MSP Airport / Metropolitan Airports Commission

Roads - Rails - Sidewalks - Bikeways
MNdible
is great.

Re: MSP Airport

Postby MNdible » March 17th, 2015, 1:41 pm

A walkway would be theoretically possible, but it would be a long, unpleasant walk that would have to cross a bunch of traffic. I just don't see it happening.

mulad

Postby mulad » March 17th, 2015, 1:57 pm

Is this supposed to go southeast of the Post Office? It would be nice to get some sort of pedestrian access there, since they have trouble with cars lining up on busy shipping days.

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » April 29th, 2015, 3:47 pm

HAs there been any more concrete dates set for the hotel to break ground? Or are they still dotting i's and crossing t's yet. Each day the Superbowl gets closer to happening.

Didier
Capella Tower

Postby Didier » April 29th, 2015, 9:39 pm

I actually heard it was the dots on the J's that are holdin things up.

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » April 30th, 2015, 7:57 am

I see this same line of reasoning about hotels in the downtown forums... Even if they can charge thousands of bucks a night, hotels don't get developed for a week or two of special circumstance occupancy.

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » April 30th, 2015, 9:28 am

It certainly doesn't make sense to open up a hotel just for the Super Bowl, but if you were planning on opening up a hotel anyway, you'd want to make sure you're open in time for the Super Bowl.

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » April 30th, 2015, 11:06 am

I actually heard it was the dots on the J's that are holdin things up.
Damn those j for holding this up. LOL

This project has little to do with the Superbowl compared to the downtown hotels. This is a project that has been a missing link now for over 20+ years. Glad to see that it is coming closer to a reality. It has been talked about now and left to die on the vine here for some 15 years that I can remember.

With the airport expansion planned this should work well for integrating into the future expansion and the infrastructure that will need to be added and upgraded. It can all be planned and organized to great efficiency.

Didier
Capella Tower

Postby Didier » May 3rd, 2015, 10:06 pm

It certainly doesn't make sense to open up a hotel just for the Super Bowl, but if you were planning on opening up a hotel anyway, you'd want to make sure you're open in time for the Super Bowl.
It's kind of sad that this post has to be made.

Chauncey87
Nicollet Mall

Postby Chauncey87 » May 13th, 2015, 2:15 am

Apparently Delta has applied for Summer flights to Reykjavik. Not sure if the market can really withstand two airlines flying to Iceland, and Icelandair has better connectivity, so we'll see what's going on with that.
I don't think there was ever an update on this one.
U.S. airline Delta has canceled plans for scheduled flights between Keflavík International Airport and Minneapolis next summer as the company was unable to obtain service slots at the airport. In summer 2014, Delta offered daily flights between Iceland and New York.
http://icelandreview.com/news/2014/12/2 ... is-flights
I have to wonder what sort of plane Delta would have used? On a side note at work today I was able to see an Iceland Air jet at T2 for the first time in person. Granted I was over a half mile away in the cargo section of MSP. I have an eye for the jets that come into T2 and when I saw a tale I didn't recognize I asked a coworker who told me. I also noticed Air France started there seasonal non-stop over in T1. :D

Hope I see Condor at T2 soon! I also always forget Spirit airlines is over at T1 whenever I see them land or take off I ask myself how did they just Copperfield that jet! Since I do not see them over at T2 anymore :shock:

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » May 13th, 2015, 8:15 am

The yellow engine nacelles on the Icelandair jets are a giveaway. I saw it ascending last night at a 360 heading over S. Mpls.

I'm glad to see they were able to resume their seasonal service in time for the Super Bowl. :p

exiled_antipodean
Landmark Center

Postby exiled_antipodean » May 13th, 2015, 8:38 am

I have to wonder what sort of plane Delta would have used?
To flood the market with seats and drive out FI they'd use a 747. But an A319 or A320 would make it just fine. Not sure what ETOPS or overwater requirements are needed to operate efficiently to Iceland, but that might have been a factor in aircraft choice.

exiled_antipodean
Landmark Center

Postby exiled_antipodean » May 13th, 2015, 7:52 pm

MSP-KEF can be done without anything beyond ETOPS-60, since unlike east coast to KEF it is more over land.

http://www.gcmap.com/mapui?P=DEN-KEF%0D ... 389&EU=kts

nfschauer
Nicollet Mall

Postby nfschauer » May 17th, 2015, 8:55 pm

So nice seeing Air France A340's back on the tarmac.

proverfent
Block E

Postby proverfent » May 18th, 2015, 5:59 pm

Gosh, I wish I worked in the aviation industry!

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » May 27th, 2015, 1:47 pm

DL Connection moving to ATL.
http://www.bizjournals.com/twincities/n ... lanta.html
Based on the job count, 40 folks, this probably just affects DL-wide Connection planning, not Connection airlines headquartered at MSP (DL-owned Endeavor Air, and Trans-States-owned Compass Air).

min-chi-cbus
Capella Tower

Postby min-chi-cbus » May 28th, 2015, 7:04 am

It's unreal how Delta's Atlanta HQ is seemingly relying on MN jobs to boost the company -- not to mention the regional economy -- in spite of its "promise" to keep 10,000+ jobs in MN thru 2016. I wonder if they'll EVER be able to sell somebody on a promise ever again?

HiawathaGuy
Wells Fargo Center

Postby HiawathaGuy » May 28th, 2015, 1:23 pm

Heard a rumor that Southwest Airlines may be looking to buy Sun Country... I have a close friend who works at Sun Country, I'll need to inquire further.

web

Postby web » May 28th, 2015, 8:08 pm

yikes completely different types of airlines

seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Postby seanrichardryan » May 28th, 2015, 10:57 pm

no.x
Q. What, what? A. In da butt.

Mdcastle
Wells Fargo Center

Postby Mdcastle » May 29th, 2015, 6:35 am

It makes a lot of sense:

1) Southwest has been trying to expand to the Latin American market, which Sun Country services
2) Southwest has been looking for deals for good, used 737s to tide them over until the MAX 7 and MAX 8 come out so they don't have to buy current generation planes at new prices.
3) It seems Humphrey gates space is an issue.