Twin Cities' National and Global Image

Introductions - Urban Issues - Miscellaneous News, Topics, Interests
David Greene
IDS Center

Re: Twin Cities' National and Global Image

Postby David Greene » March 10th, 2015, 10:13 am

Just curious, what DO you prefer to see on a resume? If somebody doesn't have a super-specific and unique skillset, what are they supposed to tout?
You answered your own question. Projects worked on and accomplishments. Even if it's school projects, tell me the general gist of it and what leadership you displayed.

Sure, there are some skill requirements for a job in our group. At a bare minimum one must know how to program but I don't even care about the specific languages you know. What concepts do you know? We're a C++ shop so knowledge of pointers and indirection is a must. If you've got the concepts you can learn the syntax.

Helpful things to see:
- Demonstrated skill working medium/large projects
- Leadership ability
- Design patterns/software engineering knowledge/something that says you understand higher-level concepts

Not helpful things:
- Python
- Perl
- Java
- <language du jour>
- <web technology du jour>
- <database du jour>
- "Linux"
- <editor du jour>
- <IDE du jour>

Nick is right that the challenge is getting through the HR filter. Thinking back on our recent group hires, the best people came from the non-HR process: connections on development e-mail lists, etc. As always, it's who you know.

I agree with mister.shoes that hiring contractors is a very different ballgame. Our group doesn't tend to do that because it takes so much time to get up to speed on our technology anyway. The ramp-up time is too long for contractors even if they're the best programmers in the world.

David Greene
IDS Center

Postby David Greene » March 10th, 2015, 10:55 am

Huh, for some reason I can't edit.

Anyway, I should add that the above was written from a generic group perspective. For our group in particular, knowledge of compilers will shoot you right to the top of consideration. Even if it's just a compilers class listed on the resume, it demonstrates fundamental knowledge you'll need to work in our group, such as dataflow analysis, intermediate representation, gradual lowering and so on. Better yet if you've worked on a real project like Clang/LLVM or gcc. This is all stuff that can be learned by smart people so not having it doesn't penalize you in my eye, but having it is definitely a plus.

So I may have domain-specific things I'm looking for, but they're more substantial than "I know Go."

Mods, please move this sub-thread to a more appropriate location. Maybe a new Anything Goes topic like "Hiring Practices" or something.

Unity77
Landmark Center

Postby Unity77 » March 10th, 2015, 11:18 am

I'm a recruiter within the Twin Cities tech sector and I've recruited for both agency as well as in-house. Twin Cities companies are facing a number of issues when it comes to attracting and keeping talent ... Target has had to set up tech shop elsewhere (Cailifornia) because it can’t find the talent here.
There are companies like Amazon recruiting local talent left and right and locals are worried about what we should be referred to as.
These two statements do not seem congruous. Which is it?
Did I state Amazon is only hiring away tech talent? They are hiring away creative types too.
And beyond that, I'm curious what the remedy is. We're never going to change the weather (well, at least at a micro level), so what's the solution that government officials should be focused on? We're already a high-wage, pretty high QOL, and lack the expenses of the coasts (all of this, of course, why the Atlantic had the whole "Miracle in Minneapolis" thing). Most of the issues you raise aren't exactly anything that the City of Minneapolis or Met Council or State of Minnesota can wave their wand and change.
If I had the answer, I wouldn't be posting here. All I know is that government officials / entities shouldn't be focus on a dumb name change as it won't help anything.

xandrex
Wells Fargo Center

Postby xandrex » March 10th, 2015, 1:40 pm

So do I, but I feel like computers that filter resumes for buzzwords tend to eat that shit up. How many words long is the best way to phrase "filing"?
Fixed that. :mrgreen:
Did I state Amazon is only hiring away tech talent? They are hiring away creative types too.
I'm confused. Where did I state tech talent solely in what you quoted? I was pointing out your two statements didn't seem to mesh. One says we don't have the talent (hence, going to Cali), the other says we're losing our talent (so why would Target look to Cali if the talent is already here?)
If I had the answer, I wouldn't be posting here. All I know is that government officials / entities shouldn't be focus on a dumb name change as it won't help anything.
There are certainly bigger fish to fry, but that's always the case with just about everything. I don't see why private individuals pushing to help re-brand our region is a bad thing. It's hardly taking up all of their time. Besides a meeting at the Walker and talking to a few journalists, what time has been lost trying to fix other issues we have (which plenty of officials seem to at least be aware of and want to address)?

