Nicollet Mall

Re: U.S. Bank Stadium

Postby nfschauer » July 20th, 2015, 9:04 am

Id assume this is the sign.

J2K
Metrodome

Postby J2K » July 20th, 2015, 12:53 pm

The sign is going up on the east side. That whole side is almost done!

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » July 20th, 2015, 1:15 pm

The sign is going up on the east side. That whole side is almost done!
Wondered last week if there are additional signs that will go on that side. I've seen a few areas where the siding is much lighter and I figure that is where signs will go so they are not using the more expensive siding behind the signs. There are a few other smaller spots, so maybe like Target Center there will be sponsors that get some signage also. Surprised to see how many of the windows are in at present. By the end of the week I would think that the large wedge of the north side windows should be complete. The north side will probably be the next side to get most of the attention when it comes to siding as the south side still is very much under construction still.

jw138
Union Depot

Postby jw138 » July 20th, 2015, 1:27 pm

http://www.bizjournals.com/twincities/b ... rever.html

That's too bad, I kind of like the dark black.

karlshea
Nicollet Mall

Postby karlshea » July 20th, 2015, 4:51 pm

Wondered last week if there are additional signs that will go on that side. I've seen a few areas where the siding is much lighter and I figure that is where signs will go so they are not using the more expensive siding behind the signs. There are a few other smaller spots, so maybe like Target Center there will be sponsors that get some signage also. Surprised to see how many of the windows are in at present. By the end of the week I would think that the large wedge of the north side windows should be complete. The north side will probably be the next side to get most of the attention when it comes to siding as the south side still is very much under construction still.
Those lighter spots are where the zinc is perforated for windows and ventilation fans.

Nick
Capella Tower

Postby Nick » July 20th, 2015, 5:00 pm

Kinda bummed about the spots. I like the (one-third finished) design overall but those holes are really pretty obvious without even getting that close.
Nick Magrino
[email protected]

Silophant

Postby Silophant » July 20th, 2015, 5:10 pm

Yeah. I'm sure they'll be less noticeable when the zinc lightens, but that's a long time out yet, apparently. I didn't realize it would take 10-20 years, as quoted in that article.
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » July 20th, 2015, 6:50 pm

Karlshea, thanks for that information. Had not been by there to know where all over the ventilation ducts were placed. I see them where there is no skin, but did not see them get covered. Those light patches look very strange against the other black panels for sure. But yes, when half of the stadiums life is over they will blend in nicely with the patina of the panels.

UrbWave
City Center

Postby UrbWave » July 21st, 2015, 6:36 pm

From a distance for some reason the zinc used in covering the ventilation ducts appear to be lighter but when up close they are actually darker. In person those patches also appear to have a different texture from the surrounding zinc. I'm not sure if those patches will become less visible over time. Here's a picture of the patches.

http://www.gannett-cdn.com/-mm-/15ae587 ... image2.JPG

holmstar
Nicollet Mall

Postby holmstar » July 22nd, 2015, 7:30 am

They're vents. I'm guessing that they are made up of a series of slanted parallel slats. These would look different, even if the same color, because they are at a different angle to the sun than the wall. When in person, you're closer to the building, which also means you see more of the opening between the slats, making it darker. No big mystery here.

PigsEye

Postby PigsEye » July 22nd, 2015, 1:27 pm

They're vents. I'm guessing that they are made up of a series of slanted parallel slats. These would look different, even if the same color, because they are at a different angle to the sun than the wall. When in person, you're closer to the building, which also means you see more of the opening between the slats, making it darker. No big mystery here.
K well it still looks bland, basic, and boring in photograph of a distance where you can get a sizeable amount in frame.

seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Postby seanrichardryan » July 22nd, 2015, 2:37 pm

Q. What, what? A. In da butt.

HiawathaGuy
Wells Fargo Center

Postby HiawathaGuy » July 22nd, 2015, 2:51 pm

I am really glad Benson has left the MSFA... he seems like a big ass. And now he's making more faux news. The reality of change orders for a project this large are expected. To come out and make this claim, with no evidence though, and to continue to try and claim that having Mondale & Kelm-Helgen co-leading is somehow to blame... just seems, I don't know, a little like a Boy Who Cried Wolf. Especially given the contingency funds that MSFA has available. Leave, and stop trying to discredit people.

nfschauer
Nicollet Mall

Postby nfschauer » July 22nd, 2015, 3:39 pm

And if those bird people got their way, it would have been $150 million over budget! Good thing they didn't give in to those folks!

