Chicago Avenue Corridor - Powderhorn & Nokomis Area

Calhoun-Isles, Cedar-Riverside, Longfellow, Nokomis, Phillips, Powderhorn, and Southwest
mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Re: Chicago Avenue - Powderhorn (Lake St to 42nd St)

Postby mattaudio » June 20th, 2013, 12:28 pm

3 lanes can move traffic better than 4 lanes...
https://streets.mn/2013/01/15/4-to-3-ro ... y-of-life/

The complicating factor here is bus service, but maybe that would be less of an issue when the greenway streetcar takes most of the 21 frequencies.

MNdible
is great.

Re: Chicago Avenue - Powderhorn (Lake St to 42nd St)

Postby MNdible » June 20th, 2013, 12:54 pm

Remember that at key intersections, Lake Street is really 5 lanes now.

twincitizen

Re: Chicago Ave - Powderhorn & Nokomis Area

Postby twincitizen » February 18th, 2015, 8:49 am

Hot Intersections: 48th & Chicago http://www.southwestjournal.com/voices/ ... th-chicago

So hot, it's apparently now getting coverage in the SWJ.

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » February 18th, 2015, 9:35 am

Yeah, we're covered in their "travel section" -- we're definitely not in their coverage area.

Other news for South Chicago: The Nokomis Farmers Market is coming back this year, this time weekly on Wednesday evenings.

billhelm
Nicollet Mall

Postby billhelm » February 18th, 2015, 10:58 am

Yeah, we're covered in their "travel section" -- we're definitely not in their coverage area.

Other news for South Chicago: The Nokomis Farmers Market is coming back this year, this time weekly on Wednesday evenings.
We'll always have the Southside Pride. :P

Good to hear that market is coming back weekly. It was quite popular last year when only once a month.

mister.shoes
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mister.shoes » February 18th, 2015, 11:59 am

Two thoughts immediately spring to mind:

1. Great... more BMW drivers from SW slumming it on the east side of 35W. /s
2. Maybe the intersection will get hot enough that the Parkway Theater will go back to showing actual movies again. We really miss walking there to catch a flick.
The problem with being an introvert online is that no one knows you're just hanging out and listening.

HiawathaGuy
Wells Fargo Center

Postby HiawathaGuy » February 18th, 2015, 3:34 pm

I live in Nokomis East - I enjoy driving my BMW to this area and checking out all the shops. One of my favorites stops is Minneapolis Chandlery (https://www.facebook.com/minneapolischandlery). Amazing candles, and cool workshops.

mister.shoes
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mister.shoes » February 18th, 2015, 4:49 pm

If we get enough SWers in the area to entice Parkway to show movies again, it'll be well worth it. No snarking.
The problem with being an introvert online is that no one knows you're just hanging out and listening.

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » February 18th, 2015, 5:16 pm

The reason why the Parkway stopped showing most movies is because the industry switched to digital projection. It's very expensive to retrofit. Riverview bought digital projection, but Parkway didn't... so they still show the occasional "special feature" older film on actual film, but none of the new stuff that arrives on hard disk.

blobs
Nicollet Mall

Postby blobs » February 19th, 2015, 10:06 am

Hey I got east of 35W lol didn't know that was "a thing"

mister.shoes
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mister.shoes » February 19th, 2015, 12:31 pm

I should have given a little context to my original snark: In the six years that I've lived in Field, we've noticed a large uptick in people coming to 48th/Chicago who have that "out of my element" look in their eyes while parking on some side street and walking over to the restaurants. This uptick corresponded loosely with the opening of Town Hall Tap—and for good reason: it's an awesome restaurant. I think a lot of people don't even know about that intersection until they show up for the first time, then are totally blown away by how cool it is. I know the first time I accidentally found it 8 or so years ago I was pretty gobsmacked.

So anyway, combine the pride that we [just barely] east siders feel for our neighborhood node with the fact that we're overshadowed by SW and you get a little snarkiness toward neighborhood visitors from the other side of the freeway :)

fehler
Rice Park

Postby fehler » February 19th, 2015, 12:54 pm

I still miss the Greek Deli. Best Gyros and Greek Salad.

cooperrez
Landmark Center

Postby cooperrez » February 19th, 2015, 1:00 pm

I should have given a little context to my original snark: In the six years that I've lived in Field, we've noticed a large uptick in people coming to 48th/Chicago who have that "out of my element" look in their eyes while parking on some side street and walking over to the restaurants. This uptick corresponded loosely with the opening of Town Hall Tap—and for good reason: it's an awesome restaurant. I think a lot of people don't even know about that intersection until they show up for the first time, then are totally blown away by how cool it is. I know the first time I accidentally found it 8 or so years ago I was pretty gobsmacked.

So anyway, combine the pride that we [just barely] east siders feel for our neighborhood node with the fact that we're overshadowed by SW and you get a little snarkiness toward neighborhood visitors from the other side of the freeway :)
Funny, whenever I bring the family over to that area and park on say Elliot and 48th, I'm self-conscious of the neighborhood people thinking something like, where did that trash blow in from? I guess it all depends on your perspective.

UrsusUrbanicus
Nicollet Mall

Postby UrsusUrbanicus » February 20th, 2015, 1:54 pm

Funny, whenever I bring the family over to that area and park on say Elliot and 48th, I'm self-conscious of the neighborhood people thinking something like, where did that trash blow in from? I guess it all depends on your perspective.
Do they think you're... heaven forfend... RENTERS? ;-)

billhelm
Nicollet Mall

Postby billhelm » February 20th, 2015, 2:07 pm

I miss the greek deli for the gyro omelette and the pancakes, but net-net, I think Town Hall Tap is a huge gain for the neighborhood. It set the bar high when it opened in 2010.

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » October 14th, 2015, 4:23 pm

Mike Stebnitz plans to open Eco.Culture 'Goods for your Home and Habitat' at 3725 Chicago
which is anew concept, planned to be a collaborative market of retailers that share the values of sustainability, affordability
and creativity. The combination of retailers will be from 8 to 15, of various sizes. Some of the planned uses include; a urban agriculture retailer, a home furnishings creator who makes items from reclaimed materials in our every-day landscape, a vintage vinyl records seller, and a green-friendly clothing retailer. All planned merchants are dry-goods type retailers. The current plan is that the lower level basement will be used for rentable storage and perhaps distribution for some of the onsite retailers.
http://www.ci.minneapolis.mn.us/www/gro ... 150249.pdf

fehler
Rice Park

Postby fehler » October 15th, 2015, 11:28 am

That's the fanciest description of a drug den that I've ever read.

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » January 31st, 2016, 7:03 pm

First Course on 56th/Chicago has closed.

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » May 19th, 2016, 2:44 pm

http://www.bizjournals.com/twincities/n ... edina.html?

"Shop in the City" is relocating from 48th & Chicago to 50th & France; business owner has some harsh words back & forth with the property owner, who sounds like a real treat

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Re: Chicago Avenue Corridor - Powderhorn & Nokomis Area

Postby mattaudio » May 19th, 2016, 3:30 pm

Yeah there was some Nextdoor drama about this a while ago. I guess I got emailed by the reporter about this today but didn't get the email until now. I will say, Harvey generates strong emotions of all varieties. But he has had a lot to do with making 48th and Chicago what it is today.