Kraus-Anderson, HQ Apartments, Finnegans "Brewtel" - 9th St S/5th Ave S

Downtown - North Loop - Mill District - Elliot Park - Loring Park
trigonalmayhem

Re: New Kraus-Anderson HQ (9th St. S/5th Ave. S)

Postby trigonalmayhem » August 24th, 2015, 3:52 pm

Regarding the brewery and drunks, there's a big difference between living near bars and like twenty feet from one that's practically attached to your building. It's not some fancy wine bar with people quietly sipping 30 year old merlot and listening to harp music. Bros will undoubtedly flock there especially with its proximity to the stadium. If they have any sort of outdoor patio it will be a nightmare for anyone who lives directly across the little alleyway. I mean that's fine if people are cool with that, but I would never want to live there. I'm not saying this project doesn't look great, just that it's not for me.

HiawathaGuy
Wells Fargo Center

Postby HiawathaGuy » August 24th, 2015, 4:14 pm

Regarding the brewery and drunks, there's a big difference between living near bars and like twenty feet from one that's practically attached to your building. It's not some fancy wine bar with people quietly sipping 30 year old merlot and listening to harp music. Bros will undoubtedly flock there especially with its proximity to the stadium. If they have any sort of outdoor patio it will be a nightmare for anyone who lives directly across the little alleyway. I mean that's fine if people are cool with that, but I would never want to live there. I'm not saying this project doesn't look great, just that it's not for me.
I think you can be proven wrong by hanging out at Fulton any night. I think you're confusing a brew house with a frat house.
Not one brew pub I've been to has ever been like what you're describing.

contrast
Nicollet Mall

Postby contrast » August 24th, 2015, 9:07 pm

Regarding the burden of having to go 6 of 7 blocks to a grocery store, recall that it was quite recent (on the forerunner to this board) that people were debating which was the closest downtown grocery: the Wedge, the Quarry, or Cub/Rainbow on Lake and Minnehaha. Downtown is not a food desert like it was before 2000. Walking from 8th to 3rd to a future Trader Joes is quite reasonable. Imagine that same situation in 1999.

PS- also concur with others that brewery will not be a detractor. Especially the most socially conscious of any brewery that I have ever heard of. I say it is a huge plus, possibly much better than a high end restaurant, because it will be accessible to pretty much everyone with a few dollars to spend.

acs
Wells Fargo Center

Postby acs » August 24th, 2015, 9:27 pm

Yes we've come a long way. That being said, wouldn't it be great to have a store right in the heart of Elliot Park, say at 9th and Chicago? Then we'd have standalone stores at each "corner" of downtown with Target in the middle.

twinkess
Target Field

Postby twinkess » August 25th, 2015, 8:21 am

Regarding the burden of having to go 6 of 7 blocks to a grocery store, recall that it was quite recent (on the forerunner to this board) that people were debating which was the closest downtown grocery: the Wedge, the Quarry, or Cub/Rainbow on Lake and Minnehaha. Downtown is not a food desert like it was before 2000. Walking from 8th to 3rd to a future Trader Joes is quite reasonable. Imagine that same situation in 1999.

PS- also concur with others that brewery will not be a detractor. Especially the most socially conscious of any brewery that I have ever heard of. I say it is a huge plus, possibly much better than a high end restaurant, because it will be accessible to pretty much everyone with a few dollars to spend.

I don't deny that it is light years better than it was. The Lund's on Hennepin and Target either weren't there when I started living here in '07 or they didn't have the fresh grocery section they do now. These additions are part of the reason I was able to go carless a few years ago.

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » August 25th, 2015, 9:19 am

Random thought: Can you really picture any beer aficionados wanting to hang out at the Finnegan's taproom?

Surly it is not.

seamonster
Nicollet Mall

Postby seamonster » August 25th, 2015, 9:26 am

Random thought: Can you really picture any beer aficionados wanting to hang out at the Finnegan's taproom?

Surly it is not.
I thought the exact same thing.

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » August 25th, 2015, 9:58 am

Surly it is not.
you kind of have to imagine they'll either expand their offerings or also be tapping summit products, if they're opening a three story faciilty with an innovation center anda hotel with a beer theme. I doubt it'll be 20 taps of Finnegans.

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » August 25th, 2015, 10:22 am

Maybe it's not technically going to be a taproom, but my understanding was that taprooms are only allowed to sell their own beer product. No guest taps.

I'm sure they'll do fine, but they're coming into the marketplace with a well established reputation as a safe, unobjectionable beer.

reeckman
Metrodome

Postby reeckman » August 25th, 2015, 10:51 am

Finnegans has 3 beers on http://finnegans.org/beer/, and Dead Irish Poet sure sounds like the kind of stronger option a taproom would offer. I'm sure they will expand their own selection in the new space and could go from 3 to 6+ pretty easily. It's possible their current arrangement limits their variety or doesn't allow for the creative smaller batch experiments taprooms can try.

VAStationDude
US Bank Plaza

Postby VAStationDude » August 25th, 2015, 11:04 am

They could always keep contract brewing their year round beer and brew smaller batch and tap room offerings on site. Fulton had a similar arraignment before they opened their ne Minneapolis production facility.

nickmgray
Union Depot

Postby nickmgray » August 25th, 2015, 1:27 pm

There's really not enough demand for a full service grocery store on this side of downtown yet. CVS has most of the day to day essentials that people need and most people who live here could easily walk to the other grocery stores on the other corners of downtown on their lunch breaks without breaking a sweat. Keep in mind, we already have over 500 high-end residential units split between skyscape and grant park, so there's no reason why anyone should have an issue renting something on this side of downtown.

Archiapolis
US Bank Plaza

Postby Archiapolis » August 26th, 2015, 7:34 am

There's really not enough demand for a full service grocery store on this side of downtown yet. CVS has most of the day to day essentials that people need and most people who live here could easily walk to the other grocery stores on the other corners of downtown on their lunch breaks without breaking a sweat. Keep in mind, we already have over 500 high-end residential units split between skyscape and grant park, so there's no reason why anyone should have an issue renting something on this side of downtown.
I don't follow any of this post. "Easily walk to the other...corners of downtown" lugging four bags of groceries in the winter sounds like a delightful stroll.

Not everyone works downtown?

500 units of "high end", Stanton's thing, this KA thing, other "not high end" units already in/around Elliot Park, whatever happens at Thrivent, other sites...this side of town is ready for a grocery.

twinkess
Target Field

Postby twinkess » August 26th, 2015, 8:00 am

Don't forget 1400 Park Ave apts

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » August 26th, 2015, 9:02 am

this side of town is ready for a grocery.
How about a Downtown Co-Op? That seems like it could fit the ethic of Elliot Park much more than a Whole Foods or Lunds-esque grocer.

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » September 2nd, 2015, 10:19 pm

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » September 18th, 2015, 2:15 pm

FISHMANPET
IDS Center

Postby FISHMANPET » September 18th, 2015, 2:18 pm

Is it me, or is this just pushing all the right urbanist buttons? You've got a diversity of uses, and a diversity of building sizes, fronts the street all over (I hope the ground floor units in the 1st and 3rd picture have some kind of street access at least though), hidden parking, etc etc.

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » September 18th, 2015, 2:21 pm

By the way, behind that barn there's a nice little beer garden and gathering space. You can find it in the pdf. Extra button.

KML_1981
Nicollet Mall

Postby KML_1981 » September 18th, 2015, 2:22 pm

Wow. I agree. This looks great. Would really change this area for the better.