Stadium LRT Station, Ped Bridge & Plaza (MSFA block)

Downtown - North Loop - Mill District - Elliot Park - Loring Park
Silophant

Re: Downtown East LRT Ped Bridge & Stadium Plaza (MSFA Block

Postby Silophant » April 24th, 2015, 7:54 am

Right. Wouldn't want to make the VIPs mingle with filthy train people.
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]

Lancestar2

Postby Lancestar2 » April 24th, 2015, 10:15 pm

So, this angle makes me ask again...

Remind me again why we can't build a skyway across 4th Street, just west of Chicago, to vertical circulation that brings people to the westbound LRT platform (and further down to the ramp)? This would basically cross from the vertical circulation seen in the new MSFA ramp above, straight towards the LRVs in front of it.

More climate control, more use (it would actually be nice for commuters heading into DTE towards skyway connected buildings), and def cheaper than $6 mil.

Bonus points if you can build it as the back of a future amenity building for the new park.

Because skyway to the MSFA ramp from the stadium is for VIPs and not for commoners.
Oh, does that mean that people wanting to go to a game will not be able to park at ABC ramps and take the skyway to the Vikings Stadium? They can't build a wide enough skyway to be able to divide it into a public and private segment? I forget where downtown but there is a skyway that is insanely wide! Being almost 3 or 4x the normal width.

mplser
US Bank Plaza

Postby mplser » April 25th, 2015, 3:36 am

^you're probably thinking of the skyway at MCTC from the main building (the "T" building) to the parking ramp.

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » April 25th, 2015, 9:00 am

So, this angle makes me ask again...

Remind me again why we can't build a skyway across 4th Street, just west of Chicago, to vertical circulation that brings people to the westbound LRT platform (and further down to the ramp)? This would basically cross from the vertical circulation seen in the new MSFA ramp above, straight towards the LRVs in front of it.

More climate control, more use (it would actually be nice for commuters heading into DTE towards skyway connected buildings), and def cheaper than $6 mil.

Bonus points if you can build it as the back of a future amenity building for the new park.

Because skyway to the MSFA ramp from the stadium is for VIPs and not for commoners.
Oh, does that mean that people wanting to go to a game will not be able to park at ABC ramps and take the skyway to the Vikings Stadium? They can't build a wide enough skyway to be able to divide it into a public and private segment? I forget where downtown but there is a skyway that is insanely wide! Being almost 3 or 4x the normal width.

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » April 25th, 2015, 9:09 am

I think the insanely wide ones you are talking about are connected to the Old Pillsbury twins. They are at least 2 to 3 times as wide as most standard skyways. The widest goes over 2nd Ave and the other goes over 3rd to connect to the Hennepin County Government Center. The other two connections are wide, but not double or triple the standard skyway.

I think if anyone were to park in the A<B or C ramps they would invest 50 cents and take the light rail to the stadium station instead of walking.

xandrex
Wells Fargo Center

Postby xandrex » April 25th, 2015, 5:02 pm

Yeah, the Pillsbury/US Bank Plaza skyway to the Canadian Pacific building is incredibly wide.

Minnehahaha
Nicollet Mall

Postby Minnehahaha » April 25th, 2015, 9:12 pm

If I remember correctly, that skyway originally had a wall partitioning off one third of its width as a private passage for First Bank employees to pass between their offices in the two buildings. So, strange as it looks today, there is a reason for its incredible width.

xandrex
Wells Fargo Center

Postby xandrex » April 25th, 2015, 9:34 pm

That would definitely explain why one set of doors is not in the direct path of the hallway in Canadian Pacific.

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » April 26th, 2015, 8:34 am

But the building was not built for First Bank, right? Wasn't Pillsbury the anchor tenant? Or was this the time when CP/One Financial was actually the First Bank bldg before they built what is now Capella Tower as their HQ?

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » April 26th, 2015, 1:00 pm

But the building was not built for First Bank, right? Wasn't Pillsbury the anchor tenant? Or was this the time when CP/One Financial was actually the First Bank bldg before they built what is now Capella Tower as their HQ?
Pillsbury had the taller tower which had the greatest square footage, and U. S. Bank had offices in the shorter tower. That was part of why there was the split between the two towers. It was named Pillsbury Center because they were the main anchor of the complex and to reduce confusion with the main First Bank tower at the time, which is now the CP/One Financial Tower.

mamundsen
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mamundsen » May 6th, 2015, 10:05 pm

This is being covered on BringMeTheNews!!! With a link to Nick's article on Streets.mn! Great to see this getting more attention. Hopefully this will get changed and a better solution will prevail.

http://bringmethenews.com/2015/05/06/cr ... s-stadium/

Archiapolis
US Bank Plaza

Postby Archiapolis » May 27th, 2015, 8:54 am

To continue my tin-foil hat conspiracy theory, this is a nice example of transparency. A pay-wall locked article where Metro Transit "makes its case." Helpful. This is sure to bring the discussion forward with the public.

http://finance-commerce.com/2015/05/met ... an-bridge/

nickmgray
Union Depot

Postby nickmgray » May 27th, 2015, 9:36 am

Has anyone looked into an underpass/tunnel option? This option would also allow for direct access to the parking garage that's built there. I'm sure it would be more expensive than the pedestrian bridge, but it wouldn't be ugly as sin.

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » May 27th, 2015, 9:53 am

So. 12 minute wait times to cross the LRT to get on a train, 12 half hours a year right as Vikings games let out. OMG.

acs
Wells Fargo Center

Postby acs » May 27th, 2015, 10:04 am

I would love to see behind the paywall because I find the claim that Pedestrians would have to wait 15 minutes to cross the tracks to the stadium absolutely ridiculous BS.

Also, looking at the new angle, the thing is not future proof at all. It would have to be completely scrapped to be able to add a center platform or to add stairs/elevators to the Chicago Ave. side so the people who use the station more than 8 times a year could benefit.

Rich
Rice Park

Postby Rich » May 27th, 2015, 11:30 am

All at once, tens of thousands of folks will pour through the largest doors on the planet and rush westward toward the tracks and beyond. Isn't it more effective for Metro Transit to argue that the bridge is a safe way to accommodate the throngs, rather than to argue that it's a time saver? Seems like arguing on behalf of safety would be a better way to sway public opinion.

mister.shoes
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mister.shoes » May 27th, 2015, 11:52 am

All at once, tens of thousands of folks...
C'mon, Rich. You know as well as I do that folks leaving takes the form of a trickle starting sometime in the 3rd quarter...
The problem with being an introvert online is that no one knows you're just hanging out and listening.

Rich
Rice Park

Postby Rich » May 27th, 2015, 12:07 pm

Ah yes. You make an excellent point. :-)

But seriously, last year there was only one game in which people left early in droves. I think more often than not, it’s going to be mass hysteria coming through those huge doors.

go4guy
Foshay Tower

Postby go4guy » May 27th, 2015, 12:31 pm

Only people who are using the light rail would use this bridge. Those going to parking ramps would follow other routes. Not to mention, there will be numerous exits out of the stadium, and not everyone coming out of the one end.

Also, why isn't there a bridge at the TCF Bank Stadium light rail stop? Seems to work just fine without one there.

FISHMANPET
IDS Center

Postby FISHMANPET » May 27th, 2015, 12:35 pm

TCF Bank Stadium has half as many trains and also not quite as many people. But mostly the half as many trains, and not having to deal with much car traffic on top of it (does 23rd get closed on game days?)