Chicago

Andrew_F
Rice Park

Re: Chicago

Postby Andrew_F » September 30th, 2014, 4:48 pm

For me it was an article about this weekend's gun violence: 40 wounded, 5 dead. Damn.
If you aren't familiar: http://heyjackass.com/

Back on topic:

I have never understood this project. Then again, I have never understood any (able-bodied) person who will do an intermodal transfer to go such a short distance. But apparently enough people do it to justify all those privately-run coach shuttles that operate between the stations in the West Loop and the major buildings in and around the Illinois Center. This won't erase the need for a transit tunnel under Clinton and a true downtown circulator in the long term, but it's better than nothing. And if it fixes the lawnessness that is Canal between Adams and Van Buren, well, then I guess I'm okay with it.

It's frustrating watching how much the city pours into stopgap measures rather than ponying up for what needs to be done, but it's tough to pull together the kind of capital that those projects need with the state of the city's finances being what they are.

Honestly, this is the only thing exciting about this project:
mprovements for access to Union Station will incorporate a top-to-bottom redesign of Canal Street between Adams Street and Jackson, officials said.

The existing CTA bus lane on the west side of Canal, a barrier-protected route that goes against the flow of northbound traffic, will be eliminated by moving buses to the new transit center on Jackson. Two travel lanes on the west side of Canal will become two northbound general traffic lanes.

A taxi stand and waiting area will be established in the protected median area along Canal between Jackson and Adams, with crosswalks connecting it to the sidewalk. A dedicated stopping area for intercity buses contracted by Amtrak, as well as space for private shuttle buses, will operate from the east side of Canal.

The staging area for Megabus service will be relocated to near the Blue Line subway entrance on Clinton, according to CDOT.

The northbound bike lane on Canal will be removed and the southbound bike lane on Clinton will be converted into two protected lanes serving both northbound and southbound directions, CDOT said.

lordmoke
Wells Fargo Center

Postby lordmoke » October 16th, 2014, 10:36 am

Holy crap, it would be amazing to get something like this in MSP. Open House Chicago is this weekend- 150 buildings around the city are open to the public. I might actually plan a vacation around this next year.

http://www.openhousechicago.org/

Andrew_F
Rice Park

Postby Andrew_F » October 20th, 2014, 11:58 pm

It's a lot of fun! The lines get kind of long at a some of the sites (I waited well over an hour each for Tribune and Jewlers two years ago), but at least the event is doing well. This year I made it to 190 LaSalle, Board of Trade, Union Station, Old Republic, Chicago Temple (my only repeat that I couldn't resist doing again), Godfrey Hotel, and MDA Apartments. Ended up doing mostly taller buildings this year after doing a lot of theaters last year.

chimpls
Block E

Postby chimpls » October 22nd, 2014, 8:05 pm

since there's been a bit of talk recently about the minneapolis riverfront waterworks park, i thought i'd share this article about the chicago riverwalk. y'all might find it interesting for comparison/read what's happening in other cities.

http://www.chicagomag.com/city-life/Oct ... hat-Means/

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » December 19th, 2014, 9:30 am

TommyT
Target Field

Postby TommyT » January 30th, 2015, 3:02 pm

Nice article about Chicago's possible next Super Tall. Also a nod to Minneapolis.

http://www.wbez.org/series/curious-city ... FBWBEZ4774

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » January 30th, 2015, 5:23 pm

Isn't it kind of embarrassing for the US that only NYC has a building on that 20 tallest buildings and those are the only 2 that compete? Personally I do think the US is behind on it's Tall game, I'm not worried about Minneapolis but I feel like NYC and CHI and LA should be competing as global cities in the architecture game.

FISHMANPET
IDS Center

Postby FISHMANPET » January 30th, 2015, 5:29 pm

Eh, I don't really want to compete with oil sheikh funny money.

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » January 30th, 2015, 8:30 pm

There's plenty of other money around. It's more of a where we spend it question. Those countries value or require tall buildings, we still have plenty of land.

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » January 31st, 2015, 9:34 am

Yeah, Dubai was running out of land.

EOst
Capella Tower

Postby EOst » January 31st, 2015, 10:09 am

Given Dubai has an office vacancy rate of something like 45%...

FISHMANPET
IDS Center

Postby FISHMANPET » January 31st, 2015, 10:27 am

Those countries value enormous monuments to their small penises. At a certain point a tall building is more ego than need, and the Middle East is waaaaaay beyond need and deep into ego territory. A little ego is good, but not too much.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

talindsay
Wells Fargo Center

Postby talindsay » January 31st, 2015, 7:48 pm

Those countries value enormous monuments to their small penises. At a certain point a tall building is more ego than need, and the Middle East is waaaaaay beyond need and deep into ego territory. A little ego is good, but not too much.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
Seriously. Build tall if you need it, not because you have something to prove. There's a lot more effective ways to demonstrate the capabilities of an advanced society than building empty, overpriced towers. I don't think, gosh, Singapore has some of the world's tallest buildings so clearly Singaporeans are smarter, better looking, and more capable of accomplishing things than, say, Germans. Buying a monument is one thing; advancing your society, taking care of your people, improving quality of life, and leading the world are completely unrelated.

Munch'n
Nicollet Mall

Postby Munch'n » April 16th, 2015, 5:04 pm

Here's an update on our tallest proposed building. I personally think it's sexy as hell......

http://chicago.curbed.com/archives/2015 ... eeting.php
Meet me in Wells

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » May 29th, 2015, 1:41 pm

Chicago experts: What's the feasibility of parking at a very distant Metra station for more than 24 hours?

GF and I might go camping in Zion (Illinois Beach State Park), then want to leave the car there and take the train into Chicago for a night...maybe two.

How closely watched are those Metra P&R lots? Would I get towed for parking overnight? Do you think its a safer bet to do a "hide&ride" in one of the small towns (not necessarily Zion) serviced by Metra rather than to leave the car in the actual Metra lot? Seems like that could be done pretty easily in some of the more distant areas where the train station is walkable to the center of town.

Andrew_F
Rice Park

Postby Andrew_F » May 31st, 2015, 5:23 pm

At least as of a few years ago, you could do it at the lots managed by CPS. Call them and ask. A friend of mine did this while visiting me once. She had to call and pay over the phone each day she was parked there, but there was no additional fee for being there overnight. IIRC, she didn't have to pay for Sunday. Not sure if this has changed or if it varies by lot (this was at the downtown Elgin station). Hide and ride would definitely be feasible in a lot of areas. You could also do the hide and ride thing at an outer CTA station and save the hassle of dealing with Metra.

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » June 1st, 2015, 8:36 am

Which brings up the point... from what I've seen at many Metra stations, they charge for parking separate from the transit fare. Wish we did that here.

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » July 27th, 2015, 5:19 pm

Tiller
Foshay Tower

Postby Tiller » August 7th, 2015, 5:07 am

https://nextcity.org/daily/entry/chicag ... -minnesota
A new proposed TOD ordinance would nearly triple the amount of land in the city where denser development would be allowed and increase the land subject to reduced parking requirements tenfold
Go Chicago!

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » September 1st, 2015, 9:29 am