National Marrow Donor Program HQ - 524 5th Street North

Downtown - North Loop - Mill District - Elliot Park - Loring Park
HiawathaGuy
Wells Fargo Center

Re: National Marrow Donor Program HQ - (524 Fifth Street Nor

Postby HiawathaGuy » June 1st, 2015, 3:48 pm

It makes my eyes sad.
I wasn't expecting the Taj Mahal, but it leaves so much to be desired. I swear even the Shapco building had more character than this thing does.
Really?! I strongly disagree.
To each their own I guess.

Archiapolis
US Bank Plaza

Postby Archiapolis » June 2nd, 2015, 10:20 am

Reminds me of the old Brown Institute / Minneapolis Schools building at Hi-Lake that's about to get torn down.
Nailed it!

aeisenberg
Landmark Center

Postby aeisenberg » June 9th, 2015, 7:42 pm

Aaron Eisenberg / Realtor, Keller Williams Integrity
612.568.5828 / [email protected] / 1350 Lagoon Ave #900
http://www.agentaaron.com

mamundsen
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mamundsen » June 9th, 2015, 9:25 pm

So maybe this will look better from Target Field Station than it does from the entrance ramp to 94. Thank god!

David Greene
IDS Center

Postby David Greene » June 9th, 2015, 11:13 pm

Instead, architects/developers go and get abused for being greedy jerks who are out to destroy neighborhoods and there is no one there to rebut the claims
Why is it the city's responsibility to do this? The developer can very well get the information out.

If you think the neighborhood process is broken now, just wait until the City shows up and "takes sides" with the developers! It would not be helpful to have the City at these meetings.

Architorture
Metrodome

Postby Architorture » June 10th, 2015, 7:39 am

As an individual that has presented to neighborhood groups on a number of occasions, I feel it would be helpful for city staff to attend. They don’t have to take sides, it would be helpful if they just spoke to the current zoning and the city’s comprehensive plan. On a number of occasions, by right we can build to a certain height, density, and parking ratio – but that makes no difference to angry neighbors who do not like the project. One more huge benefit for the architects & developers would be for the city to tell the residents they don’t own view rights across someone else’s property. This is always a huge problem that a number of people do not understand. Finally, adding city staff to the meetings would be a further benefit because it would allow the city and the neighborhoods to continue the development discussion beyond the neighborhood or area master plans.

Architorture
Metrodome

Postby Architorture » June 10th, 2015, 7:43 am

PS This buidling is a nice infill but very much underwhelming. Hopefully they do a great job with the landscaping

min-chi-cbus
Capella Tower

Postby min-chi-cbus » June 10th, 2015, 8:01 am

This building would fit in very well near Hwy 100 and I-494....I can totally see that. It's not hideous by any means but it does sort of remind me of a suburban office strip.

Archiapolis
US Bank Plaza

Postby Archiapolis » June 10th, 2015, 8:13 am

As an individual that has presented to neighborhood groups on a number of occasions, I feel it would be helpful for city staff to attend. They don’t have to take sides, it would be helpful if they just spoke to the current zoning and the city’s comprehensive plan. On a number of occasions, by right we can build to a certain height, density, and parking ratio – but that makes no difference to angry neighbors who do not like the project. One more huge benefit for the architects & developers would be for the city to tell the residents they don’t own view rights across someone else’s property. This is always a huge problem that a number of people do not understand. Finally, adding city staff to the meetings would be a further benefit because it would allow the city and the neighborhoods to continue the development discussion beyond the neighborhood or area master plans.
^This x 1000.

FISHMANPET
IDS Center

Postby FISHMANPET » June 10th, 2015, 10:13 am

I think the neighborhood process needs some kind of neutral third party to better explain and clarify the facts of the situation. The relevant zoning codes and how they apply, comp plans, traffic information if available and relevant, etc etc. Much like City Council meetings have a City Attorney present to clarify the facts, the neighborhood process needs it too. And the city seems like a natural fit to me because they (should be) relatively neutral.

I'm sure there are some people that would see this kind of participation as the city siding with developers but that would only really be the case that the developer and the city would be on the side of reality and the opposition voicing that concern would not be. But if the primary purpose of the neighborhood meeting is to inform the neighborhood and improve the project, then I think the city could be useful.

If the primary purpose of the neighborhood meeting, however, is to torpedo any and all proposals, then nothing anybody says is going to change their mind, because they've started the meeting having already made up their mind.

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » June 10th, 2015, 10:32 am

An AMEN to that post! You so speak the truth there brother!!

John
Capella Tower

Postby John » June 10th, 2015, 11:06 am

So maybe this will look better from Target Field Station than it does from the entrance ramp to 94. Thank god!
The glass box entrance facing Target field actually looks pretty good. Airy and transparent. Including some retail (i.e restaurant ) inside would be a big plus and create more pedestrian traffic.

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » July 22nd, 2015, 9:09 am

Does anyone know if that is real limestone on the curved section into the lobby, or fake concrete wanna be. The sections look so disjointed that I find it hard to believe that it is real stone. But concrete wanna be, I would think would be better matched. But it is slowly starting to make a better impression on me. Look forward to having all the windows in so that I can get a better perspective of the building.

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » July 22nd, 2015, 12:13 pm

Just checked it out. It's real. The brick is actually really interesting. Romans or Normans not laid ina running bond.

John
Capella Tower

Postby John » July 23rd, 2015, 10:23 am

^^^ I like the brick as well. The glass atrium /entrance looks nice on the corner. This building is turning out quite a bit better than I expected.

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » July 23rd, 2015, 12:18 pm

I'm most happy about the interesting detail happening at the other corner, I was worried it would just be a cast concrete wall, but it seems it will be a glassy emergency exit if nothing else.

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » August 8th, 2015, 5:50 pm

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Re: National Marrow Donor Program HQ - 524 5th Street North

Postby mattaudio » August 10th, 2015, 8:30 am

Wow that block has really filled in...

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » September 1st, 2015, 10:35 am

Looks like they are close to getting the last of the windows in and just need the front doorway put in. Has there been a move in date announced for this project?

xandrex
Wells Fargo Center

Postby xandrex » September 3rd, 2015, 1:29 pm

I was talking to an exec there and she said they start moving folks over in November and everyone will be there by December.