U.S. Bank Stadium

Downtown - North Loop - Mill District - Elliot Park - Loring Park
mog
Block E

Re: Minnesota Multi Purpose Stadium

Postby mog » May 13th, 2015, 6:52 am

Would have to imagine the more expensive tickets might help that a bit. It's pretty trashy at present. I've gone to a Vikings game annually for a bit, and, notably, my last time in the Metrodome I got to be in the background (starting about 4:26) of this neat video:

I even got my first subpoena!
haha wow, so what was the fight about?

xandrex
Wells Fargo Center

Postby xandrex » May 13th, 2015, 8:27 am

Somehow I don't picture football fans at a game as a major craft beer audience.
Any less so than baseball fans?
Yes. The fans are quite different.
I suppose I just don't buy the line of logic that Twins fans are someone superior beer drinkers than Vikings fans shelling out for personal seat licenses, season tickets, etc. I mean, yeah, some people are hot messes at Vikings games, but plenty of folks like a Summit/Surly/whatever.

Plus, let's not forget Target Field's beer sponsor of choice.

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » May 13th, 2015, 9:16 am

There are a lot of people who put an insane amount of value on getting shitfaced and watching football in person. Think about it: Other than people who may have tickets for their company's clients or something, do many people here know folks with season tickets? I don't. Especially the wealthier people I can think of. Yet when I hear that someone has season tickets, I often have a double take to think they are spending four or five figures on tickets to watch football in person.

FranklinAveFixation
Metrodome

Postby FranklinAveFixation » May 13th, 2015, 10:03 am

Completely agree. The people you see at Vikings games make you embarassed to be a part of the fan base. Twins games have plenty of slobs, but they arent typically obnoxious.
Having been employed at 2 different Washington ave. bars during the Metrodome era, it is a rock-solid fact Vikings fans are much trashier and obnoxious than any other fans in town.

I also was surprised at the people I would see at every Vikes home game, would have never picked some of them out as people who would shell out the $$ for 4+ season tickets.

Rich
Rice Park

Postby Rich » May 13th, 2015, 10:35 am

Last year the VIkings sold season tickets for as little as $350. That’s not too terribly exorbitant. And they were priced as low as $279 the prior year at the dome.

Chip Whitley
Metrodome

Postby Chip Whitley » May 13th, 2015, 1:05 pm

There are a lot of people who put an insane amount of value on getting shitfaced and watching football in person. Think about it: Other than people who may have tickets for their company's clients or something, do many people here know folks with season tickets? I don't. Especially the wealthier people I can think of. Yet when I hear that someone has season tickets, I often have a double take to think they are spending four or five figures on tickets to watch football in person.
I purchased an SBL and Season Tickets for the New Stadium among with another UrbanMSP member actually. Part investment/ part fan-driven.

Nick
Capella Tower

Postby Nick » May 13th, 2015, 4:22 pm

I certainly place a lot of value on getting shitfaced and watching sports in person, for many dubious reasons. I have Gopher football season tickets, which are not cheap with the mandatory "donation," generally go to 5-10 Twins games a year, a Vikings game, and probably either a Timberwolves or Wild game once a year. It's an activity. Some middle class people spend $1,000 a year on their hair, some people fly to a vacation every three or four months, some people have two kids, it's all kind of up to the individual. I know a decent amount of people at work with either Twins or Gopher football season tickets.

(which isn't to say anything about whether or not sports as an activity should be subsidized, of course)
Nick Magrino
[email protected]

J2K
Metrodome

Postby J2K » May 14th, 2015, 12:32 pm

The Vikings website has some pictures of the zinc cladding going up on the east side. They are a bit far away so there's not much detail, but I like it!
http://www.vikings.com/media-vault/phot ... 611b2cab72

Architorture
Metrodome

Postby Architorture » May 15th, 2015, 6:42 am

This is going to look like Darth Vaders helmet until the zinc weathers. Then it will at least have more of a Death Star appearance on the east elevation.

nfschauer
Nicollet Mall

Postby nfschauer » May 15th, 2015, 9:16 am

Final North Queen truss going up today. Looks like they have the 1 last King truss, and 3 Queen truss's on the South.

mamundsen
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mamundsen » May 15th, 2015, 9:35 am

Vikings add another $14 million to their contribution.

http://www.bizjournals.com/twincities/b ... -more.html

What I don't understand is that this article says $13M of this is for 1,200 TVs. The math on that tells me these are $10,000+ TVs. Each. What?!?!?

UPDATE: I tweeted a similar question in reply to the article...

Nick Halter ‏@mspbjHalter ·

@MikeAmundsen12 @MSPBJnews @Vikings Ha! I said the same thing, but the money is not just for monitors

min-chi-cbus
Capella Tower

Postby min-chi-cbus » May 15th, 2015, 11:07 am

I think they're potentially making a big mistake by not being the first stadium (that I know of) to install TVs or some kind of electronic device on the backs of each and every seat in the stadium for tracking football scores and fantasy statistics. I hear that's one of the major draws of staying at home: being able to track your fantasy team. However, now that everybody and their grandmother has a smart phone, perhaps this isn't quite as necessary as it once seemed. Still, anything the Vikes can do to make coming to the game a unique and fun experience that is WORTH the exorbitant price they'll charge is a step in the right direction.

go4guy
Foshay Tower

Postby go4guy » May 15th, 2015, 11:13 am

I think it would be much more practical to ensure they have the best cell service possible for looking at stats on your phone. It really is annoying how bad cell service is inside these stadiums.

moda253
Nicollet Mall

Postby moda253 » May 19th, 2015, 1:54 pm

I think it would be much more practical to ensure they have the best cell service possible for looking at stats on your phone. It really is annoying how bad cell service is inside these stadiums.
Getting the dedicated bandwidth for that type of activity requires some pretty heft infrastructure. Just because we don't see the wireless traffic doesn't mean it isn't there and it's an awesome amount of data

David Greene
IDS Center

Postby David Greene » May 19th, 2015, 2:47 pm

What they REALLY should do is buy a Cray Urika and let fans crunch the data. :)

http://www.cray.com/products/analytics/urika-gd
http://www.cray.com/products/analytics/urika-xa

J2K
Metrodome

Postby J2K » May 19th, 2015, 4:52 pm

Article in the Trib about wifi at the new stadium.
http://www.startribune.com/minnesota-vi ... 304012281/

sanguinic
Metrodome

Postby sanguinic » May 19th, 2015, 8:05 pm

The money-grubbing on this project truly knows no bounds. Despite their ka-jillion dollar publicly funded budget, the Vikings are asking fans to pitch in hundreds of dollars for a tacky commemorative tile to appear, well, they're not saying. Really? (Oh, and they're not allowing the mention of any rival NFL teams, which means that the race is on to sneak one in somehow):

http://www.vikings.com/stadium/new-stad ... ign=bricks

min-chi-cbus
Capella Tower

Postby min-chi-cbus » May 19th, 2015, 8:25 pm

Can you etch in "Ziggy sucks balls"? I didn't see a restriction on that topic...

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » May 19th, 2015, 8:28 pm

David Greene
IDS Center

Postby David Greene » May 19th, 2015, 9:00 pm

Grant Browner Stenerud Doleman McDaniel
Brown Tarkenton Bryant
Krause McElhenny Blair Culpepper Sharockman Stringer