FISHMANPET
IDS Center

Postby FISHMANPET » March 10th, 2015, 1:41 pm

And if our problem with talent is some kind of recruiting/retention thing, then why wouldn't a rebranding of the region be on the table?

mulad

Postby mulad » March 19th, 2015, 8:06 pm

Minneapolis is going on a new version of the Monopoly board: http://www.startribune.com/entertainment/296888421.html

nBode
Union Depot

Postby nBode » March 21st, 2015, 5:26 pm

So apparently Minneapolis will be represented with someone ice fishing. Waconia gets some corn. Most other places get city skylines. Sigh...

https://cbsminnesota.files.wordpress.co ... board2.jpg

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » March 22nd, 2015, 9:56 am

Wtf. I hate this.

talindsay
Wells Fargo Center

Postby talindsay » March 22nd, 2015, 3:36 pm

Really, you guys take something that has Pierre, SD, represented with Mount Rushmore (which isn't close to Pierre), as the mist valuable spit in the country, seriously? These special editions jumped the shark ages ago, this is pandering to the people who can think it matters, namely people in south Dakota.

Nick
Capella Tower

Postby Nick » March 22nd, 2015, 3:56 pm

Remember Monopoly?
Nick Magrino
[email protected]

Suburban Outcast
Landmark Center

Postby Suburban Outcast » March 22nd, 2015, 5:43 pm

You can always play the "Twin Cities Edition" of Monopoly (I think from the 90s) that is now full of defunct or renamed businesses (Minnegasco, National City Bank, Dayton's, etc.).

http://monopolytraveler.com/blog/wp-con ... -Board.jpg

min-chi-cbus
Capella Tower

Postby min-chi-cbus » March 22nd, 2015, 9:42 pm

That's the one I have!

xandrex
Wells Fargo Center

Postby xandrex » March 23rd, 2015, 10:54 am

http://www.gallup.com/poll/182051/san-f ... ntage.aspx

I've got to say...I was quite surprised when I saw how...um..."un-gay" our metro is compared to a lot of other places. We're really far down there. Minneapolis is pretty regularly cited as an LGBT haven and the community makes up a pretty large percent of the city's population. Do LGBT people just not leave the city here?

Tyler
Foshay Tower

Postby Tyler » March 23rd, 2015, 11:15 am

It's like a lot of things here. There is a pronounced cultural divide between the city and the burbs.
Towns!

Unity77
Landmark Center

Postby Unity77 » March 23rd, 2015, 11:24 am

http://www.gallup.com/poll/182051/san-f ... ntage.aspx

I've got to say...I was quite surprised when I saw how...um..."un-gay" our metro is compared to a lot of other places. We're really far down there. Minneapolis is pretty regularly cited as an LGBT haven and the community makes up a pretty large percent of the city's population. Do LGBT people just not leave the city here?
I just saw the full list and I'm a bit confused. Does N represent the number of LGBT individuals or the number of people surveyed?

Silophant

Postby Silophant » March 23rd, 2015, 11:27 am

Isn't that basically how we got those #1 rankings a couple years ago, because basically basically all of the indicators (lesbian bars, theatre seats, whatever) for the 3-million person metro area were in 400,000-person Minneapolis, shooting the per capita numbers way up?
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]

xandrex
Wells Fargo Center

Postby xandrex » March 23rd, 2015, 11:29 am

It's like a lot of things here. There is a pronounced cultural divide between the city and the burbs.
But are we actually any more divided than lots of other metros in our divide? I don't know that we're special in that regard.

fehler
Rice Park

Postby fehler » March 23rd, 2015, 12:46 pm

I had a knock-off Minneapolis Monopoly board from the '80s that had the three top spaces of Daytons, Bloomingdales, and Powers.

Chef
Landmark Center

Postby Chef » March 23rd, 2015, 2:17 pm

But are we actually any more divided than lots of other metros in our divide? I don't know that we're special in that regard.
I think we probably are, at least compared to our peer cities. As far as I know, Chicago, Denver and the cities of the northeast and west coast don't have exurbs that elect people like Michelle Bachmann. My perspective as a transplant from upstate NY has always been that Minneapolis proper is pretty far to the left within the American spectrum but the Twin Cities right is very hard right compared to what I am used to. Like hard core authoritarian, borderline neo-fascist right - more iron fist than jesus freak in style.

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » March 23rd, 2015, 2:20 pm

Stearns County aside, I think you'll find that:

1. They aren't really as conservative as you make them out to be, and

2. Conservatives everywhere have become much more conservative over the last 20 years, and continue to do so.