City Club Apartments - 1000 Marquette Ave (Handicraft Building)

Downtown - North Loop - Mill District - Elliot Park - Loring Park
twincitizen

Re: 10th & Marquette Development

Postby twincitizen » April 23rd, 2015, 1:00 pm

Still want them to remove the town homes. They just don't fit here
Ditto. Walkout units on the busy Marquette transit corridor are stupid. Also the inverse statement - If there were ever a place for small retail stalls, it's here. Small scale retail has been eradicated from Nicollet Mall. This is one of the only Mall-proximate places it still exists (not including skyways of course).

I now support the project but demand more ground floor retail. Personally I don't mind too much that they're wiping out the physical structure itself, but I really insist that it be replaced by the same use. As you can see in the report, the structure along Marquette is not historic and will not require HPC review. The City originally designated it along with the Handicraft Building but it was overruled in court at some point (assuming the owner challenged that protection). Arguing to save that building won't get us anywhere.

It appears just five (5!!) "maisonette" units are proposed along Marquette. I would consider it a win if we could get the developer to convert just the corner space to retail.

We probably need to get the email machine going on this one, folks. Send your thoughts to the planner ([email protected]), and copy CMs Lisa Bender and Lisa Goodman, along with your CM too.

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » April 23rd, 2015, 1:04 pm

I think even if they just ditched the one townhouse on the corner, the others would be fine. Also the end elevation facing 11th Street is a dog.

But otherwise, much improved.

xandrex
Wells Fargo Center

Postby xandrex » April 23rd, 2015, 1:32 pm

Somehow this looks even busier than the original rendering.

I definitely like it more, but I can't stand the walk-out units. Go to Third North and walk along the sidewalk - even on that quiet, low-traffic street, most blinds are completely drawn. They're pretty lifeless. It's going to be even more lifeless on one of our busiest transit corridors.

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » April 23rd, 2015, 2:03 pm

What if they were like some type of live/work unit? I think the street level looks amazing now, actually.

Silophant

Postby Silophant » April 23rd, 2015, 2:18 pm

That would be cool. I wish they had included a floor plan for the mezzanine level. Either way, though, the corner unit at least should be retail.
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » April 23rd, 2015, 2:24 pm

Looking at those images, it's not even 100% clear that you can actually "walk out" from those little patios. They appear to be fully enclosed by railing.

Not sure exactly who that would appeal to... I want to live on Marquette, and be able to step out onto a little private patio, but I don't want to actually be able to access the street from it. If true, that means the real "primary" entrance to these units is via the corridor behind them.

helsinki
Landmark Center

Postby helsinki » April 23rd, 2015, 2:27 pm

[...] I can't stand the walk-out units. Go to Third North and walk along the sidewalk - even on that quiet, low-traffic street, most blinds are completely drawn. They're pretty lifeless. It's going to be even more lifeless on one of our busiest transit corridors.
Couldn't agree more. Another example is the Sexton: the blinds and curtains of every single unit are shut tight. And rightly so: who wants random strangers watching you eat breakfast? This sort of inattention to the way human beings actually behave is maddening.

HuskyGrad
Union Depot

Postby HuskyGrad » April 23rd, 2015, 2:30 pm

Looking at those images, it's not even 100% clear that you can actually "walk out" from those little patios. They appear to be fully enclosed by railing.

Not sure exactly who that would appeal to... I want to live on Marquette, and be able to step out onto a little private patio, but I don't want to actually be able to access the street from it. If true, that means the real "primary" entrance to these units is via the corridor behind them.
Sheet COW-A101 shows them having a gate.

John
Capella Tower

Postby John » April 23rd, 2015, 5:48 pm

The latest version of this proposal looks much much better. I would even go further with the De Stijl influence of the façade and block in areas with bold primary colors! I am happy to see a downtown housing project finally being marketed towards the working middle class.

Daboink
Metrodome

Postby Daboink » June 20th, 2015, 8:37 pm

A little piece to temper enthusiasm for the inevitable. Sad to see the loss space for locally owned small businesses anywhere, especially downtown, but the North Loop will gain some additional flavor from at least one relocation.
http://www.startribune.com/time-is-up-f ... 308727011/

seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Postby seanrichardryan » June 20th, 2015, 8:46 pm

o\Oh, but we'll get a 'canyon effect'!

h/hate/h
Q. What, what? A. In da butt.

Daboink
Metrodome

Postby Daboink » June 20th, 2015, 9:05 pm

h/hate/h
Forgive me for not reading back through the thread to find your posts to confirm your views so I may be off base, but I'm glad to see I'm not the only one who feels like that's not always the most important thing when it comes at the expense of neighborhood vibrancy.

mulad

Postby mulad » June 20th, 2015, 9:57 pm

I'm pretty frustrated by this development. The Handicraft Guild Building may have had the highest density of storefronts in all of downtown, a good example of what retail used to look like all around downtown before urban renewal and the desire for moar parking caused so many smaller buildings to demolished, and before everything got sucked up into the skyways.

min-chi-cbus
Capella Tower

Postby min-chi-cbus » June 20th, 2015, 10:38 pm

h/hate/h
Forgive me for not reading back through the thread to find your posts to confirm your views so I may be off base, but I'm glad to see I'm not the only one who feels like that's not always the most important thing when it comes at the expense of neighborhood vibrancy.
Hold on....."vibrancy"? I TOTALLY agree that retail like this is vital, VITAL to downtown's future health, but this immediate area is far from vibrant. Maybe it once was, but not now, and this building won't do anything to make it less vibrant (probably more vibrant, despite the loss of street-level retail).

