IDS Center

Downtown - North Loop - Mill District - Elliot Park - Loring Park
robotlollipop
Metrodome

Re: IDS Center

Postby robotlollipop » October 13th, 2012, 3:51 am

Meh. I love that they are adding something to the skyline but it seems a bit half-assed, no?

sushisimo
Landmark Center

Postby sushisimo » October 13th, 2012, 10:08 am

Meh. I love that they are adding something to the skyline but it seems a bit half-assed, no?
Agreed. It's like the IDS is looking down the street at a younger, flashy Target HQ and having a mid-life crisis. Basically, the IDS colored lights are the equivalent of a guy with a bad comb-over in a convertible blasting Boston.

mplsfinchhd
Block E

Postby mplsfinchhd » October 13th, 2012, 10:15 am

I don't agree with either of you. The colored lighting looks very nice.The IDS switched to LED lighting and can display any color they choose to in an array of patterns. It took a while to do and was a major improvement. The crown lights on the IDS are a signature of the building and seeing those changing colors up there is a treat now. I wouldn't have wanted anything different done with them.

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » October 13th, 2012, 10:49 am

I wonder what the minimalist modernist architect feels about flashy colored lights... lol

John
Capella Tower

Postby John » October 13th, 2012, 12:18 pm

I wonder what the minimalist modernist architect feels about flashy colored lights... lol
It doesn't appear overdone at all to me. Just enhances and takes advantage of the of the tower's lovely angled crown. As for trying to compete with the Target building for attention, I don't get that impression at all. It's really a great nighttime addition to the dance of light on our skyline's edge. Gives another layer of visual richness.

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » October 13th, 2012, 12:39 pm

I was hoping maybe they would do a cascading white strobe light down the inside corners of the building, and do a shimmer like the Eiffel tower (secretly that was my plan ;) )

John
Capella Tower

Postby John » October 13th, 2012, 12:48 pm

I was hoping maybe they would do a cascading white strobe light down the inside corners of the building, and do a shimmer like the Eiffel tower (secretly that was my plan ;) )
He he he . I LOVE that idea!

sushisimo
Landmark Center

Postby sushisimo » October 13th, 2012, 1:11 pm

That was my immediate thought as well, I wept a little for Philip Johnson. The simple white lights looked clean and austere, and now it seems odd and tacky. But whatevs, my two cents are spent.

Avian
Union Depot

Postby Avian » October 13th, 2012, 3:34 pm

Ha, yes, but remember he also designed this:

“Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something.”
― Plato

mplsfinchhd
Block E

Postby mplsfinchhd » October 13th, 2012, 3:38 pm

Here's another video from last night
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uCTprbh ... ature=plcp

I put up one other video from September 22 with the Autumn colors on the IDS. This is one with more daylight above and a nice color in the skyline.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-AI_Z9N ... ature=plcp

seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Postby seanrichardryan » October 13th, 2012, 9:26 pm

Ha, yes, but remember he also designed this:

Hey, we all have a little trashy post-modernist inside us. Don't hate or I'll call Michael Graves.
Q. What, what? A. In da butt.

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » October 14th, 2012, 7:46 am

Hey, we all have a little trashy post-modernist inside us. Don't hate or I'll call Michael Graves.
Totally, for as long as Johnson was around, he had to adapt through a few eras. I hardly think that is as offensive as some. Let's not bash Graves too hard either. His addition to MIA is great, and as fantastical as his other things are they're worth keeping around.

sushisimo
Landmark Center

Postby sushisimo » October 14th, 2012, 8:26 am

^ Liking that somebody knows that Orvin Olson Park is the best kept secret in town.

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » October 14th, 2012, 10:47 am

Let's not bash Graves too hard either. His addition to MIA is great, and as fantastical as his other things are they're worth keeping around.
No, that MIA addition is bad, bad stuff. Looks like a mausoleum for Mussolini. Bad on him for designing it, and bad on Target for foisting that upon us to promote the selling of cute Graves housewares when his Po-Mo architecture was already 10 years out of style.

John
Capella Tower

Postby John » October 14th, 2012, 1:38 pm

Phiilip Johnson did a fantastic postmodern design for this bank tower in Houston. It was a masterful synthesis of historical references with a modern attitude that avoided being overly sentimental or a pastiche of the past. Has a gracious silhouette on the Houston Skyline.

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » October 15th, 2012, 1:02 pm

I always envy houston for that one.

gahwi003
Metrodome

Postby gahwi003 » October 15th, 2012, 1:42 pm

Relly? IMO, this building doesn't belong in Houston. I always thought this belonged in Austin or San Antonio.

It seems so...alamo-like if you will. Not that it's a poorly designed building by any standards, but I still feel that it is an oddball in Houston. If you are not familiar with Austin or San Antonio, check the skylines out and you will realize what I mean.

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » October 15th, 2012, 1:51 pm

I just mean I love that building, and envy it when I see it in their skyline, been to those other cities a number of times!

John
Capella Tower

Postby John » October 15th, 2012, 2:34 pm

Relly? IMO, this building doesn't belong in Houston. I always thought this belonged in Austin or San Antonio.

It seems so...alamo-like if you will. Not that it's a poorly designed building by any standards, but I still feel that it is an oddball in Houston. If you are not familiar with Austin or San Antonio, check the skylines out and you will realize what I mean.
It's an oddball building for Houston because it's so urbane ;) .

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » December 10th, 2012, 8:22 pm