LPM Apartments - (376' - 36 Stories)

Downtown - North Loop - Mill District - Elliot Park - Loring Park
Andrew_F
Rice Park

Re: Loring Park Apartments - (1368 LaSalle Avenue)

Postby Andrew_F » October 28th, 2012, 10:33 pm

Magellan certainly has a Chicago approach to politics. Calling out Goodman in the press release to thank her, and then screwing up to say alderman rather than councilmember. Are they trying to look dirty?

Civilization

Postby Civilization » October 28th, 2012, 10:59 pm

wouldnt be the first nor last developer to trip up in such a manner in regards to loring's alderman opps, i meant council person.

nordeast homer
US Bank Plaza

Postby nordeast homer » October 29th, 2012, 12:07 am

Civilization-Is it merely Loring Park that is off limits to construction or are there other parts of the city that you frequent that may be an inconvenience? I've already put the DOT on high alert, but I've got friends in construction and I don't want them thinking their projects are in jeopardy. :roll:

John
Capella Tower

Postby John » October 29th, 2012, 12:19 am

Magellan certainly has a Chicago approach to politics. Calling out Goodman in the press release to thank her, and then screwing up to say alderman rather than councilmember. Are they trying to look dirty?
Really, I thinks its just an innocent mistake in nomenclature since I think the city council members in Chicago are called "Alderman". There is nothing to read into it.

minneapolisguy
Nicollet Mall

Postby minneapolisguy » October 29th, 2012, 6:18 am

construction trailer being installed on this site this morning when I biked by - awesome!!

mullen
Foshay Tower

Postby mullen » October 29th, 2012, 8:41 am

a chicago approach to politics? what does that even mean. because they thanked councilmember Goodman? i remember as a kid people on the minneapolis city council were referred to as "alderman".

sit back and enjoy the construction of this glass beauty. i hope this company chooses to develop more projects in our city. all of their chicago developments are awesome.

Didier
Capella Tower

Postby Didier » October 29th, 2012, 8:45 am

I kind of liked this building better when I subconsciously imagined its name being "Magellan."

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » October 29th, 2012, 10:48 am

They were called Alderman in Minneapolis back in history... I think it changed sometime around 1950.

Andrew_F
Rice Park

Postby Andrew_F » October 29th, 2012, 8:03 pm

Sorry if I upset anyone-- I didn't mean it as a serious dig at Magellan. Yes, councilmembers in Chicago are called aldermen. Also, Chicago (and Illinois in general) has this weird fetish where a lot of public credit is given to politicians for their pet projects, something that has been very foreign to me as someone raised in Minneapolis. I was generally making fun of people who are afraid of "Chicago-style politics" by pointing out that they're both publicly thanking her and calling her an alderman. I have nothing against Magellan. Lakeshore East is stunning, if a bit sterile.

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » October 29th, 2012, 9:07 pm

Did anyone else catch this on Magellan's website? "1369 Spruce Place"

I know, minor details, but it stuck out to me. Also, they refer to it as "Loring Park Apartment Tower" in their own press release, which makes it seem like the name is not final. Personally I'm hoping for something a little more original (something like... Magellan ;) )

http://www.magellandevelopment.com/chic ... tate/news/

Sidebar: I honestly just put 2 and 2 together and realized this was going in right behind the SA. Is the gas station (and/or strip mall) going away or is this project just going in next to it?

seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Postby seanrichardryan » October 29th, 2012, 10:16 pm

Next to it. The Jungle Red Salon/Garage and the strip mall will remain.... for now.
Q. What, what? A. In da butt.

Chef
Landmark Center

Postby Chef » October 30th, 2012, 1:44 am

The two compelling factors for any tower discussed here is
1. how pretty it will be.
2. profitable.

Your fun is my lack of sleep and hassle getting around the community I live in.
The long and the short of it is that the population of the Twin Cities is growing so we have to build more housing. You can't be anti-everything about building, you have to be pro-something. I would rather see the core densify than the perpetuation of sprawl. Sprawl is bad for the enviornment, it is one of the main drivers of the US's high energy consumption. This tower will house as many people on one parcel as 150 acres of cul de sacs in Dakota county.

I've lived next to construction projects. It isn't fun but it is price you pay for living in a city that isn't dying.

mullen
Foshay Tower

Postby mullen » October 30th, 2012, 6:23 am

their aqua project in chicago is stunning...as far as i'm concerned they can build as many towers as they want here.

and to the alderman point...i grew up in south mpls in the 70s and 80s and city councilmembers were commonly referred to as alderman. so it's a relatively recent change in title.

woofner
Wells Fargo Center

Postby woofner » October 30th, 2012, 10:44 am

and to the alderman point...i grew up in south mpls in the 70s and 80s and city councilmembers were commonly referred to as alderman. so it's a relatively recent change in title.
I'm pretty sure it was a response to identity politics - councilmember being gender neutral and seen as less clumsy somehow than alderperson. (Firefox spellcheck does not recognize either word, nor does it recognize spellcheck itself.) I'd guess Fraser was responsible.

As for the CM being called out in development press releases, I can see why that would be frowned on in Minneapolis, given the average voter's attitude towards development. I didn't think that was much better in Chicago, but I'm happy to be wrong about that.
"Who rescued whom!"

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » October 30th, 2012, 11:17 am

My understanding was always that the Alderman term was dropped because it was associated to some extent with old style patronage politics, and the city was moving forward into the bright light of Good Government.

mplser
US Bank Plaza

Postby mplser » October 30th, 2012, 11:40 am

The two compelling factors for any tower discussed here is
1. how pretty it will be.
2. profitable.

Your fun is my lack of sleep and hassle getting around the community I live in.
I've lived next to construction projects. It isn't fun but it is price you pay for living in a city that isn't dying.
exactly. If you prefer a city with very little construction may I recommend a place like Detroit or Gary? OK I'm done having fun now, but really, how do you expect a city to be able to grow without constructing any new buildings?

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » October 30th, 2012, 11:43 am

their aqua project in chicago is stunning...as far as i'm concerned they can build as many towers as they want here.
Although, I guess aqua isn't that great on the inside, I guess it feels kind of dorm/compact/average finish quality. My friend lives there, and they accidentally set the fire alarm system off while cooking, the whole building had to evacuate, and I guess it was a mess because so many people in tight evacuation quarters... I guess it's happened a number of times. Though he does say he loves living there.

John
Capella Tower

Postby John » October 30th, 2012, 1:12 pm

Somewhere I remember seeing a typical floor plan of Loring Park Apts and if I recall correctly , they are very spacious. I think they have only one or two studios per floor and even they were approx 600-700 square feet. So I'm pretty confident this project will not have a cramped feeling for its residents.

beykite
Nicollet Mall

Postby beykite » October 30th, 2012, 2:35 pm

Fences and barriers are all up. Some backhoes and other equipment are on site. Looked like they were doing a little bit of demo work.

Avian
Union Depot

Postby Avian » October 30th, 2012, 3:37 pm

Somewhere I remember seeing a typical floor plan of Loring Park Apts and if I recall correctly , they are very spacious. I think they have only one or two studios per floor and even they were approx 600-700 square feet. So I'm pretty confident this project will not have a cramped feeling for its residents.
Here's a typical floor plan:

“Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something.”
― Plato