We're keeping Handicraft Guild, losing a couple of beautiful street-level retailers, and gaining an 18-story tower with almost 300 units and X 1.5-2.0 people. Call it a win-tie, but it's a net-win in somebody's opinion, and that's the name of the game for redevelopment.

grrdanko
Landmark Center

Postby grrdanko » June 21st, 2015, 11:11 am

I'm pretty frustrated by this development. The Handicraft Guild Building may have had the highest density of storefronts in all of downtown, a good example of what retail used to look like all around downtown before urban renewal and the desire for moar parking caused so many smaller buildings to demolished, and before everything got sucked up into the skyways.

While I am sympathetic of the business owners that have to move there are many little pockets of storefronts that have been vacant for a long time. There is Harmon Pl, 13th, 11th and Lasalle, Hennepin Ave, lots on 1st Ave, 4th St, all of Elliot Park, and a bunch of single vacant spaces scattered all over downtown. It isn't like all the small storefronts are full. This will add quite a few residents to the area that will drive the viability of downtown retail.

The more residents we can add the more we will get the type of retail and restaurants and vibrancy we want. I think this is a very positive development.

Daboink
Metrodome

Postby Daboink » June 21st, 2015, 12:18 pm

h/hate/h
Hold on....."vibrancy"? I TOTALLY agree that retail like this is vital, VITAL to downtown's future health, but this immediate area is far from vibrant. Maybe it once was, but not now, and this building won't do anything to make it less vibrant (probably more vibrant, despite the loss of street-level retail).

We're keeping Handicraft Guild, losing a couple of beautiful street-level retailers, and gaining an 18-story tower with almost 300 units and X 1.5-2.0 people. Call it a win-tie, but it's a net-win in somebody's opinion, and that's the name of the game for redevelopment.
I'm with you on on this specific area not really being a prime example of downtown "vibrancy", I'm more lamenting the decades old trend of wiping out similar locations. In terms of increasing city tax base and meeting city population goals while attempting to preserve SOME historic components, I would be in the camp of this being a "net -win" in the long term. That doesn't mean I can't feel for the small businesses or lament their loss to the neighborhood.

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » June 21st, 2015, 1:53 pm

While I am sympathetic of the business owners that have to move there are many little pockets of storefronts that have been vacant for a long time. There is Harmon Pl, 13th, 11th and Lasalle, Hennepin Ave, lots on 1st Ave, 4th St, all of Elliot Park, and a bunch of single vacant spaces scattered all over downtown. It isn't like all the small storefronts are full. This will add quite a few residents to the area that will drive the viability of downtown retail.

The more residents we can add the more we will get the type of retail and restaurants and vibrancy we want. I think this is a very positive development.
I agree with you grrdanko, I'm not happy that we are losing another historic building, but the unfortunate truth is this section of Marquette is a dead zone of sort, with the main foot traffic being conventioneers and hotel guests. When I would drive or walk near this intersection there were rarely ever people on the sidewalk. Think I can count on one hand the number of time I saw people coming out of the store fronts. The saving grace is the Handicraft building itself will be save and repurposed. This development will make sure that the handicraft is better utilized than it is right now.

There are other small vacant store fronts out there that have better foot traffic that would help their business in the long run.

The more people we have living in the area the better it is for the small businesses. I would think that landlords with vacant spaces would be reaching out to try and get an establishment that already has a customer base built, that might go to the new location also. We have not ran out of small store fronts. We just have not utilized them in a responsible way. Here's to hoping that some will move to the Harmon Place neighborhood where there is a Lund's, CVS, and other stores that can help create a more vibrant retail node. Bring on the renters and new customers for the future.

Daboink
Metrodome

Postby Daboink » June 21st, 2015, 3:05 pm

We have not ran out of small store fronts. We just have not utilized them in a responsible way. Here's to hoping that some will move to the Harmon Place neighborhood where there is a Lund's, CVS, and other stores that can help create a more vibrant retail node. Bring on the renters and new customers for the future.
+++ yes.

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » June 22nd, 2015, 9:01 am

We have small store fronts. We have a shortage of affordable small store fronts. As I've said before, large-scale development management often see providing these as a necessary inconvenience rather than a component of a successful development. They'd rather hold out and have empty storefronts with a high asking lease than actually reduce the lease to get occupancy. Look how many storefronts downtown have been vacant for years or even decades, even on Nicollet Mall.

Silophant

Postby Silophant » June 22nd, 2015, 9:15 am

I wonder if it would be feasible to levy some sort of additional tax on storefronts that have sat empty for some amount of time. (1+ years?)

Probably not.
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]