Downtown Minneapolis Retail News

Downtown - North Loop - Mill District - Elliot Park - Loring Park
grant1simons2
IDS Center

Re: Downtown Minneapolis General Topics & Development Map

Postby grant1simons2 » September 8th, 2015, 9:32 am

There's some survey work happening in Gavvidae. Looks like they're measuring the BMO Harris location. I know someone mentioned on here that BMO might be exiting the building soon. Could be related.

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » September 8th, 2015, 12:36 pm

There's some survey work happening in Gavvidae. Looks like they're measuring the BMO Harris location. I know someone mentioned on here that BMO might be exiting the building soon. Could be related.
BMO had a two story space for awhile. The upper skyway level has been sealed off except for a ATM I believe. So the possibility that they are getting rid of the sky level is a possibility. Not knowing if you were talking ground or skyway level that would be my guess. There always is the chance that BMO is moving to another DT location as well. But I think we would have heard or read something about that by now.

amiller92
Wells Fargo Center

Postby amiller92 » September 8th, 2015, 12:59 pm

BMO had a two story space for awhile. The upper skyway level has been sealed off except for a ATM I believe. So the possibility that they are getting rid of the sky level is a possibility. Not knowing if you were talking ground or skyway level that would be my guess. There always is the chance that BMO is moving to another DT location as well. But I think we would have heard or read something about that by now.
Looks like the old Affinity Plus space at 50 South 6th is going to get a BMO branch, as there is now a BMO logo on the temporary window coverings.

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » September 8th, 2015, 4:43 pm

Glad to see BMO Harris moving it's branch out of Gaviidae. I think once upon a time that was Burberry's store. We need true retail if we are going to get the Mall back into shape. Could not believe all of the vacant store fronts on Gaviidae's ground floor. Amiller92, thanks for that tip. I would rarely go thru the 50 S 6th tower to have noticed that. Makes better use with Affinity going into RBC 4 story section. BMO moves and we get a great retail corner back into play again. Now we have the hurry up and wait game of getting the Mall rebuilt.

Silophant

Re: Downtown Minneapolis Retail News

Postby Silophant » September 8th, 2015, 4:44 pm

Mod note: Moved the Gaviidae/BMO posts from Downtown General Topics to this thread, since rodorkyle originally broke the news here.
Got a letter today from BMO Harris (my bank) saying that they would be moving out of Gaviidae to a new location on the skyway level of 50 South 6th effective October 2. That's going to mean a lot of empty space in Gaviidae unless something else is moving in.
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]

amiller92
Wells Fargo Center

Postby amiller92 » September 9th, 2015, 9:12 am

Glad to see BMO Harris moving it's branch out of Gaviidae. I think once upon a time that was Burberry's store. We need true retail if we are going to get the Mall back into shape. Could not believe all of the vacant store fronts on Gaviidae's ground floor. Amiller92, thanks for that tip. I would rarely go thru the 50 S 6th tower to have noticed that. Makes better use with Affinity going into RBC 4 story section. BMO moves and we get a great retail corner back into play again. Now we have the hurry up and wait game of getting the Mall rebuilt.
Sadly the way bank branches move around, the odds probably still favor it being replaced by another one.

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » September 9th, 2015, 4:57 pm

Speaking of bank branches, what are the odds that they will close the WF branch in the Minneapolis Hotel Building and move it to one of the new twin towers in the near future?

Minnehahaha
Nicollet Mall

Postby Minnehahaha » September 9th, 2015, 7:45 pm

I recall hearing (some time back, I admit) that the branch at 8th and Park would be relocated to the new complex. Never saw mention of planned changes for the old Midland branch.

mnmike
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mnmike » September 9th, 2015, 7:52 pm

Yes, the Wells at Hotel Mpls will be moving to the new buildings....I know someone who works there.

lordmoke
Wells Fargo Center

Postby lordmoke » September 14th, 2015, 10:25 am

Gardner Hardware has closed after 130 years:
http://www.journalmpls.com/news-feed/af ... are-closes

amiller92
Wells Fargo Center

Postby amiller92 » September 14th, 2015, 10:30 am

My attempts to keep it open by occasionally purchasing 18 cents worth of screws have failed. It's a shame.

ztr421
Nicollet Mall

Postby ztr421 » September 14th, 2015, 11:30 am

My attempts to keep it open by occasionally purchasing 18 cents worth of screws have failed. It's a shame.
Lol - me too. It was a really convenient location for random supplies to get started in a new place. But what I noticed is that they seemed to have a lot of things geared toward people with lawns (lawn mower repair, for example). I wonder if they had revised their inventory to focus on more condo and apartment related items (whatever that is...) if they'd been able to stay in business.

