Metro Transit Service Improvement Plan 2014

Roads - Rails - Sidewalks - Bikeways
twincitizen

Re: Metro Transit Service Improvement Plan 2014

Postby twincitizen » May 7th, 2015, 2:06 pm

Did people see what they proposed for the 133/135?? That's news to me. I don't remember seeing this in the draft plan!

133: Reroute from I-35W to Park and Portland Avenues to provide limites stop
service to and from downtown Minneapolis in the Phillips, Whittier and
Powderhorn neighborhoods. Slight increase in travel time is balanced by
increased access in these communities. Increase frequency to compensate for
travel time.

135: Reroute from I-35W to 1st and Blaisdell Avenues to provide limited stop service
to and from downtown Minneapolis in the Phillips, Whittier and Powderhorn
neighborhoods. Slight increase in travel time is balanced by increased access
in these communities. Increase frequency to compensate for travel time

If they can truly increase frequency (currently like 4 trips per peak period), then I definitely see that as worth giving up a few minutes of travel time. Particularly with the huge 35W construction project coming up in 2017-18, the travel time differences might not be that different.

Here's what the 133/135 look like today: http://www.metrotransit.org/Data/Sites/ ... 133Map.pdf

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » May 7th, 2015, 2:12 pm

Yep, I'm excited for those two changes. Mainly because the 133 suddenly becomes a direct bus from my home to my work. It can't come soon enough.

My only concern is that this dilutes transit facilities and simplicity of use having 1st/Blaisdell and Park/Portland service in addition to regular service on Nicollet and Chicago. But both of those streets are getting limited stop overlays too (!!!).

Given the 133 moving to Park/Portland, I find it really strange that Route 39 will stick around (with 9 combined frequencies each day). Route 39 should just get dissolved once this change happens. But that's not in the SIP.

froggie
Rice Park

Postby froggie » May 13th, 2015, 8:55 am

Relevant to the earlier discussion on density, I created this average jobs+density map for Hennepin County:

Image.

I turned it into a Streets.MN post this morning.

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » May 20th, 2015, 4:32 pm

So how long do I have to wait for the 133 to route via Park/Portland so I can take it directly to work? #hurryMT

RailBaronYarr
Capella Tower

Postby RailBaronYarr » May 22nd, 2015, 7:29 am

Well, probably a long time since the MoveMN plan didn't pass, right? ;)

Tcmetro
Wells Fargo Center

Postby Tcmetro » May 5th, 2018, 6:53 am

Metro Transit updated the SIP in 2017 and has uploaded the latest version recently. The updates are minor, mostly removing services already implemented and modifying transitway-related proposals based on those planning efforts. Also implementation dates have been modified.

The routes that have received improvements since 2015: 2, 9 (listed under 643 and 649) 10, 11, 17, 18, 19, 30, 32, 54, 62, 721, and 722.

The improvements with a high ranking to be implemented in 2018-2020 are:
  • 4/15 - Separate the NE/Johnson St segment to a new Route 15 to improve reliability.
  • 6 - Add 8 peak-hour trips that do not make stops between Uptown TC and Franklin Ave.
  • 7 - Improve peak service to every 15 mins between North Loop and Seward. Improve midday and Saturday to 20 mins along entire route.
  • 10 - Improve Saturday morning and afternoon service to every 10 mins.
  • 17 - Extend all trips to 27th & Washington.
  • 18 - Begin 10 min service on Sundays at 9 am.
  • 22 - Improve to every 15 mins between Camden and VA Hospital, all days.
  • 32 - Improve weekday frequency to 20 mins and extend span to 10 pm.
  • 51 - Add a peak-hour limited stop overlay of Route 5 between Downtown Minneapolis and Mall of America.
  • 58 - Add a peak-hour limited stop overlay of Route 18 between Downtown Minneapolis and Nicollet/American.
  • 61 - Improve peak to 15 mins, Saturday to 30 mins. Extend hours on Saturdays. Add Sunday service every 30 mins.
  • 63 - Improve daytime service to every 15 mins and evening service to every 20 mins.
  • 74 - Improve daytime service to every 15 mins and evening service to every 20 mins.
  • 94 - Add weekday evening and weekend service every 30-60 mins.
  • 110 - Add new U of M - Seward/Longfellow route. (basically a Route 9 that goes to the U of M)
  • 133 - Reroute to local streets and add service.
  • 135 - Reroute to local streets and add service.
  • 724 - Improve peak hour frequency to every 15 mins.
High ranked improvements to be implemented in 2021-2023:
  • 3 - Improve trunk frequency on weekdays to every 10 mins and branch to every 20 mins.
  • 6 - Extend all trips to Stadium Village. Improve peak frequency to every 5 mins.
  • 14 - Improve weekday and Saturday service to every 15 mins.
  • 21 - Extend from Uptown to West Lake Green Line every 20 mins.
  • 23 - Improve peak to 15 mins, weekday/Saturday to every 20 mins, and weekend early/late to every 30 mins.
  • 26 - New route connecting North Minneapolis to the Van White Green Line station.
  • 30 - Extend route to Robbinsdale, replacing the 14 service along Golden Valley Road and Douglas Drive.
  • 33 - New route replacing 3K service on Kasota Drive and extending to Westgate Green Line. Every 30 mins weekdays and every 60 mins weekends.
  • 52 - Add a peak-hour overlay of Route 5 between Downtown Minneapolis and Brooklyn Center.
  • 53 - Improve peak service to every 30 mins, bidirectionally.
  • 113/114/115 - Add evening service to 113 and 114 and eliminate 115.
  • 578 - Improve reverse commute service to the Southdale/France Ave area.
All the documents are available here:
https://www.metrotransit.org/sip

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » May 5th, 2018, 3:32 pm

Woah an every 15 minute 7?!

