RBC Gateway & Four Seasons - 37 stories - 519'

Downtown - North Loop - Mill District - Elliot Park - Loring Park
mnmike
Wells Fargo Center

Re: Nicollet Hotel Block

Postby mnmike » February 6th, 2015, 1:16 pm

Yeah, probably slightly more, as there are not parking floors on this, and at least floors 2 and 3 are probably taller than LPM floors. But that doesn't make a huge difference. I would guess 400 give or take 10 feet. Or if it is 39-40 floors, then 430 feet give or take 10.

Edit, that was referring to Troy, as the other post wasn't there when I replied :)

TTT
Metrodome

Postby TTT » February 6th, 2015, 1:23 pm

The Biz Journal article says 36. Hoping for 40.

The LED does remind me of the Cosmopolitan in Las Vegas - cool for sure.

mnmike
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mnmike » February 6th, 2015, 1:58 pm

I also like the staircase connecting the skyway here...but the skyway will be a dead end to the library for quite some time, if not always, won't it?

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » February 6th, 2015, 2:01 pm

Voge just tweeted that they are considering adding 8-12 more stories

Silophant

Postby Silophant » February 6th, 2015, 2:03 pm

I don't think always. Opus will develop their parking lot eventually, which will connect the library and the new Xcel building. Might be a while, though.

Edit: 8-12 more stories? Exciting! While "iconic" is of course always going to be subjective, a new tallest residential building, with the light scheme shown in the new rendering, would have a decent shot at achieving that label.
Last edited by Silophant on February 6th, 2015, 2:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]

mnmike
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mnmike » February 6th, 2015, 2:05 pm

But I think the Xcel building will be a private skyway? It's certainly possible to connect there, yes.

Who is voge?

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » February 6th, 2015, 2:09 pm

https://twitter.com/VogeMN/status/563789322684362753

Adam Voge is the development writer for Finance & Commerce

bapster2006
Foshay Tower

Postby bapster2006 » February 6th, 2015, 2:10 pm

I estimate 410 feet simply because I've counted 40 floors 4 times from two angles and the bottom two floors are taller.

I totally had the rendering thing backwards, and I should know better ha ha.

Silophant

Postby Silophant » February 6th, 2015, 2:13 pm

The skyway across Nicollet between the old and new Xcel buildings will likely be private, in that the west end will probably be a locked door into Xcel's secured office area. They have stated that they're planning for a public connection to whatever eventually gets built on the Ritz block, though.
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]

mnmike
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mnmike » February 6th, 2015, 2:14 pm

Oh, good. Now, too bad Centerpoint dead ended it in that building.

Not that it is all about height, but if this building was around 45 floors I think it would give it a good boost as a north end of the mall landmark. Would probably make it about the same height as TPS.

nordeast homer
US Bank Plaza

Postby nordeast homer » February 6th, 2015, 3:28 pm

I'm excited to see this if they add those floors. It's already an attractive design, the lighting and the added height would make it that much better. Hoping this spurs Opus to step it up at the Ritz block now!

Anondson
IDS Center

Postby Anondson » February 6th, 2015, 3:36 pm

Well, it is iconic in that one of Minnesota's iconic families got the nod. It's good to be a Pohlad business. ;)

John
Capella Tower

Postby John » February 6th, 2015, 3:48 pm

Edit: 8-12 more stories? Exciting! While "iconic" is of course always going to be subjective, a new tallest residential building, with the light scheme shown in the new rendering, would have a decent shot at achieving that label.
I think the city may be encouraging UP to go a little taller. I believe the city is very intent on making this a great development on this critical block of Nicollet Mall ( that's the sense I get from my email conversations with council member Lisa Goodman). Really if this building is going to truly project the image of being the "gateway" of Nicollet Mall, it has to be successful at conveying that at both the street and skyline levels. Neither aspect should be neglected.

Architorture
Metrodome

Postby Architorture » February 6th, 2015, 4:45 pm

I would love to see more height as well. I wonder how many units the downtown market can handle. I'm hoping for at least this and one of the Opus buildings.

Nick
Capella Tower

Postby Nick » February 6th, 2015, 5:21 pm

Does anyone with F&C access know why they're considering adding eight to twelve stories?
Nick Magrino
[email protected]

Tyler
Foshay Tower

Postby Tyler » February 6th, 2015, 5:23 pm

For the sanctity of the word iconic.
Towns!

Nick
Capella Tower

Postby Nick » February 6th, 2015, 5:32 pm

Praise
Nick Magrino
[email protected]

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » February 6th, 2015, 5:36 pm

I'd argue that Minneapolis' iconic nature has RARELY been in height status. It's in quality and consistency of quality. We have a skyline with few duds. Major Cities like NYC and Chicago have great height and design but there is A LOT of tall questionable activity happening in between. This is a beautiful building, combined with the lighting it plays into our playful and well lit skyline. It's something that will be seen and be beautiful from NE without to obtrusive, It'll be notably tall for it's neighborhood, and will be a great gateway coming across the bridge. I like the way that it is stepping up from the river and livens up the skyline the way Target does from the south.

John
Capella Tower

Postby John » February 6th, 2015, 5:49 pm

All these jibes about using the word "iconic" to describe this development, well, that's all about being hung up about semantics. That really has nothing to do with the merits of this project. What the city wants is a design that has visual impact and a strong pedestrian orientation at the base which will contribute to the revitalization of Nicollet Mall. The UP project is looking good, and adding some height will improve upon it's visual impact. Fantastic!

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » February 6th, 2015, 6:50 pm

It might be that the 36 is the occupied floors. There maybe a couple of mechanical floors that are not counted, which might bring it to 39 floors that are shown. Time will tell. I'll admit this was my second choice. But I'm still not sure it will really help increase the draw of people to the north end. I HOPE I"M WRONG!!

I hope the Pohlad's will not skimp on the lighting at the end like the last two towers did!!