On the other hand, maybe the owner just wants to sell the building and retire!

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » September 14th, 2015, 12:33 pm

Lol - me too. It was a really convenient location for random supplies to get started in a new place. But what I noticed is that they seemed to have a lot of things geared toward people with lawns (lawn mower repair, for example). I wonder if they had revised their inventory to focus on more condo and apartment related items (whatever that is...) if they'd been able to stay in business.

On the other hand, maybe the owner just wants to sell the building and retire!
There was an attempt a few years ago to get the building and Cuzzy's sold for a condo development that never got too far. I think they have been wanting out now for a few years and hoping to find a buyer then close. Now how many years later I think they are just looking to sell the building and get away from it. Will admit I've never been in the place, but from what I'm reading is they did not change with the market and the customer that had moved in and did not have the merchandize that they would really have been buying.

amiller92
Wells Fargo Center

Postby amiller92 » September 14th, 2015, 12:40 pm

There was an attempt a few years ago to get the building and Cuzzy's sold for a condo development that never got too far. I think they have been wanting out now for a few years and hoping to find a buyer then close. Now how many years later I think they are just looking to sell the building and get away from it. Will admit I've never been in the place, but from what I'm reading is they did not change with the market and the customer that had moved in and did not have the merchandize that they would really have been buying.
If I lived over that way, I might have bought things like cleaning supplies and light bulbs there on the way home from work. As I don't, my trips there were limited to actual hardware purchases, which there aren't a lot of.

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » September 14th, 2015, 1:00 pm

When I first started going to Gardner (probably 1998?), their business was very much geared towards serving commercial clients and contractors as opposed to regular retail customers. I suspect that business was gutted by Home Depot, and they were unable to pivot to the type of high-customer service retail model that some of the neighborhood Ace Hardware types seem to have nailed. It probably doesn't help that condo owners are only worried about the inside of their houses (and apartment renters even less than that), so even though there were a lot of new residents, they didn't really have a lot of need for a hardware store.

Also, yes, they probably are going to sell that building for a lot of money.

amiller92
Wells Fargo Center

Postby amiller92 » September 14th, 2015, 1:40 pm

When I first started going to Gardner (probably 1998?), their business was very much geared towards serving commercial clients and contractors as opposed to regular retail customers. I suspect that business was gutted by Home Depot, and they were unable to pivot to the type of high-customer service retail model that some of the neighborhood Ace Hardware types seem to have nailed. It probably doesn't help that condo owners are only worried about the inside of their houses (and apartment renters even less than that), so even though there were a lot of new residents, they didn't really have a lot of need for a hardware store.

Also, yes, they probably are going to sell that building for a lot of money.
When I lived in DC, there was an Ace (Logan Hardware) on P street right next to Whole Foods that seemed to do great business with great customer service. It always made me think that the neighborhood hardware store should be part of any redeveloping, walkable neighborhood.

Then I moved back here, and, like the pharmacy on every block, nope. Maybe we're just too carcentric, or hardware trips are infrequent enough to drive to, or we get our charcoal, icemelt, lightbulbs and the like from non-hardware stores.

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » September 14th, 2015, 1:46 pm

I guess I wouldn't be terribly surprised to see a Frattalone open up a smaller format store somewhere in the North Loop.

uptowner
City Center

Postby uptowner » September 16th, 2015, 10:57 am

Bogart's Doughnuts is now open in IDS.

seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Postby seanrichardryan » September 16th, 2015, 11:29 am

Bogart's Doughnuts is now open in IDS.
Did they sell out by 11am like bricks & mortar?
Q. What, what? A. In da butt.

mnmike
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mnmike » September 16th, 2015, 12:25 pm

Still going strong as of a few minutes ago...I wonder until what time they plan on keeping the place stocked after the grand opening rush?