Linden Cornerer III: With a Vengance - 43rd & Upton

Calhoun-Isles, Cedar-Riverside, Longfellow, Nokomis, Phillips, Powderhorn, and Southwest
twincitizen

Linden Cornerer III: With a Vengance - 43rd & Upton

Postby twincitizen » May 20th, 2015, 9:56 am

New property owner, new developer this time around: http://www.southwestjournal.com/news/de ... 43rd-upton

4 stories, 29 units, 6,000 square feet of ground floor commercial.
Of note, this proposal only includes the former Famous Dave's parcel: http://gis.hennepin.us/property/map/def ... 2824420032
Previous proposals included one or more additional parcels for a larger overall footprint. Presumably, this leaves options open for a future separate development at 4250 Upton and the surface parking lot to the north.
Preliminary plans: http://lindenhills.org/wp-content/uploa ... 11x171.pdf
If all goes well, it will break ground early 2016.

Neighborhood already hates it, so this should be fun/predictable to watch.

See our older thread for the 2nd iteration, Linden Crossing, which was approved - twice - but never built.
The first iteration, which was 5-stories and a much larger overall site, crashed and burned at the hands of the neighborhood back in summer 2012.

FISHMANPET
IDS Center

Re: Linden Cornerer III: With a Vengance - 43rd & Upton

Postby FISHMANPET » May 20th, 2015, 10:14 am

Time is a flat circle, the more things change the more they stay the same, etc etc.

aeisenberg
Landmark Center

Postby aeisenberg » May 20th, 2015, 12:36 pm

New property owner, new developer this time around: http://www.southwestjournal.com/news/de ... 43rd-upton

4 stories, 29 units, 6,000 square feet of ground floor commercial.
Of note, this proposal only includes the former Famous Dave's parcel: http://gis.hennepin.us/property/map/def ... 2824420032
Previous proposals included one or more additional parcels for a larger overall footprint. Presumably, this leaves options open for a future separate development at 4250 Upton and the surface parking lot to the north.
Preliminary plans: http://lindenhills.org/wp-content/uploa ... 11x171.pdf
If all goes well, it will break ground early 2016.

Neighborhood already hates it, so this should be fun/predictable to watch.

See our older thread for the 2nd iteration, Linden Crossing, which was approved - twice - but never built.
The first iteration, which was 5-stories and a much larger overall site, crashed and burned at the hands of the neighborhood back in summer 2012.
It is... pretty ugly. Looks like it's taking cues from Murals on the color scheme. Serves LH right-- they block a beautiful, elegant design and get this for an encore.
Aaron Eisenberg / Realtor, Keller Williams Integrity
612.568.5828 / [email protected] / 1350 Lagoon Ave #900
http://www.agentaaron.com

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » May 20th, 2015, 1:02 pm

It could use a nonconforming penthouse floor, I think.

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » May 20th, 2015, 2:04 pm

I love the use of limestone. It's a "loud" building for this area for sure. I'd take it as is pretty much anywhere in the greater Uptown area, Whittier, etc.

I'm guessing they'll be asked to tone it down some (some of those overhangs, etc. are prolly a bit overboard) but will largely move forward with the overall concept in place. The previous proposal was unanimously approved and was a couple inches shorter (albeit with a smaller 4th floor footprint) so it's not like this is going to be opposed at the Planning Commission or City Council.

Daboink
Metrodome

Postby Daboink » May 20th, 2015, 2:49 pm

While standing in stark contrast to the surrounding buildings, I don't think the initial plan here is too far off...

That being said let's placate the neighborhood group and put a one story single use square building smack in the middle of the lot and add more surface parking.

min-chi-cbus
Capella Tower

Postby min-chi-cbus » May 20th, 2015, 4:00 pm

It seems like it's all about adding value to these people, and whatever project makes their existing property more valuable (or minimize a value hit) will win their approval. I'm not sure what they're griping about this time but I hope the city simply shrugs and gives the go-ahead anyways. They deserve worse but this has been in flux long enough, and I assume the city just wants its tax revenue -- neighbors be damned.

Anondson
IDS Center

Postby Anondson » May 20th, 2015, 5:22 pm

That design is ... weird.

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » May 20th, 2015, 5:26 pm

I think it's the way it's being presented. I'd want to see another angle before I start judging it

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » May 20th, 2015, 6:58 pm

I think the hood has learned a lesson. They will never stop a development there, but they sure can get something worse than what has been proposed in the past. The city can only say no so many times and the courts will say make up your mind and approve a turd in spite. They should know that development will happen sooner or later and to get the best design that they can. I think that the hood just missed that boat and will have a dead fish stinking up the corner instead.

Anondson
IDS Center

Postby Anondson » May 20th, 2015, 7:12 pm

Clearing the site and fencing it with chain link might focus their attention.

PhilmerPhil

Postby PhilmerPhil » May 20th, 2015, 8:41 pm

I think I've said this before, but back when I was in school and lived in the neighborhood, I went to a LHiNC meeting for a class. This was shortly after a failed attempt by CVS to open a store at 44th & France where the Linden Hills Coop is now. It was also shortly before the coop moved from the walkable heart of Linden Hills to it's more auto oriented node.

I remember one resident sad about the coop's move saying something like "I wish we I didn't fight that CVS so hard" after finding out that the coop would have stayed put and expanded in place had CVS been able to open there.

John
Capella Tower

Postby John » May 20th, 2015, 9:01 pm

I like it. What Murals should have been. The previous two designs were beautiful and fit in better with the neighborhood. Boy this this neighborhood organization does a lot of self sabotaging!

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » May 21st, 2015, 10:06 am

They are under the impression that they can keep anything from being built. But I'd hate to say that someday they will meet a developer that will take them to the cleaners and they will get a s**t design due to a court settlement and the city will have little or no say in the matter.

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » May 23rd, 2015, 6:01 am

I'm into it. i think the dislike if this comes from not interpreting the renderings well. It's a substantial building with a good amount of though and consistent design features. It definitely looks more like a "long term" building than most of the other infill projects going around.

mulad

Postby mulad » June 2nd, 2015, 3:32 pm

Weird, that's like a pure isometric rendering rather than one with perspective, so it feels like it grows as should be receding away. The design still makes it look like the 2nd and 3rd floors have mutated snouts sticking out from them.

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » August 12th, 2015, 6:33 am

Plans: http://minneapolismn.gov/www/groups/pub ... 147191.pdf

Going before the Planning Commission on Monday, August 17. All decisions final unless appealed, which you can be 100% sure it will be appealed. Even if they know they're going to lose, I'm sure the villagers want their pound of flesh and want to get Linea Palmisano on record supporting this project.

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » August 12th, 2015, 10:47 am

I guess it's the same as the existing condition, but the pedestrian connection along Sheridan (as opposed to Upton) seems terrible.

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » September 6th, 2015, 4:43 pm

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » September 6th, 2015, 5:24 pm

Funny how that 6 story building the left side just happened to be cropped off.