Kraus-Anderson, HQ Apartments, Finnegans "Brewtel" - 9th St S/5th Ave S

Downtown - North Loop - Mill District - Elliot Park - Loring Park
min-chi-cbus
Capella Tower

Re: New Kraus-Anderson HQ (9th St. S/5th Ave. S)

Postby min-chi-cbus » June 10th, 2015, 7:58 am

If I'm a future tenant looking for brand-new Class A space to have constructed, I would very much be curious what kind of building showcases the developers I vet had, and that would start with their own HQ. In other words, I'd expect a developer's HQ to be nothing short of spectacular, as it's the first thing I'll see when I meet with the developer who will eventually be trying to convince my business that they can build something great for me as well.

nickmgray
Union Depot

Postby nickmgray » June 10th, 2015, 8:00 am

Honestly, I'd rather see a 1/4 block office development than a master plan for the whole block. Let's be honest, full-block developments are hard and we're usually disappointed with what's proposed. Let them build a 6-8 story office tower on one of the corners and allow the market to dictate what is needed on the other 3/4 of the block in time. There's no need to rush to build out the whole block.

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » June 10th, 2015, 9:23 am

I'd tend to agree, IF they're actually only going to use ~1/4 of the block and one hard corner, a la Xcel's new building. Their previous plan was a 4-story office building covering ~1/3 of the block, including an entire blockface and two of the corners...and the entrance facing the interior of the block.

Building a taller building with smaller floorplates (6 stories over 1/4 block) will obviously cost K-A more than the 4 story building covering more of the block, but they need to realize the value in keeping more of the block available for future development. They're sitting on a potential gold mine by simply reserving more of the property for future development, even if it's a decade or more away.

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » June 10th, 2015, 9:55 am

I'd tend to agree, IF they're actually only going to use ~1/4 of the block and one hard corner, a la Xcel's new building. Their previous plan was a 4-story office building covering ~1/3 of the block, including an entire blockface and two of the corners...and the entrance facing the interior of the block.

Building a taller building with smaller floorplates (6 stories over 1/4 block) will obviously cost K-A more than the 4 story building covering more of the block, but they need to realize the value in keeping more of the block available for future development. They're sitting on a potential gold mine by simply reserving more of the property for future development, even if it's a decade or more away.
You make a great argument for using less to hopefully reserve more for a better product down the road. Also very much agree with the statement of what you showcase is the calling card of what you produce. If your HQ is second rate then I'd imagine that second rate is the best you can do!! Not a good business move for the long run.

twinkess
Target Field

Postby twinkess » August 4th, 2015, 9:23 pm

I saw a Braun Intertec drill rig working here this morning. Possibly soil samples for this project?

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » August 20th, 2015, 7:11 pm

But what if there was also a "brewtel".

The developer, in partnership with Finnegans and ESG Architects, is planning is a seven-story boutique hotel with approximately 148 rooms and a three-story micro-brewery, restaurant, event center and social innovation center.
The project also includes a 17-story residential building with about 300 units, which is the same height of the Portland Tower being constructed nearby.
On the northwest corner of the site, Kraus-Anderson is planning a five-story headquarters with about 80,000 square feet of office space. Preliminary concepts show a deck on the building's top floor.
Users of all four buildings would utilize two levels of underground parking with a total of approximately 500 parking stalls. In the middle of the four buildings, a shared service court would serve as a drop-off and pedestrian space.
The developer expects construction could begin in the first quarter of 2016 with an opening 16-24 months later. The four buildings would be constructed all at once.

http://www.journalmpls.com/news-feed/de ... lliot-park

Tyler
Foshay Tower

Postby Tyler » August 20th, 2015, 7:16 pm

Sweet.
Towns!

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » August 20th, 2015, 7:42 pm

All that was needed was a little persuasion. Now it seem that we get a full block with no waiting. Glad to see, Hope it looks better that these drawing though.

mamundsen
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mamundsen » August 20th, 2015, 7:44 pm

Wow! This is a great upgrade. Just think of what it is today transformed into this in 2 yrs! Awesome. Glad this will work out in the end.

Anondson
IDS Center

Postby Anondson » August 20th, 2015, 7:57 pm

Okay. Now this is getting somewhere.

acs
Wells Fargo Center

Postby acs » August 20th, 2015, 7:58 pm

I'm way more happy about the long-term wins for the city: A) underground parking and B) KA stays in the city. The more urban their location hopefully will mean better urban building designs out of them. Hopefully they have room to grow here. Also, what is that building between the hotel and the office? Does it look like a barn to anyone else?

kiliff75
Nicollet Mall

Postby kiliff75 » August 20th, 2015, 8:12 pm

Wow this is awesome! I wonder what the brewery is going to be! 3 stories of a brewpub, yes! :ugeek:

Anondson
IDS Center

New Kraus-Anderson HQ (9th St. S/5th Ave. S)

Postby Anondson » August 20th, 2015, 8:12 pm

Also, what is that building between the hotel and the office? Does it look like a barn to anyone else?
The three story brewery is between the seven story building and the HQ.

Silophant

Postby Silophant » August 20th, 2015, 8:15 pm

Great!

That barn structure must be the brewpub. Looks like it goes the full length of the hotel, so that's going to be enormous.
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]

kiliff75
Nicollet Mall

Postby kiliff75 » August 20th, 2015, 8:17 pm

Wow this is awesome! I wonder what the brewery is going to be! 3 stories of a brewpub, yes! :ugeek:
After actually reading the second sentence of the article, I see that it will be a Finnegan's. Reading is hard. :geek:

seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Postby seanrichardryan » August 20th, 2015, 8:22 pm

I wonder if this will be their full production facility or just a glamorous taphouse.
Q. What, what? A. In da butt.

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » August 20th, 2015, 9:20 pm

Isn't Finnegan's made by / under contract with Summit? I can't imagine this will be the production facility.

But woohoo on K/A turning it around and making a good block happen.

Edit:
It currently has a brewing arrangement with Summit Brewing Co. in St. Paul, but Jacquie Berglund, Finnegans’ chief executive, said, “We are now getting to the size where we need to be thinking about getting our own.
http://www.startribune.com/back-from-th ... 322467141/
Last edited by mattaudio on August 20th, 2015, 9:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

acs
Wells Fargo Center

Postby acs » August 20th, 2015, 9:25 pm

trigonalmayhem

Postby trigonalmayhem » August 21st, 2015, 6:48 am

That rendering makes it look like there's no sidewalk entrance on the south face, except at the corner. It seems like they're going to make it oriented inward towards the little driveway mentioned. So maybe still not great street frontage on all sides?

twinkess
Target Field

Postby twinkess » August 21st, 2015, 7:58 am

Wow. As a Skyscape resident I can't tell you how excited I am for this announcement. This surface lot has been a drain on the neighborhood for longer than I've been here. To replace it with something like this? Wow!