City Center

Downtown - North Loop - Mill District - Elliot Park - Loring Park
Silophant

Re: City Center

Postby Silophant » June 8th, 2015, 4:32 pm

Baja Sol just reopened today. Also, the Greek Grill has closed, and demo of that space has begun. Leeann Chin must have had a slightly longer lease.
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » June 18th, 2015, 9:09 pm

Baja Sol just reopened today. Also, the Greek Grill has closed, and demo of that space has begun. Leeann Chin must have had a slightly longer lease.
Noticed today that Leeann Chin is still open. They maybe working on the closed section first and this allows Leeann to stay open until their other space is ready. There looks to be little work being done as far as build out for Sport Authority and Sacs on Fifth. Black Friday will be here before they are ready to open at this rate.

mplser
US Bank Plaza

Postby mplser » June 24th, 2015, 10:50 am

So this is happening Image

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » June 24th, 2015, 11:57 am

Will they be ready for the back to school push in August? Have about 5-6 weeks to get it built out to get any of the back to school sales. After that it is Black Friday which I would hope they would be ready for. Looking in both retailers space a few weeks ago, they had done very little to get ready for getting these stores built out.

Silophant

Postby Silophant » June 24th, 2015, 12:19 pm

I don't really expect it to take too long to build out the Sports Authority. It's not like the Saks, where they have to build vertical circulation that wasn't there before. What was there before? Its been empty as long as I've been in Minneapolis.
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]

mnmike
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mnmike » June 24th, 2015, 12:24 pm

Was it a mall entrance? Or was Sam Goody two floors? I can't remember now...

From Lileks

I feel like it was a Mall entrance...and there may have been a Mpls visitors center near that entrance?

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » June 24th, 2015, 12:30 pm

I don't really expect it to take too long to build out the Sports Authority. It's not like the Saks, where they have to build vertical circulation that wasn't there before. What was there before? Its been empty as long as I've been in Minneapolis.
I'll agree, when looking in that there is little if any demo needed. But they have to start getting the rest of what is needed for the build out. They really need to get going if they really want to make the best of this investment. Back to school is probably second to Christmas for sales% for a clothing retailer. That is a large % of their 3rd quarter bottom line.

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » June 24th, 2015, 12:43 pm

Pretty sure that if you go way back to its original construction, each of the two Nicollet corners were anchored by a department store. At the time of the picture posted above, that was a mall entrance that ran in on a diagonal to the main central spine. Sam Goody was located on the skyway level.

IIRC.

mnmike
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mnmike » June 24th, 2015, 12:50 pm

Yeah the other corner was Donaldsons, then Carson's then Wards...

Would be really interesting to see old pics of City Center, I can hardly remember it. Though they don't really seem to exist, cause who takes pics of a mall I guess. Same for Gaviidae when it opened. You can see a little of that in the movie "Drop Dead Fred"

seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Postby seanrichardryan » June 24th, 2015, 1:07 pm

I was in there last spring. No demo to do, it's wide open. You could see the ghosts of retail areas and the diagonal entrance on the floors.
Q. What, what? A. In da butt.

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » June 24th, 2015, 1:32 pm

Opening October 2015.

Silophant

Postby Silophant » June 24th, 2015, 2:03 pm

Ah, good. In retrospect, it obviously says "Octo" in mplser's pic above.
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]

RailBaronYarr
Capella Tower

Postby RailBaronYarr » June 24th, 2015, 2:36 pm

Wasn't there a 50s diner with kitschy rude waitresses on the ground level as you walked in the Sam Goody entrance on Nicollet?...

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » June 24th, 2015, 2:52 pm

Love that old City Center projecting sign on the corner.
There was another large sign on the Hennepin sign that was displaced by Block E's skyway connection.
I wonder if they are in storage somewhere...

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » June 24th, 2015, 3:08 pm

Donaldson's covered the whole block fronting Nicollet. Not sure how deep that the store went, but I do believe that the current escalators are the original that were in the Donaldson's store. That is why there is an escalator to the basement and up to the third floor as well. That was all reused. I thing the Macy's Skyway went directly into the Donaldson's store much like it does with Macy's. Donaldson's was a pretty big store, basement, ground, Skyway, and I think something up on third as well.

sanguinic
Metrodome

Postby sanguinic » June 24th, 2015, 8:32 pm

You're right, Wedgeguy: Donaldson's occupied the entire Nicollet Mall front, and the store went all the way back to the City Center atrium, and it occupied the basement and all three above-ground floors. The 7th/Nicollet street entrance opened into the men's casual clothing department, and I'm fairly sure the 7th Street skyway led directly from Dayton's to Donaldson's. The escalators now in front of Brooks Brothers were the store's escalator bank. Looks-wise, the store was fairly forgettable, but it was enormous.

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » June 25th, 2015, 9:08 am

I spent a little time trying to track down that information about Donaldson's, and was surprised at how elusive that information was. It's surprising how quickly our 1970's to 1990's memories are fading. Maybe we need to organize an intervention to beef up the Wikipedia pages of some of these major downtown projects.

mnmike
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mnmike » June 25th, 2015, 10:19 am

So true! I would pretty much only remember it from the 90s...even then it was like a "real mall"...pretty full and active. I have tried to find pics to no avail!

QuietBlue
Target Field

Postby QuietBlue » June 25th, 2015, 11:22 am

Wasn't there a 50s diner with kitschy rude waitresses on the ground level as you walked in the Sam Goody entrance on Nicollet?...
That sounds like the Heartthrob Cafe, but it was in St. Paul. It closed about fifteen years ago. Unless there was a 50's diner in downtown Minneapolis too.

seamonster
Nicollet Mall

Postby seamonster » June 25th, 2015, 11:40 am

I spent a little time trying to track down that information about Donaldson's, and was surprised at how elusive that information was. It's surprising how quickly our 1970's to 1990's memories are fading. Maybe we need to organize an intervention to beef up the Wikipedia pages of some of these major downtown projects.
I remember there being a television commercial for City Center in the mid 80's perhaps? It's difficult to convey the tune via this post, but the lyrics definitely included "It's the city...City Center...it's the center of attention!!!"

If I ever meet any of you in person, I can sing this on demand.