250 E. 7th Street

The Most Livable City in America™
Rico
City Center

250 E. 7th Street

Postby Rico » May 10th, 2015, 2:21 pm

Does anybody know what is going into this space? This is the former Twin Cities Magic location. It has had for sale/lease signs up for some time (see: http://brooksgroup.net/250ESeventh.cfm) but now construction plastic has been erected and a MP Johnson Construction sign is in the window. This is near the new Lowertown ballpark for the Saints. The St. Paul permits page mentions "Cuttlefish" but it is not clear if this is the new business or even what it means (see: https://www.stpaulonestop.com/AMANDA5/e ... operty.jsp). MP Johnson seems to involved in upscale restaurant and office projects (see: http://www.mpjohnson.com/mp_johnson_con ... jects.html).

ProspectPete
Union Depot

Re: 250 E. 7th Street

Postby ProspectPete » May 19th, 2015, 11:44 am

Today I was just riding my bike by here and I spoke to the owner of the new restaurant / beer hall being constructed. It's called "dark horse", it should be open by August. They also plan on making a nice patio between the 250 building and the building just to the east of it.

bptenor
Nicollet Mall

Postby bptenor » May 19th, 2015, 2:20 pm

Hooray! This is very good news; excited to see what it's like.

Rico
City Center

Postby Rico » May 19th, 2015, 11:48 pm

Today I was just riding my bike by here and I spoke to the owner of the new restaurant / beer hall being constructed. It's called "dark horse", it should be open by August. They also plan on making a nice patio between the 250 building and the building just to the east of it.
Wow, fantastic news. Thanks for getting the scoop and sharing!

ProspectPete
Union Depot

Postby ProspectPete » May 20th, 2015, 3:08 pm

Rico
City Center

Postby Rico » May 20th, 2015, 8:25 pm

I was just happy to see something moving into the spot but this sounds amazing. With Buttered Tin, it seems like this could be a real turning point for this stretch of East Seventh which in large part hasn't benefited from Lowertown's resurgence...until now.

bubzki2
Foshay Tower

Postby bubzki2 » May 21st, 2015, 7:27 am

I used to drive by this every day on my way to work and I couldn't believe no one had snatched up some of this space. Absolutely gorgeous structures and lots of eyes on it daily. Still have to get those commuters to stop and try it out, though. Best of luck to them!

ProspectPete
Union Depot

Postby ProspectPete » May 23rd, 2015, 10:04 am

That entire stretch of 7th has been a dead zone for as long as I can remember with the exception of Buttered Tin and Coco Bear. It's amazing that some of those buildings (O'Connor)have survived this long and didn't meet the wrecking ball.

What I find surprising about the Buttered Tin building is that the design incorporates elements that cater to street level retail (sidewalks wide enough for seating and walking, concrete flowerbeds doubling as barriers to auto traffic, shade trees, etc).

Anyhow, other than those two businesses, I have seen nothing go into any of the numerous first floor retail spaces.
Meanwhile across the street at the Heritage House, their first floor retail has been converted into indoor parking...baaaaah.
So, let's hope that the conversion of 250 E. 7th is the sentinel event which leads to additional development along this stretch. By my count there are currently 4 lowertown restaurants under construction (Darkhorse, St Dinette, Big River Pizza, OxCart).
I wonder what caused the sudden bump in development? CHS Field? Light rail? New market rate housing? Or perhaps "D", all of the above?
Maybe a little bit of patience and targeted gov't investment isn't such a bad thing after all.

Rico
City Center

Postby Rico » May 24th, 2015, 9:21 am

That entire stretch of 7th has been a dead zone for as long as I can remember with the exception of Buttered Tin and Coco Bear. It's amazing that some of those buildings (O'Connor)have survived this long and didn't meet the wrecking ball.

What I find surprising about the Buttered Tin building is that the design incorporates elements that cater to street level retail (sidewalks wide enough for seating and walking, concrete flowerbeds doubling as barriers to auto traffic, shade trees, etc).

Anyhow, other than those two businesses, I have seen nothing go into any of the numerous first floor retail spaces.
Meanwhile across the street at the Heritage House, their first floor retail has been converted into indoor parking...baaaaah.
So, let's hope that the conversion of 250 E. 7th is the sentinel event which leads to additional development along this stretch. By my count there are currently 4 lowertown restaurants under construction (Darkhorse, St Dinette, Big River Pizza, OxCart).
I wonder what caused the sudden bump in development? CHS Field? Light rail? New market rate housing? Or perhaps "D", all of the above?
Maybe a little bit of patience and targeted gov't investment isn't such a bad thing after all.
Probably D, all of the above, but CHS field appears to be the final touch that has brought these things together for a significant impact and media attention.

I'd like to see Buttered Tin expand next door into that empty space next to it in that apartment building. There are always lines out the door at Buttered Tin so it seems like it would be a good idea. would be nice to have some non-restaurant/bar retail move into this area too. I'll gladly take the restaurants and bars but just worry about whether there will be enough customers to support them all.

Rico
City Center

Postby Rico » May 26th, 2015, 7:15 pm

Pioneer Press article on Dark Horse: http://www.twincities.com/restaurants/c ... -magic-and