City Club Apartments - 1000 Marquette Ave (Handicraft Building)

Downtown - North Loop - Mill District - Elliot Park - Loring Park
HiawathaGuy
Wells Fargo Center

Re: 10th & Marquette Development

Postby HiawathaGuy » February 19th, 2015, 4:37 pm

This would be the perfect spot for a multi-step building. I'll take the infill and do think it has some visual interest.
But from Marquette, it sort of looks like a narrow hotel.

I'd prefer to see a stepped tower with a 6, 12 & 24 story element. But alas, there must be a reason developers don't do this. But I'd much prefer to see a portion jut up taller at at the corner of 10th & Marquette.
Last edited by HiawathaGuy on February 19th, 2015, 4:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mnmike
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mnmike » February 19th, 2015, 4:37 pm

Yeah, I don't think I care for this, along with destroying one of the few buildings of note in the area...it takes away all but one retail space on the ground level...making a dead street wall out of one of the few places in downtown that is not!
Last edited by mnmike on February 19th, 2015, 4:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Postby seanrichardryan » February 19th, 2015, 4:37 pm

I'd say I've seen this design before.

via Bapster:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/104362033 ... 422350005/

how moderne.
Q. What, what? A. In da butt.

TroyGBiv
US Bank Plaza

Postby TroyGBiv » February 19th, 2015, 4:42 pm

I've always wished that the Handicraft Guild become an Arts and Crafts Museum... Most people don't know anything about it's incredible history. It would have been really exciting to have this tower reflect architecture from that period. Just my fantasy...

TroyGBiv
US Bank Plaza

Postby TroyGBiv » February 19th, 2015, 4:47 pm

I hearby declare that fantasy is back!

Anondson
IDS Center

Postby Anondson » February 19th, 2015, 4:55 pm

Do not like this look.

mog
Block E

Postby mog » February 19th, 2015, 5:01 pm

Yeah, I don't think I care for this, along with destroying one of the few buildings of note in the area...it takes away all but one retail space on the ground level...making a dead street wall out of one of the few places in downtown that is not!
I agree! I can't believe they are going to destroy such a cool old building! There are so many other places this could be built.

David Greene
IDS Center

Postby David Greene » February 19th, 2015, 5:05 pm

That white is going to be grey in about three months.

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » February 19th, 2015, 5:39 pm

Doubt it but after looking at this building more, the more I hate it, even if those aren't the final colors. So they want townhomes lining Marq? That's umm odd. They're actually taking a step back if they approve these plans. We have street retail space in a historic building, one of the spaces is a shirt print store which is really really cool. Also there's that womans clothing store. Seriously, shame on this developer for choosing right here to build. This would fit in mill district but not downtown west. The core.

seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Postby seanrichardryan » February 19th, 2015, 5:45 pm

Read the thread people........these are not going to be the final colors. Look at the City docs.
From the city docs-
In keeping with the spirit of the guild industry, the building takes on a modern artisan approach to the qualities of a crafted design and structure, continuing the legacy of the original Guild building built
decades ago. The project represents a seamless integration between structure, function, materials and
aesthetics to create an architecture grounded in the craft of making and current technologies. The
structure consists of a steel post/girder, and precast concrete slab framework with an efficient and
repetitive grid. The exterior evolves from this regular grid system to incorporate large floor to ceiling
window units that alternate with a solid energy efficient insulated wall panel. The wall panels subtly
alternate between white and grey
to echo a timeless checkered mosaic pattern commonly utilized by
most progressive societies, ancient and modern, whether in small crafted tiles, pottery or architecture.
Windows and projected balconies provide a detailed play of these alternating colors for increased
animation.
Some good old fashion salesman bullshitting right there.

EOst
Capella Tower

Postby EOst » February 19th, 2015, 5:56 pm

I'm going to be one of the NIMBYs speaking against this.

seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Postby seanrichardryan » February 19th, 2015, 5:57 pm

I do remember the owners of this building protesting the designation in 98'. Are they the same?

