Transit Crime

Roads - Rails - Sidewalks - Bikeways
Lancestar2

Re: Transit Crime

Postby Lancestar2 » October 20th, 2012, 5:33 pm

Did anyone in MSP see the Cleveland RTA driver who beat the hell out of a WOMAN!

http://www.cleveland.com/metro/index.ss ... _to_b.html

From every account I heard though, she started everything and had it coming (supposedly). Throwing hot coffee in a big dude's face after jumping on his bus with no intent on paying your fare may result in something similar!

yes, I saw a video about it on the TYT youtube channel. The bus driver really didn't conduct himself professionally by insulting her, and by hitting her he later did loose his job. I hate to see a bus driver loose his job when a rider is acting like a awful human being but if he can't handle himself professionally he should really try another job.

Also regarding the LRT video I guess at 2 AM you can't expect heavy police force walking around, however I would think they would have BETTER safety policies. For example a person in a control room watching the video's of the cameras on the train. Also with the technology that exists in montering people movement I would assume they have the ability to auto alert when heavy movement on a train is happening to better know when a fight it taken place.

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » October 20th, 2012, 5:55 pm

I really want to be a bus driver. :cry:
Here ya go!

http://agency.governmentjobs.com/metroc ... xPacket%3E

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » October 20th, 2012, 5:59 pm

With regards to LRT crime in Minneapolis, I wish the cops would start enforcing the "Paid Fare Zone" rule on the platforms.

Honestly the cops shouldn't even have to be riding trains, when people are not even supposed to be on the platform without a paid fare. If you are standing still on the platform (i.e. not walking to or from a ticket machine or Go-To validator) and you don't have a valid fare - give 'em a ticket, NO REMORSE :twisted:

UptownSport
Target Field

Postby UptownSport » October 21st, 2012, 2:16 pm

It's easier when you have people captive to conduct a search, you could think of the train as a 'cordon'.

The thing with video monitors is people won't watch them- Prisons are heavily monitored with CCTV and all they really do is tell you what happened. And, of course, it's too late for your teeth.

There's been many news stories about rowdiness at barclose DT. Police say they've stepped up patrols, so they know about it. Best solution would be to let bars stay open even later, so it's a trickle out.

LRV Op Dude
Union Depot

Postby LRV Op Dude » March 22nd, 2013, 1:56 pm

Metro Transit boosting security infrastructure

One of the frustrating things about operating LRV is I have no clue what is going on behind me in the other trains. This will give RCC the ability to see problems in the other LRVs while I concentrate on operating the train.
Blog: Old-Twin Cities Transit New-Twin Cities Transit

You Tube: Old, New

AKA: Bus Driver Dude

UptownSport
Target Field

Postby UptownSport » March 22nd, 2013, 5:44 pm

I assumed this was already in place ...

How wrong I am.

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » November 22nd, 2013, 10:19 am

This isn't transit crime, but there's a new story from the Strib about car break-ins, and the implication is that the crime is facilitated in some way by the Blue Line. http://www.startribune.com/local/minnea ... 05661.html
I got the crime alert in my email yesterday- since deleted, so I can't check, but I do not recall any mention of light rail.

The implication is that these properties are being targeted because of proximity to transit. Rather, it looks like the MO is to target complexes with underground access-controlled garages in otherwise-quiet neighborhoods. This just happens to be the area of South Mpls east of 35W that fits the bill.

Granted, there have been plenty of issues with transit crime- people stealing phones at stations, or the occasional late-night mugging. But these crimes, per the article, all happened overnight on weeknights. When the frequency is down to once an hour and ends around 2 AM.

It just seems ridiculous to think that a criminal would get away from their crime scene, presumably carrying stolen goods, photographed and date stamped at stations and on transit vehicles. No, they'd probably get away with a car. But it's articles like this that reinforce the perception that so many folks, especially suburbanites who comment on articles, seem to have - that transit brings crime.

mulad

Postby mulad » November 22nd, 2013, 10:26 am

I think this type of thing has happened twice at my apartment complex over the last ~6 years, and I'm over in St. Paul.

VAStationDude
US Bank Plaza

Postby VAStationDude » November 22nd, 2013, 10:34 am

I've had stuff stolen from basement storage areas. I imagine a lot of people in these buildings leave their vehicles unlocked.

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » November 22nd, 2013, 10:51 am

Hey look! Another alert from the 3rd Precinct. This time the cause is proximity to SUVs.
Since November 1st, there have been 42 home and garage burglaries in the Sector 2 neighborhoods of the 3rd Precinct. This includes the neighborhoods of Bancroft, Bryant, Corcoran, Central, Powderhorn Park and Standish. Twenty-five of the burglaries were home burglaries. Of these, eight were attempted burglaries, where the suspect(s) did not gain entry. Nine of the home burglaries were by either forcing a door or breaking a window. Ten of the garage burglaries were also by either forcing a door or breaking a window. There is no pattern to the time of day for the burglaries.

Suspect information is varied. Witnesses have seen one male to three males involved. Witnesses have also seen both a light colored (white, gray, or tan) Explorer or a black SUV being used by suspect(s).