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » July 22nd, 2015, 7:10 pm

Only people who toe the line are welcome at MSFA, apparently. Bow to the Zygi statue on your way in...

Archiapolis
US Bank Plaza

Postby Archiapolis » July 23rd, 2015, 7:40 am

I am really glad Benson has left the MSFA... he seems like a big ass. And now he's making more faux news. The reality of change orders for a project this large are expected. To come out and make this claim, with no evidence though, and to continue to try and claim that having Mondale & Kelm-Helgen co-leading is somehow to blame... just seems, I don't know, a little like a Boy Who Cried Wolf. Especially given the contingency funds that MSFA has available. Leave, and stop trying to discredit people.
Not everyone is happy about the stadium (understatement) but to say that a project of this scale is "$50M over budget" is ridiculous. When you have as much money as the Wilf's and they are putting more money in than was first allotted, etc...let's see what it looks like at the end. It is VERY common to identify a big "add" and then find a bunch of "deducts" that many times work out in the wash...

HiawathaGuy
Wells Fargo Center

Postby HiawathaGuy » July 23rd, 2015, 8:13 am

Only people who toe the line are welcome at MSFA, apparently. Bow to the Zygi statue on your way in...
What does this even mean? Benson has issues with Kelm-Helgen, and has disrupted many MSFA meetings. This has nothing to do with the Wilf brothers. In fact, the article clearly states that this is between MSFA, Mortenson and HKS. The Vikings have and will continue to add money where extra items they want added are involved. The $50 million sited in this article is a claim by outgoing MSFA member, Benson, who again uses the argument that Kelm-Helgen is a duplicate position, which he's been arguing for months - only to look like an ass.

If HKS designed things that weren't possible to do at the cost originally assumed, and Mortenson had to spend more to make it happen - those costs will need to be figured out. Contingency funds and/or removing other 'extras' from the overall budget will have be be discussed. But claiming that Kelm-Helgen and Mondale somehow create this inability to make the best decisions about the funding seems a bit left-field to me.

David Greene
IDS Center

Postby David Greene » July 23rd, 2015, 9:05 am

Maybe should have been a bit more specific....They're having a naming rights event and the sign will be on the east side of the stadium, so the first of who knows how many! Too bad there are no webcams capturing that side, but I'm sure someone will be posting a pic soon.
I drove by the sign as it was being hauled down I-94 to the 5th St. exit.

I felt dirty.

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » July 23rd, 2015, 9:10 am

...a claim by outgoing MSFA member, Benson, who again uses the argument that Kelm-Helgen is a duplicate position, which he's been arguing for months - only to look like an ass.
Benson may or may not be an ass, but he's absolutely right about the weirdness of this structure. If you were to compare this to a corporate structure, Kelm-Helgen is the Chair of the Board of Directors and Mondale is the CEO. In a situation like this, you would expect that Mondale's position would be full time, and involved in the day-to-day minutiae of getting the stadium built. Kelm-Helgen, on the other hand, should be a part-time position, heading the board and looking after the public's interest. The fact that they're both trying to do Mondale's job is baffling, and no wonder there's friction and turmoil behind the scenes.

HiawathaGuy
Wells Fargo Center

Postby HiawathaGuy » July 23rd, 2015, 10:17 am

...a claim by outgoing MSFA member, Benson, who again uses the argument that Kelm-Helgen is a duplicate position, which he's been arguing for months - only to look like an ass.
Benson may or may not be an ass, but he's absolutely right about the weirdness of this structure. If you were to compare this to a corporate structure, Kelm-Helgen is the Chair of the Board of Directors and Mondale is the CEO. In a situation like this, you would expect that Mondale's position would be full time, and involved in the day-to-day minutiae of getting the stadium built. Kelm-Helgen, on the other hand, should be a part-time position, heading the board and looking after the public's interest. The fact that they're both trying to do Mondale's job is baffling, and no wonder there's friction and turmoil behind the scenes.
But the friction doesn't seem to happen between Mondale & Kelm-Helgen... so one has to wonder if this is just a made-up issue? I agree that it's odd, but Dayton appointed her, as a full-time public figure. I can't blame her for doing her job as she's been hired.