Downtown Minneapolis Restaurant News

Downtown - North Loop - Mill District - Elliot Park - Loring Park
Tyler
Foshay Tower

Re: Downtown Restaurant News

Postby Tyler » February 6th, 2015, 10:43 am

The interior overhaul is welcome news. I went once way back in the Steven Brown days. The food was good but I hated the space and never returned.
Towns!

HiawathaGuy
Wells Fargo Center

Postby HiawathaGuy » February 12th, 2015, 2:23 pm

Minneapolis' Taste of Thailand calls it quits after eight years
http://www.bizjournals.com/twincities/n ... loses.html

Time for Cushman & Wakefield/NorthMarq and landlord Michael Lazaretti to get creative with this newly vacated space, along with the long-vacant Chevy's space and lure something amazing. How about Famous Dave's or Buffalo Wild Wings?! OR Cheesecake Factory. The possibilities truly are endless... not sure why this corner seems to be so damn difficult to fill.

TommyT
Target Field

Postby TommyT » February 12th, 2015, 3:21 pm

I walk by this every day and honestly thought it was already closed. I've never seen it open and it just looks dirty inside.

nickmgray
Union Depot

Postby nickmgray » February 13th, 2015, 8:57 am

With the transformation of Block E across the street, it may be the right time for a chain restaurant to move in. As much as I hate to downtown's that are filled with dozens of chain restaurants, we've lost nearly all of our in the past 10 years. We used to have a TGI Fridays, Applebee'ss and Chevy's and Olive Garden within 200 feet of each other.

Silophant

Postby Silophant » February 13th, 2015, 9:08 am

I'd patronize the crap out of a Pizza Ranch or BWW.
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]

trkaiser
Landmark Center

Postby trkaiser » February 13th, 2015, 9:24 am

I'm in the franchise industry, and was recently told that Minneapolis is the #1 restaurant growth market in the entire country. With recent articles touting this tidbit, I would expect an uptick in chain-type restaurant activity in the city - including downtown. This recent economic growth has led to a lot of franchised restaurants of all types undertaking significant expansions. It will be interesting to see what new stuff comes our way.

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » February 13th, 2015, 9:29 am

I walk by this every day and honestly thought it was already closed. I've never seen it open and it just looks dirty inside.
I used to (2011-2012) go past this corner almost every day and thought the same. Sure, it was usually morning when the restaurant wasn't open, but just looking though the windows gave the impression that it was not currently in business.

What exactly is the deal with this landlord that they couldn't attract anyone to fill the vacant Chevy's space for what, 10 years now? You really have to hope either this corner or Mayo Clinic Square attracts something good soon. I agree with y'all, a chain would be perfectly fine in either space at 7th & Hennepin. Just open something, anything, for the love of god, before the black hole swallows Seven too.

5th Ave Guy
Landmark Center

Postby 5th Ave Guy » February 13th, 2015, 10:02 am

I used to (2011-2012) go past this corner almost every day and thought the same. Sure, it was usually morning when the restaurant wasn't open, but just looking though the windows gave the impression that it was not currently in business.

What exactly is the deal with this landlord that they couldn't attract anyone to fill the vacant Chevy's space for what, 10 years now? You really have to hope either this corner or Mayo Clinic Square attracts something good soon. I agree with y'all, a chain would be perfectly fine in either space at 7th & Hennepin. Just open something, anything, for the love of god, before the black hole swallows Seven too.
I'm not sure if they'd put another one this close to the West End, but I'd love to see a Yard House in that old Chevy's location or in Mayo Square.

Tyler
Foshay Tower

Postby Tyler » February 13th, 2015, 10:06 am

Cheescake Factory's still pack in the yokels.
Towns!

sushisimo
Landmark Center

Postby sushisimo » February 13th, 2015, 10:26 am

I don't know where my mind is pulling this from, but I'd like to see Fitger's from Duluth move to this location. They had pretty zealous plans to move into the North Loop and then totally pulled back. They'd be akin to Rock Bottom, which does well, but better.

Record Machine
Metrodome

Postby Record Machine » February 13th, 2015, 4:56 pm

Minneapolis' Taste of Thailand calls it quits after eight years
http://www.bizjournals.com/twincities/n ... loses.html
That's a bummer but not surprising. Hands down my favorite pad thai, but I've never experienced such consistently poor service.

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » February 16th, 2015, 3:23 pm

Freshii is now open in Gaviidae common. It looks really nice. Smells good too. Like. Fresh

mamundsen
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mamundsen » February 25th, 2015, 8:12 am

Not sure if this is the best place for it...

1st Ave really has seen some hard times these past few years. As I drove in this morning I noticed that Uncle Buck's bar (1st and 5th) looked closed. The sign was covered in black and there were sheer drapes covering all the windows. I thought the drapes were a strange touch. Normally it would be empty windows or covered in paper.

I bet there are 5-6+ empty bar/nightclub spots along a 3 block stretch. Uncle Bucks, Imperial Room, Bootleggers, Johnny Tequilas, Smalley's Alley, others???

Could it be because the "bar scene" is expanding and changing to North Loop, towards Target Field (Cowboy Jacks and Shout House), and all the tap rooms around town?

To me it's an interesting change. Thoughts?

Viktor Vaughn
Target Field

Postby Viktor Vaughn » February 25th, 2015, 8:28 am

The Sunday night shenanigans with riot police, tear gas, and unruly crowds has worn on this area. I think it's gotten a bad reputation even though it's mostly just weekend bar close when the problems occur.

sushisimo
Landmark Center

Postby sushisimo » February 25th, 2015, 8:39 am

and all the tap rooms around town?

To me it's an interesting change. Thoughts?
I think it's this. It seems the new wave of downtown patrons aren't as interested in that scene anymore.

seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Postby seanrichardryan » February 25th, 2015, 8:45 am

Yet Brother's lives on....
*shudder
Q. What, what? A. In da butt.

mamundsen
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mamundsen » February 25th, 2015, 9:01 am

Ok so next question... What is the best way to revitalize 1st Ave?

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » February 25th, 2015, 9:11 am

*Sorry, my post is coming in late. I began to type, but it looks like others have mostly said the same thing before I got the post in.*

It seemed most of those bars mentioned above were frequented mostly by suburbanites and 21 year olds. A few of the true "dance club" type places (Karma, etc.) have closed in that area as well.

I suppose entertainment districts tend to wax and wane with time. Also, there being more bars/taprooms/restaurants all over the city, as well as in the suburbs, has to play a factor in people's willingness to come to the Warehouse District to party. The weird thing is that the neighborhoods surrounding the "clubby" part of the Warehouse District have never been safer and more populated with 24/7 residents than they are today. Perhaps it's only natural that some of the most unruly type of bars are pushed out of this area as it too transitions to residential, office, retail, etc.

mulad

Postby mulad » February 25th, 2015, 9:29 am

Regardless of who goes there and what they get up to, this is an area that has been in desperate need of wider sidewalks.

TommyT
Target Field

Postby TommyT » March 6th, 2015, 4:27 pm

It's about time Vellee opens! I walk by this every day and it seemed like they'd never take the temporary door down.
http://www.bizjournals.com/twincities/m ... onday.html