Nordic House - 729 Washington Av N

Downtown - North Loop - Mill District - Elliot Park - Loring Park
Nathan
Capella Tower

Re: 729 Washington Av N

Postby Nathan » March 14th, 2015, 12:16 am

The City really ought to trade Greco something (idk what) to force them to connect the grid through this site. These plans are obviously pretty preliminary but the park kinda looks like an afterthought...why is the ramp on that side of the parcel? Put it closer to the building and connect Washington to 3rd Street. We've passed up multiple opportunities around here (and in Dinkytown) to reconnect the grid, which I'm pretty sure is supposed to be an official-ish policy of the City. That whole stretch of Washington is a speedway.
To me it looks too thought out. The ramp is there so that driver's on Washington can see it, the connectivity is good. People want ramp, direct them to ramp.

I'm totally on your side but I feel like there are a lot of motives behind this layout while still creating good spaces and functionality.

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » March 14th, 2015, 1:04 pm

There is still a parcel to be developed on the east side of the ramp. So that part of the ramp maybe covered in the future by some form of development. You can't build to the south of 3rd as I believe that is owned by Richardson/Shafer who built the 3 400 condos along 4th street. I'll take one ramp as apposed to several small parking facilities spread out and adding several more curb cuts. The area that it is built will have it in a central area so walking once you park is not going to be a long walk. Also a majority of the parking will used by the 701 building that has so far been using the empty lots for parking. So it is close and convenient.

Aville_37
Union Depot

Postby Aville_37 » March 15th, 2015, 10:16 am

Understand the need for parking but why not line the ramp with housing or make it mixed use? At the least, it should blend in more with the look of other warehouses in the area. My biggest pet peeve is having a parking ramp overlooking the park. People want green space in the area. Missed opportunity to have park surrounded by housing, or again, mixed uses - office, restaurants, etc. Best example of an urban park in MN is Mears Park in St. Paul.

swallman
Metrodome

Postby swallman » March 15th, 2015, 7:13 pm

Really not happy about it being such a tall building across the street from ElseWarehouse (where we currently live). We're only on the 3rd floor and it will completely block out any possible sun we get...will probably be looking to move.

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » March 15th, 2015, 7:44 pm

Move to Linden Hills :)

Munch'n
Nicollet Mall

Postby Munch'n » March 15th, 2015, 7:46 pm

Really not happy about it being such a tall building across the street from ElseWarehouse (where we currently live). We're only on the 3rd floor and it will completely block out any possible sun we get...will probably be looking to move.
I doubt it will block that much light.....
Meet me in Wells

Silophant

Postby Silophant » March 15th, 2015, 7:47 pm

I am also unhappy when more people would like to live where I like to live.
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]

swallman
Metrodome

Postby swallman » March 15th, 2015, 7:55 pm

I doubt it will block that much light.....
I imagine it depends on how far back it's from the street but if it's as close as our building then I'm sure it will affect it quite a bit. 7 additional stores (above our current floor) is quite a bit!

Munch'n
Nicollet Mall

Postby Munch'n » March 15th, 2015, 7:58 pm

The sun moves, plus you are going to get a giant park, feet away!
Meet me in Wells

swallman
Metrodome

Postby swallman » March 15th, 2015, 8:16 pm

Well hopefully the restriping plan for Washington Ave. goes through this summer so that crossing the street isn't akin to crossing a freeway lol...it's bad down here, especially during rush hour and when the restaurants are busy.

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » March 16th, 2015, 6:41 am

The City really ought to trade Greco something (idk what) to force them to connect the grid through this site. These plans are obviously pretty preliminary but the park kinda looks like an afterthought...why is the ramp on that side of the parcel? Put it closer to the building and connect Washington to 3rd Street. We've passed up multiple opportunities around here (and in Dinkytown) to reconnect the grid, which I'm pretty sure is supposed to be an official-ish policy of the City. That whole stretch of Washington is a speedway.
I think a pedestrian/bike passage is sufficient for this block. It's only ~80' longer (or 12%) than a typical 660' city block (outside of downtown), so it isn't really among the worst of North Loop's superblocks. If we want more through streets put in (allowing motorized traffic), we should focus our energy on 8th Avenue N. I still have yet to get off my ass and email Jacob Frey about that one, which is actually mentioned in the North Loop Small Area Plan (but is nowhere on Public Works' radar). 8th Ave N absolutely must be connected between 5th Street and 3rd Street. This is super critical as the Salvation Army property changes hands in the coming year or two, as the City will have to acquire a chunk of that property to put the street through. The other superblock that ought to be broken up is the one between 1st St and 2nd St (Riverstation Condo complex), but I'm quite sure that will never happen. For sure there should be a public easement for pedestrian movement along "6th Avenue" between Washington and 1st St - right now that's all private space.

Map:

North Loop Connect by twincitizen, on Flickr

min-chi-cbus
Capella Tower

Postby min-chi-cbus » March 16th, 2015, 8:51 am

The sun moves, plus you are going to get a giant park, feet away!
Technically, the Earth moves around the sun... :geek:

MSPtoMKE
Rice Park

Postby MSPtoMKE » March 16th, 2015, 9:30 am

And the sun moves around the Milky Way galaxy, and the galaxy moves around the Local Group of galaxies... ;)
My flickr photos.

FISHMANPET
IDS Center

Postby FISHMANPET » March 16th, 2015, 9:34 am

It all depends on your, like, frame of reference, man :geek:

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » March 16th, 2015, 9:50 am

min-chi-cbus
Capella Tower

Postby min-chi-cbus » March 16th, 2015, 12:37 pm

Hahaha! Yes!!!

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » March 16th, 2015, 2:18 pm

Just reposting what I said on the previous page, since y'all immediately veered off-topic:
I think a pedestrian/bike passage is sufficient for this block. It's only ~80' longer (or 12%) than a typical 660' city block (outside of downtown), so it isn't really among the worst of North Loop's superblocks. If we want more through streets put in (allowing motorized traffic), we should focus our energy on 8th Avenue N. I still have yet to get off my ass and email Jacob Frey about that one, which is actually mentioned in the North Loop Small Area Plan (but is nowhere on Public Works' radar). 8th Ave N absolutely must be connected between 5th Street and 3rd Street. This is super critical as the Salvation Army property changes hands in the coming year or two, as the City will have to acquire a chunk of that property to put the street through. The other superblock that ought to be broken up is the one between 1st St and 2nd St (Riverstation Condo complex), but I'm quite sure that will never happen. For sure there should be a public easement for pedestrian movement along "6th Avenue" between Washington and 1st St - right now that's all private space.

Map:

North Loop Connect by twincitizen, on Flickr

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » March 16th, 2015, 3:11 pm

There's a suggestion that the pedestrian paths through the new park could approximately align with the alley between SoHo and Tower Lofts, which could then be extended as a pedestrian path through to 2nd Street.

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » March 16th, 2015, 3:16 pm

It'd be amazing to extend N 8th Ave. I feel like it would boost some development as well as be a new opportunity for green roads in North loop.

nickmgray
Union Depot

Postby nickmgray » March 17th, 2015, 7:17 am

Personally, I think it's amazing how the city would even consider the construction of a stand alone parking structure when they limit the number of parking sports that developer can include in their buildings. Why have rules in place if there's such a massive loophole. Isn't the point of limited parking space construction to change the way people like the the core of the city?

To me, allowing a new stand alone parking ramp go up is a slap in the face to any developer who's had their project scrutinized for wanting extra parking.