PhilmerPhil

Postby PhilmerPhil » November 22nd, 2013, 10:54 am

Three suspects, but only two vehicles described? I bet the third one took transit!!!

orangevening
Nicollet Mall

Postby orangevening » November 23rd, 2013, 9:03 am

This isn't transit crime, but there's a new story from the Strib about car break-ins, and the implication is that the crime is facilitated in some way by the Blue Line. http://www.startribune.com/local/minnea ... 05661.html
I got the crime alert in my email yesterday- since deleted, so I can't check, but I do not recall any mention of light rail.

The implication is that these properties are being targeted because of proximity to transit. Rather, it looks like the MO is to target complexes with underground access-controlled garages in otherwise-quiet neighborhoods. This just happens to be the area of South Mpls east of 35W that fits the bill.

Granted, there have been plenty of issues wittransitcrime- people stealing phones at stations, or the occasional late-night mugging. But these crimes, per the article, all happened overnight on weeknights. When the frequency is down to once an hour and ends around 2 AM.

It just seems ridiculous to think that a criminal would get away from their crime scene, presumably carrying stolen goods, photographed and date stamped at stations and on transit vehicles. Nothey'dprobably get away with a car. But it's articles like this that reinforce the perception that so manyfolks, especially suburbanites who comment on articles, seem to have - that transit brings crime.
Exactly. "Light Rail" is mentioned in the title, under the image then not at ALL in the article itself. Thanks STrib for helping the. perception that transit and the city are crime infested. Usually they are pro-rail (it helps that they are right by a station)though)

UptownSport
Target Field

Postby UptownSport » November 23rd, 2013, 2:32 pm

Saw the article this AM, at first I got the same impression that there was a a needless link to Hiawatha line, but the shear number of break ins (and the seriousness- The story reported thief(s) first broke into the buildings) did justify informing the public that this was occurring in vicinity of stations.

orangevening
Nicollet Mall

Postby orangevening » November 23rd, 2013, 11:45 pm

I really want to be a bus driver. :cry:

http://m.startribune.com/local/?id=233173721&c=y

Mdcastle
Wells Fargo Center

Postby Mdcastle » November 24th, 2013, 12:35 am

It just seems ridiculous to think that a criminal would get away from their crime scene, presumably carrying stolen goods, photographed and date stamped at stations and on transit vehicles. No, they'd probably get away with a car. But it's articles like this that reinforce the perception that so many folks, especially suburbanites who comment on articles, seem to have - that transit brings crime.
What's being stolen? The fact that these are car break-ins make me think we're talking iPhones, wallets, etc, not plasma TVs. If that were the case they could easily shove them in their jacket pocket and hop on a train without arousing suspicion. I know now they're looking at suspect cars, but I don't see the idea that criminals could ride light rail is so farfetched.

And yes, although I support light rail my father was extremely opposed to it because, in his words "It'll bring all the riffraff from Minneapolis into town"). So the perception is out there, accurate or not. It's also interesting what happened to crime statistics when the Lowry bridge was closed.

VAStationDude
US Bank Plaza

Postby VAStationDude » November 24th, 2013, 8:46 am

Remember these crimes happened overnight when trains are running every hour or, after 3am, not at all. I really doubt a criminal with a loaded backpack and huge adrenaline rush would use the train as a get away vehicle. The Strib is using the light rail as click bait for idiots who think rail brings crime.

RailBaronYarr
Capella Tower

Postby RailBaronYarr » November 24th, 2013, 10:01 am

I remember reading a few articles on transit station crime.. seems pertinent:

http://www.theatlanticcities.com/commut ... inal/4752/
http://www.theatlanticcities.com/commut ... rime/1195/
http://www.theatlanticcities.com/commut ... crime/916/

I think a more local study could be done (has it?) regarding crime rates of various types within a 3-5 block radius (~half mile) of LRT stations in Mpls. I think the likelihood of someone using transit to getaway is somewhere between mattaudio and MNdible's perspective. Small items taken from a vehicle with no witnesses make hopping on a train an easy escape.... but the same could be said for any mode of getaway - foot, bus, bike, car, or train, so there's no reason to believe they make it any less likely for a criminal to be caught. Larger items and house break-ins, transit frequency, and the surveillance component deter that type of theft.

I'll also point out that we can't just kowtow to people's opinions formed through their own perceptions (which often have massive bias). Going to throw out the hyperbole here, but people have perceived all sorts of horrible things about other groups of people, technologies, etc over time. The task is to change the perception through data and experience. My dad also says the same stuff to me, and when I pointed out that many neighborhoods in S Minneapolis crime rates are not appreciably higher (to lower in some cases) than national averages or those in Lakeville, he spouted "Statistics lie and liars use statistics!" Ok.

UptownSport
Target Field

Postby UptownSport » November 24th, 2013, 3:39 pm

They probably are using the train to get away, and I'm sure some 'Riff-Raff' from Minneapolis do use pubic transit to rob homes in Small Town, MN.

So what?
Are one or two or even dozens of incidents even a 'mentionable' in light of the awesome operations of the Hiawatha line?

HuskyGrad
Union Depot

Postby HuskyGrad » December 2nd, 2013, 9:45 am

The suspect was arrested while burglarizing the garage at Oaks Hiawatha Station behind the Walgreens on Hiawatha. Have not heard whether he was using the light rail or not, but his residence is on the west side of Hiawatha near Franklin Station.

fehler
Rice Park

Postby fehler » December 2nd, 2013, 11:46 am

Do you have a release on that? I have a friend who's son is afraid to go into their apartment garage since their building was hit, and maybe seeing it will help them feel better.