Twin Cities' National and Global Image

Introductions - Urban Issues - Miscellaneous News, Topics, Interests
Chef
Landmark Center

Re: Twin Cities' National and Global Image

Postby Chef » March 23rd, 2015, 2:25 pm

I don't know. I spent two years working in Loretto. Most of my coworkers were from Buffalo, Montrose and Delano. The amount of racist comments I heard out there was off the charts.

xandrex
Wells Fargo Center

Postby xandrex » March 23rd, 2015, 2:32 pm

^Yeah, I don't know that I buy that our GOP is more conservative than other states. I mean, they were the Independent-Republican Party until 1995! They've certainly moved rightward fairly quickly, though.

But the thing is, Michelle Bachmann and her ilk represent(ed) areas of the metro that are traditionally socially and economically conservative. But we have plenty of fiscally conservative, socially liberal places (or so it seems) out in the suburbs. I know more than once I've seen Golden Valley listed as part of an LGBT exclave.

Edina, Golden Valley, SLP, Maplewood, Hopkins, EP, Eagan, and many others have domestic partner registries before before gay marriage became legal. Hell, a few suburban GOP legislators even voted for gay marriage.

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » March 23rd, 2015, 3:54 pm

NSFW-ish
Definitely R rated.
http://huff.to/1LPAAPU
*but I loled.

min-chi-cbus
Capella Tower

Postby min-chi-cbus » March 23rd, 2015, 9:45 pm

I don't know. I spent two years working in Loretto. Most of my coworkers were from Buffalo, Montrose and Delano. The amount of racist comments I heard out there was off the charts.
One big difference: NY is far more diverse than MN. Until people integrate they'll continue to speculate.

Suburban Outcast
Landmark Center

Postby Suburban Outcast » March 23rd, 2015, 10:17 pm

When I attended MNSU my freshman year, some guy from Delano thought Little Canada was "so ghetto" when I told him where I was from. I started laughing because the suburb is more banal than "ghetto" by any means. I don't live in the most attractive neighborhood, but it still is pretty mellow. I definitely think there is a big social/cultural divide between exurbs/outer burbs versus the inner suburbs/central cities, especially on perceptions. It definitely leads to a conflict in our national and global image, as many exurbanites treat Minneapolis like it's a rundown city while others may view it as a urban hotspot.

MinnMonkey
Landmark Center

Postby MinnMonkey » March 24th, 2015, 12:25 pm

I grew up in Buffalo, and to this day I still hear people talking about how Lake and Hennepin is the most dangerous part of the city (therefor it must also be the most dangerous part of the state since it is in scary Minneapolis). :roll:

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » March 24th, 2015, 1:57 pm

Suburban/exurban/outstate folks watching the local news:

Reaction to a story about violent crime in Mpls/StP: "The city is a crime-ridden cesspool"

Reaction to a story about violent crime in their burb or town: "That kind of thing never happens around here"

RailBaronYarr
Capella Tower

Postby RailBaronYarr » March 24th, 2015, 2:25 pm

My typical reminder that murder rates in cities are roughly equivalent to car death rates in the suburbs (and actually lower than many outstate areas). Both are relatively low, but most people focus on violent crime as the thing to escape while vehicle deaths are just a fact of life.

talindsay
Wells Fargo Center

Postby talindsay » March 24th, 2015, 3:48 pm

Given, too, that most city homicides are targeted, for specific reasons and specific populations that don't include the people claiming the city is "crime-ridden", while vehicle deaths strike pretty broadly across the population, there are good reasons to be more concerned about the latter.

min-chi-cbus
Capella Tower

Postby min-chi-cbus » March 25th, 2015, 7:52 am

I grew up in Buffalo, and to this day I still hear people talking about how Lake and Hennepin is the most dangerous part of the city (therefor it must also be the most dangerous part of the state since it is in scary Minneapolis). :roll:
I notice that now that I don't live in the TC's currently (am in Cleveland). In Cleveland any neighborhood with black people isn't NECESSARILY ghetto, since it's much more common here to run into black people (about 20% of the METRO population). But you can certainly guess how your average middle-class white steel plant worker feels about diversity and inclusion.... :shock:

I know that was still true in MSP when I left 4 years ago, I didn't know it's still true today. We have a long way to go, huh?!

mamundsen
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mamundsen » March 25th, 2015, 10:08 am

Is this the thread where we were talking about Midwest vs North? In the MN United FC announcement they opened with a comment about not being in the Midwest, but being in the North! And they checked with the panel for confirmation... maybe the push is actually happening.

FISHMANPET
IDS Center

Postby FISHMANPET » March 25th, 2015, 10:45 am

So last night Betsy Hodges spoke at a little party Buzzfeed through because they've occupied 6000 square feet in NE. A friend of mine was there, apparently the speech was in the form of 13 reasons to welcome Buzzfeed to Minneapolis.

It's an interesting contrast to the doom and gloom of the Target layoffs and a supposed dearth of talent. Buzzfeed can open an office anywhere, they just have to go where the good employees are. And they've chosen Minneapolis.

Didier
Capella Tower

Postby Didier » March 25th, 2015, 11:04 am

To be sure, Buzzfeed didn't pick Minneapolis randomly. It acquired a local company first.

http://www.bizjournals.com/twincities/b ... ffice.html

Didier
Capella Tower

Postby Didier » March 25th, 2015, 11:11 am

Is this the thread where we were talking about Midwest vs North? In the MN United FC announcement they opened with a comment about not being in the Midwest, but being in the North! And they checked with the panel for confirmation... maybe the push is actually happening.
That's why I think Minnesota United really resonates. Even though the games are in Blaine, the team already aligns itself closely with a young, urban population. A big part of that, I think, is because the team's president fits that demographic.

Nick
Capella Tower

Postby Nick » March 29th, 2015, 8:11 pm

One thing I've found about Minneapolis/Twin Cities/Minnesota is that saying "Minnesotan" rolls off the tongue a lot better than any other possible option. You even get the "sootan" in there for a little accent if you know what you're doing. "Minneapolitan" sounds silly and I don't like saying it out loud.
Nick Magrino
[email protected]

FISHMANPET
IDS Center

Postby FISHMANPET » March 29th, 2015, 9:28 pm

Minneapolitan sounds like an ice cream.

Nick
Capella Tower

Postby Nick » March 29th, 2015, 9:37 pm

It does sound like ice cream
Nick Magrino
[email protected]

nBode
Union Depot

Postby nBode » March 29th, 2015, 11:14 pm

Can anyone confirm if any of our local ice cream parlors sell it?

talindsay
Wells Fargo Center

Postby talindsay » March 30th, 2015, 8:36 am

And who doesn't like ice cream? Obviously Minneapolitan is a win.

It could be three flavors: plain, lingonberry, and lutefisk.

Snelbian
Rice Park

Postby Snelbian » March 30th, 2015, 8:57 am

It should at least represent more of our local diversity. Fish sauce, lingonberry, and goat?