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » February 19th, 2015, 5:57 pm

That is amazing. That is how you use detail and graphic shape to take a simple (boring) shape and concept to create interest and make it look dynamic.

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » February 19th, 2015, 6:01 pm

Writing to staff on this one. Drastic mind change after looking into the files of this. This building is protected by the Minneapolis Historical Preservation, and was designed by William Channing Whitney. You may know him from beautiful homes built near the walker and the Minneapolis club and a few more amazing buildings.

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » February 19th, 2015, 6:07 pm

I'd say I've seen this design before.

via Bapster:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/104362033 ... 422350005/

how moderne.
I mean yes it's modern, and that building could have been great. Ie the hotel modern in Boise... but this project has such different detail and glass and amenities, plus a great juxtaposition between past and present.

Minneboy
US Bank Plaza

Postby Minneboy » February 19th, 2015, 6:08 pm

Read the thread people........these are not going to be the final colors. Look at the City docs.
From the city docs-
In keeping with the spirit of the guild industry, the building takes on a modern artisan approach to the qualities of a crafted design and structure, continuing the legacy of the original Guild building built
decades ago. The project represents a seamless integration between structure, function, materials and
aesthetics to create an architecture grounded in the craft of making and current technologies. The
structure consists of a steel post/girder, and precast concrete slab framework with an efficient and
repetitive grid. The exterior evolves from this regular grid system to incorporate large floor to ceiling
window units that alternate with a solid energy efficient insulated wall panel. The wall panels subtly
alternate between white and grey
to echo a timeless checkered mosaic pattern commonly utilized by
most progressive societies, ancient and modern, whether in small crafted tiles, pottery or architecture.
Windows and projected balconies provide a detailed play of these alternating colors for increased
animation.
Some good old fashion salesman bullshitting right there.
Perhaps they can paint some chess pieces on it or actual chess pieces in large form, to go with the nearby music sheet building. You know show how smart we are.

Minneboy
US Bank Plaza

Re: Downtown Minneapolis General Topics & Development Map

Postby Minneboy » February 19th, 2015, 6:12 pm

Unrelated to current discussion on schools, but have we talked about this proposed building before? https://twitter.com/smckenzie21/status/ ... 9467916288

Appears to be new to me.
New 18-story, 293-unit residential bldg proposed for 10th & Marquette next to Handicraft Guild Bldg

LOVE IT!

I was thinking this was the Schmidt music lot but then I looked up the handicraft guild building and its the block southwest of that. So relieved the music note lot is being preserved for a future office tower. Looks like they would have to demo the buildings facing Marquette but the ground level appears to be consciously trying to re-create that facade even if what's above is completely modern. And it looks like they didn't touch the actual handicraft building. Still will probably end up in a historical preservation fight :( .
It would look a lot better if each of those grey squares (or what ever color it might become, jutted out at a 45 degree angel Give it some twist to it then just color.

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » February 19th, 2015, 6:39 pm

219 ft wide. So it's wider than it is tall. The 1016 Marq site alone is 47.3' alone and 110' deep. The current design calls for a depth of 219' and a width of around 63'. Could they possibly flip it over and build something taller but just not destroying a historic building and just destroy a 1 story vacant crap shack.

bapster2006
Foshay Tower

Postby bapster2006 » February 19th, 2015, 6:42 pm

Andrew_F
Rice Park

Postby Andrew_F » February 19th, 2015, 6:45 pm

This building is protected by the Minneapolis Historical Preservation

For anyone seeking clarification as to why the city's website and the current CoW staff report do not refer to 1004 Marquette (one of the buildings proposed to be demolished) as historic, but older documents refer to it as part of the Handicraft Building, this may help: http://www.minneapolismn.gov/www/groups ... 090030.pdf
Last edited by Andrew_F on February 19th, 2015, 7:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.