Silophant

Postby Silophant » May 5th, 2018, 3:49 pm

Wouldn't the 51 and 52 pretty much just be the D Line? Admittedly, the 51 would start sooner than the D Line, and so would the 52 if the D Line gets delayed, but still.
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]

Tcmetro
Wells Fargo Center

Postby Tcmetro » May 5th, 2018, 8:17 pm

Yes, the 51 and 52 are basically the D Line. I'm somewhat mystified by their inclusion (partially by the failure of the 53 service on Lake St and the limited success of the 59 line Central), but I believe that Metro Transit was pursuing updates to the SIP and not a reimagining.

I hope that we can get a major update to the SIP, but that might be more useful in a few years after the Blue, Green, Orange, Gold, B, C, D, and E lines open.

DanPatchToget
Wells Fargo Center

Postby DanPatchToget » May 5th, 2018, 9:47 pm

My recommendations:

Route 4-Extend Penn and Lyndale branches south of 82nd to South Bloomington Transit Center. Would replace Route 539 service between Normandale College and Knox Ave Park & Ride.

Route 6-Extend to Old Shakopee & France via Normandale College. Service every 30 minutes weekday and every 60 minutes on the weekend. Would replace Route 537 and Route 539 service between Normandale College and Knox Ave Park & Ride.
-Simplify routing in Edina.

Route 10-Add a branch with buses in both directions connecting with Northstar trains at Fridley Station.

Route 18-Extend high frequency service to American Blvd.

Route 21-All trips originate/terminate at West Lake Station. Provides convenient bus bridge between station and Uptown in addition to Route 17.

Route 53-All day bi-directional service.

Route 494-Reintroduce as a limited-stop crosstown service along the Highway 169 Corridor between Shakopee and Maple Grove. Service on weekdays every 30 minutes during rush hour and every hour off peak.

Route 505-Instead of routing it VA Medical Center-MOA, route it between Edina Industrial Park area to Southdale via 70th, and then existing Route 515 C and E branches to VA Medical Center.

Route 539-Rerouted on 98th Street between Normandale Village and South Bloomington Transit Center, continues on existing route to MOA.

Route 542-Extend west to Eden Prairie Center and Southwest Station along 494 Corridor.

Route 547-New service between MOA and Southwest Station via Old Shakopee, Bloomington Ferry Road, Anderson Lakes Parkway, and Prairie Center Drive. This would be in addition to the existing Route 539, so extra service between South Bloomington and MOA.

Route 614-Extend route south to Southwest Station and EP Center via Valley View Road.

Route 693-New express service operated by SW Transit between the park & rides along Highway 212, Southwest Station, and downtown St. Paul. Peak hour, peak direction with five trips.

Route 721-Extend all trips to Arbor Lakes area in Maple Grove.

DanPatchToget
Wells Fargo Center

Postby DanPatchToget » June 4th, 2018, 3:13 pm

To add to my previous post:

Route 2-Extend north via University Avenue and 40th Avenue to Columbia Heights Transit Center.

Route 83-Extend to Rosedale Transit Center. This has been discussed in the urban bus route improvement thread, and this would make the route a lot more attractive to potential riders. I've only used this route twice; once just for fun from the Green Line going south to the terminus, and once recently to get to my friend's house in Northeast (83 to Larpenteur, 61 to 2nd Avenue, and the 11).

jebr
Nicollet Mall

Postby jebr » June 7th, 2018, 8:04 am

Route 83-Extend to Rosedale Transit Center. This has been discussed in the urban bus route improvement thread, and this would make the route a lot more attractive to potential riders. I've only used this route twice; once just for fun from the Green Line going south to the terminus, and once recently to get to my friend's house in Northeast (83 to Larpenteur, 61 to 2nd Avenue, and the 11).
If I'm dreaming on this one, I'd like to see it go to Rosedale via Lexington and B2 instead of B and Snelling. The 65 could take any traffic that needs to get to Har Mar (or the A Line/84, if people would rather transfer at Rosedale than Lexington/B) but that reroute would add service to the professional offices on Lexington and drastically improve service to Roseville High School (30 minute daily service to essentially the front door is added; current conditions are a weekday-only every-90-minute 223 or the 60-minute Monday-Saturday 227 that's about 3 blocks away.)

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » June 7th, 2018, 8:58 am

Why not complete the loop for Route 2? The existing eastbound/westbound designations already don't make sense for 1/3+ of the route. Change it to clockwise / counterclockwise. Extend from CenHenn to North Loop via Plymouth or Broadway, and extend the Hennepin segment north through Loring Park. Eventually these can meet at Royalston or Target Field and you have a full loop.