chi-cbus » October 4th, 2012, 10:01 am

Does anyone know how this new building will interact with Cheapo? Will it be built wall-to-wall or will the alleyway be reestablished? Currently the space that would be the alley is just parking.

I'm like 100% sure this won't happen, but how cool would it be if McDonald's (sans drive-thru) moved into one of the retail spaces, freeing up their parcel for redevelopment?
YOu mean, like willingly (i.e. "free")? No chance. Would they sell for the right (high) price? Sure.

Avian
Union Depot

Postby Avian » October 4th, 2012, 10:03 am

According to the plan the alley will divide the two buildings:
http://www.ouruptown.com/2011/12/cowboy ... revisions/

“Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something.”
― Plato

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » October 4th, 2012, 12:15 pm

Slim's is all closed up, the patio aspects have been demolished. I hope they are ready with the shovel on this one!
The windows are boarded up and there are several truck loads of sand and or dirt now on the parking lot in one corner I noticed this morning on my way to Rainbow. The dirt does not look like anything to do with a ground breaking though.

seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Postby seanrichardryan » October 4th, 2012, 1:28 pm

They had some kind of final closing motor-cross-rodeo. There were hay bales and a dirt track set up last week. My guess is that its remnants of that.

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » October 5th, 2012, 8:27 am

They had some kind of final closing motor-cross-ro
deo. There were hay bales and a dirt track set up last week. My guess is that its remnants of that.
Ok that would make seens. I knew nothing about the Slims closing, even with me living 6 blocks away. But I sure hope that they start to get the demo done soon so they can get into construction in the spring.

John
Capella Tower

Postby John » October 6th, 2012, 3:34 pm

They had some kind of final closing motor-cross-ro
deo. There were hay bales and a dirt track set up last week. My guess is that its remnants of that.
Ok that would make seens. I knew nothing about the Slims closing, even with me living 6 blocks away. But I sure hope that they start to get the demo done soon so they can get into construction in the spring.
This will be a pivotal project in the maturation of Uptown into what is really becoming the second downtown of Minneapolis. Now, what really needs to happen is for developers to build some more office space and a couple smaller boutique hotels.

Nick
Capella Tower

Postby Nick » October 7th, 2012, 5:15 pm

Ahhhh I'm so excited for this to get going.
Nick Magrino
[email protected]

John
Capella Tower

Postby John » October 7th, 2012, 6:37 pm

Thanks for the photos. This project is really going to change the feel of Uptown in a huge positive way. And it gets rid of a cheesy bar and vacant lot in one swipe!

PhilmerPhil

Postby PhilmerPhil » October 7th, 2012, 8:10 pm

John, do you think this project will have an impact on Uptown? :D

seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Postby seanrichardryan » October 7th, 2012, 10:13 pm

Second downtown is an exaggeration. Second entertainment district perhaps. Retail district for downtown to envy, definately.

John
Capella Tower

Postby John » October 7th, 2012, 10:29 pm

Second downtown is an exaggeration. Second entertainment district perhaps. Retail district for downtown to envy, definately.
Well, maybe it's better to call it a "satellite downtown " or something. Needs more office space and a couple hotels to get to that point. It's definitely moving in that direction.