U.S. Bank Stadium

Downtown - North Loop - Mill District - Elliot Park - Loring Park
J2K
Metrodome

Re: Minnesota Multi Purpose Stadium

Postby J2K » January 15th, 2015, 3:55 pm

Composite photo showing the scale of the Metrodome vs. XYZabc Stadium: http://content.clearchannel.com/cc-comm ... 245297.jpg

INSANE
Insane, Yes. That comparison is a bit misleading because it shows the end zone side of the metrodome and the sideline side of USBank Sta.... I mean XYZabc stadium.

MN Fats
Union Depot

Postby MN Fats » January 15th, 2015, 4:09 pm

Composite photo showing the scale of the Metrodome vs. XYZabc Stadium: http://content.clearchannel.com/cc-comm ... 245297.jpg

INSANE
Insane, Yes. That comparison is a bit misleading because it shows the end zone side of the metrodome and the sideline side of USBank Sta.... I mean XYZabc stadium.
You're very right about that.

This gives a better idea:

The new stadium still is much taller though.

Nick
Capella Tower

Postby Nick » January 15th, 2015, 4:18 pm

It looms pretty enormously off the the distance looking down Fourth Street downtown. You can feel it.
Nick Magrino
[email protected]

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » January 15th, 2015, 4:26 pm

It's going to be so much uglier than the renderings. It's like someone took the Walker expansion, asked how to make it uglier, then blew up the size 100x.

IllogicalJake
Target Field

Postby IllogicalJake » January 15th, 2015, 4:30 pm

It's going to be so much uglier than the renderings. It's like someone took the Walker expansion, asked how to make it uglier, then blew up the size 100x.
Were you expecting it to be smaller?
i talk too much. web dev, downtown. admin @ tower.ly

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » January 15th, 2015, 4:36 pm

Remember when they first proposed this design, how they talked about "pulling it back toward 11th Ave", to provide a much larger plaza fronting Chicago?

I mean, they sorta did that, but not at all to the extent I imagined. It was suggested that it would be pulled all the way to 11th and sort of cantilever over the street...that does not seem to be the case at all. I'm probably most disappointed by that, in terms of how they oriented it on the site. Truly pulling it back to 11th would have helped reduce how incredibly imposing the stadium is going to be on the park and the other buildings in the area.

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » January 15th, 2015, 4:47 pm

Time will tell, I guess, but my sense is that the plaza between Chicago and the front doors will seem pretty vast. I don't think it needs to be any larger.

robotlollipop
Metrodome

Postby robotlollipop » January 15th, 2015, 5:06 pm

Everything is always ugly and nothing is ever tall enough.

J2K
Metrodome

Postby J2K » January 15th, 2015, 5:16 pm

I actually like the design, not to mention getting rid of that bunker of a metrodome with a giant marshmallow on top - YUCK!

seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Postby seanrichardryan » January 15th, 2015, 8:39 pm

Coming out the tunnel on EB94, the XYZabc looms behind everything you can see of downtown. It really is a beast.
Q. What, what? A. In da butt.

uptowncarag

Postby uptowncarag » January 15th, 2015, 10:09 pm

The Walker expansion is fantastic.

David Greene
IDS Center

Postby David Greene » January 15th, 2015, 10:12 pm

Orders of magnitude better than the building that replaced the wonderful original one on the site.

mister.shoes
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mister.shoes » January 15th, 2015, 11:49 pm

INSANE
True this. I don't think it's quite sunk in to a lot of people just how ginormous this thing is going to be (hell, already is). Not only is it going to be ridiculous to see from the outside, attending a game is going to be a far different experience than doing so in the intimate, loud, thunderous Metrodome. I highly suspect it's going to feel cold and sterile and probably not very loud either.
The problem with being an introvert online is that no one knows you're just hanging out and listening.

mister.shoes
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mister.shoes » January 15th, 2015, 11:50 pm

P.S. This is exactly why the air rights development over the parking ramp needs to be noticeably taller than the stadium. Anything smaller will look so puny it'll be embarrassing.
The problem with being an introvert online is that no one knows you're just hanging out and listening.

mullen
Foshay Tower

Postby mullen » January 16th, 2015, 7:48 am

reserving judgement waiting for the exterior install. it's a really massive building. i can see it from the 46th street 35w elevated bus station.

and i don't like the walker expansion, in retrospect. it's a hulking, cold presence on hennepin. it should be more light and transparent.

moda253
Nicollet Mall

Postby moda253 » January 16th, 2015, 10:26 am

INSANE
True this. I don't think it's quite sunk in to a lot of people just how ginormous this thing is going to be (hell, already is). Not only is it going to be ridiculous to see from the outside, attending a game is going to be a far different experience than doing so in the intimate, loud, thunderous Metrodome. I highly suspect it's going to feel cold and sterile and probably not very loud either.
Half the surface of the roof is going to be metal, The other half is going to be flat semi rigid ETFE. The opportunity for this place to be loud is there. The only thing might be the distance between the fans and the roof. But that depends on how close the upper decks are to the roof. From what I understand part of the engineering of this place did include acoustics aiding to provide home field advantage. I would bet this place is going to be PLENTY loud.

As for it feeling cold inside. If we are comparing this to the metrodome this will feel like an electric blanket next to a roaring fire to the metrodome covered in newspaper on a park bench in January.

David Greene
IDS Center

Postby David Greene » January 16th, 2015, 10:53 am

and i don't like the walker expansion, in retrospect. it's a hulking, cold presence on hennepin. it should be more light and transparent.
To be fair, it's hard to make something light and transparent without windows and windows are a liability for an art gallery.

Rich
Rice Park

Postby Rich » January 16th, 2015, 11:14 am

I highly suspect it's going to feel cold and sterile
I dunno. Judging by the dimensions of it, that ETFE roof will let in 33% more light than Lucas Oil Stadium gets (when it’s roof is open), and almost as much light as open-air CenturyLink Field. It should easily be the brightest, airiest indoor stadium on the planet.

TommyT
Target Field

Postby TommyT » January 16th, 2015, 11:19 am

Speaking of semi-open air stadiums, has anyone seen the fly through video for Atlanta's proposed stadium? Their retractable roof is pretty awesome.

EDIT: Link below. Also, I guess to relate it to us... it's too bad we couldn't have done something more along the of their roof to achieve that open air feel. If we were able to combine that with the doors we have it would really seem like the best of both worlds to me.
http://ftw.usatoday.com/2015/01/atlanta ... ly-through

MN Fats
Union Depot

Postby MN Fats » January 16th, 2015, 11:29 am

Speaking of semi-open air stadiums, has anyone seen the fly through video for Atlanta's proposed stadium? Their retractable roof is pretty awesome.

EDIT: Link below. Also, I guess to relate it to us... it's too bad we couldn't have done something more along the of their roof to achieve that open air feel. If we were able to combine that with the doors we have it would really seem like the best of both worlds to me.
http://ftw.usatoday.com/2015/01/atlanta ... ly-through
I like that 360° scoreboard, it's a clever concept.