Capella Tower - 225 South 6th St

Downtown - North Loop - Mill District - Elliot Park - Loring Park
Unity77
Landmark Center

Capella Tower - 225 South 6th St

Postby Unity77 » October 16th, 2012, 11:10 pm

I noticed they changed their permanent lighting display to a rotating scheme. I'm not a huge fan. What does everyone else think?

reeckman
Metrodome

Re: Capella Tower & LaSalle Plaza

Postby reeckman » October 16th, 2012, 11:27 pm

Capella looks cool in color. Can't wait to see when it's finished.

PhilmerPhil

Postby PhilmerPhil » October 16th, 2012, 11:56 pm

I think the skyline might give me a seizure in the very near future.

min-chi-cbus
Capella Tower

Postby min-chi-cbus » October 17th, 2012, 7:43 am

I think the skyline might give me a seizure in the very near future.
That gave me an instant Simpsons flashback: Simpson family in Tokyo watching the robots on TV (wish I was saavy enough to inset a clip or still shot of that scene here on urbanmsp)!

PhilmerPhil

Postby PhilmerPhil » October 17th, 2012, 8:15 am

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » October 17th, 2012, 9:45 am

I don't mind Capella having color to change through, but I don't want the buildings to be a disco either. I don't think that La Salle or Wells Fargo should play with colors being it always looks strange on the MN Dolomite exteriors.

min-chi-cbus
Capella Tower

Postby min-chi-cbus » October 17th, 2012, 11:25 am

Beautiful PhilmerPhil!!!

mplsfinchhd
Block E

Postby mplsfinchhd » October 17th, 2012, 7:56 pm

Capella and LaSalle are both testing new LED lighting which is great! I'm excited to see the new lighting and other colors used. It's an upgrade and is definitely nice to see. The skyline is one of my main hobbies.

Lancestar2

Postby Lancestar2 » October 17th, 2012, 7:59 pm

did this all take place last night? ... As I turn around to look at Capella the lights are dim at the top :( Guess I missed it.

Tyler
Foshay Tower

Postby Tyler » October 17th, 2012, 8:37 pm

No. They're messing with it right now. But they have the old lights on too so it's not the same. I do hope once this is complete they just stick to single color each night.
Towns!

John
Capella Tower

Postby John » October 17th, 2012, 8:54 pm

If some of you are old enough to remember like myself, there was a time ( in the not so distant past ) when Minneapolis had virtually NO skyline and NO buildings lit up . And our skyline was as boring as our city's famed invention of Bisquick. So to all to the Debbie Downer parodists on this thread: find some joy in life and let the light show begin!!!

sushisimo
Landmark Center

Postby sushisimo » October 17th, 2012, 9:06 pm

I'd rather go back to the revolving restaurant trend.

Lancestar2

Postby Lancestar2 » October 17th, 2012, 9:17 pm

No. They're messing with it right now. But they have the old lights on too so it's not the same. I do hope once this is complete they just stick to single color each night.
oh ok now I can see it a bit better... I'm down by loring and can only see just a bit as it looks like the East side of the tower has the best viewpoint of the experimental lights. I do like the new color but I really don't know what to say if it is a constantly changing color thing in one night like the IDS or Target Plaza If buildings could talk I think they all would be shouting "Look at me look at meeeeee!" Is this a growing trend of flashing lights for decoration (not the talking about the height warning lights) or is it all of Target Plaza's fault for starting a cool trend that is quickly becoming a over usage issue.

Oh and if we thought the birds had issues flying at night before... :lol:

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » October 18th, 2012, 8:22 am

If some of you are old enough to remember like myself, there was a time ( in the not so distant past ) when Minneapolis had virtually NO skyline and NO buildings lit up . And our skyline was as boring as our city's famed invention of Bisquick. So to all to the Debbie Downer parodists on this thread: find some joy in life and let the light show begin!!!
Just as boring and unlit was bad, overlit and over the top is the other bad. All of our buildings coordinated SO well, and now they are all going to be doing their own thing and, who knows if it is going to look good.

Am I still the only one concerned that colored LEDs are NOT going to look good on La Salle plaza? They had green lights on a while back, and it turned like baby poop green because of the gold stone on the building...

min-chi-cbus
Capella Tower

Postby min-chi-cbus » October 18th, 2012, 10:34 am

Good news is that if they don't look good they are LEDs and can change to any color (including back to white or yellow) if necessary (or just off completely).

mplsfinchhd
Block E

Postby mplsfinchhd » October 18th, 2012, 10:45 am

I'm with you on that!! I'm all for the update in lighting and colors used. It makes it more attractive at night and unique.

5th Ave Guy
Landmark Center

Postby 5th Ave Guy » October 18th, 2012, 12:01 pm

It'd be cool if they all coordinated colors around holidays, major sporting events, etc. like other cities do (Chicago, etc). That always looks cool.

reeckman
Metrodome

Postby reeckman » October 18th, 2012, 1:13 pm

It's too soon to judge the LED lighting. The IDS LEDs are usually white. Just because they CAN make a tie-dyed strobing skyline doesn't mean they are going to. However, I already can't wait for Pride--this skyline is going to turn into a rainbow. So awesome! Saloon block party with LaSalle all lit up in color? Sh*t's gonna blink that weekend!

Lancestar2

Postby Lancestar2 » October 19th, 2012, 9:27 am

It's too soon to judge the LED lighting. The IDS LEDs are usually white. Just because they CAN make a tie-dyed strobing skyline doesn't mean they are going to. However, I already can't wait for Pride--this skyline is going to turn into a rainbow. So awesome! Saloon block party with LaSalle all lit up in color? Sh*t's gonna blink that weekend!
LOL right as I finished reading your 2nd sentence I thought of that! hahah next pride could potentially be a way to "go nuts" with strobing lights and rotating colors like mad! Also im hoping that Christmas season will bring out tons of green and red lights! really could become an awesome display. I wonder how realistic it would be to have scary halloween faces show up on the Target Plaza screen! that would be AWESOME! (geeze I'm like a kid in a candy store now) It would be really funny to look outside and see a 100 ft big zombie face from the movie exorcist looking back! :lol:

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » October 19th, 2012, 2:45 pm

LOL right as I finished reading your 2nd sentence I thought of that! hahah next pride could potentially be a way to "go nuts" with strobing lights and rotating colors like mad! Also im hoping that Christmas season will bring out tons of green and red lights! really could become an awesome display. I wonder how realistic it would be to have scary halloween faces show up on the Target Plaza screen! that would be AWESOME! (geeze I'm like a kid in a candy store now) It would be really funny to look outside and see a 100 ft big zombie face from the movie exorcist looking back! :lol:
I'd rather festive 'holiday' and winter themes than red and green. especially since you argue for pride lights (eye roll, tackiest color scheme in existance), expecting everyone is going to be tolerant of all walks of life/religions. The skyline has to speak for the whole city let's not get too crazy specific. I like the fun bright vibrant colors, and that target hires famous artists to create visual art, and that IDS supports local teams and such, but those are matters of city and state pride, not specific cultural groups.