Downtown Minneapolis Retail News

Downtown - North Loop - Mill District - Elliot Park - Loring Park
grant1simons2
IDS Center

Re: Downtown Minneapolis Retail News

Postby grant1simons2 » September 16th, 2015, 12:25 pm

They're still open! Plenty of donuts left.

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » September 16th, 2015, 12:39 pm

I must insist that you all stop talking about [WHITE] bougie donuts until all socio-economic and racial issues have been addressed.

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » September 16th, 2015, 12:42 pm

Fixology; a jewelry, watch and smartphone repair shop, is opening up on the skyway level of RBC Plaza.

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » September 17th, 2015, 6:52 am

I tweeted this yesterday: https://twitter.com/UrbanMSP/status/644287749671907328
Dear forum users, please stop saying "retail". What you actually mean is "commercial space".

Just a general thought that's been bouncing in my head during the various conversations about downtown development and how much street-level commercial space should be included (see Opus Ritz block and the Handicraft development threads). I know a couple of you are actually delusional (or optimistic) enough to think a Nordstrom is going to open downtown, but for everyone else living in reality, I'm pretty sure what we really mean to say during these conversations is that we desire more "commercial space", not specifically "retail". I'm not trying to mean, actually trying to be helpful so that we say what we really mean when advocating for changes/improvements in downtown development proposals.

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » September 17th, 2015, 9:34 am

If by this, you're intending to distinguish between a retailer selling goods and a restaurant selling food and hospitality... you're right, but it's a pretty fine distinction to be making.

LakeCharles
Foshay Tower

Postby LakeCharles » September 17th, 2015, 9:43 am

The wikipedia definition of retail: "Retail is the process of selling consumer goods and/or services to customers through multiple channels of distribution to earn a profit." Doesn't that make a pretty broad spectrum, not just Nordstroms?

KML_1981
Nicollet Mall

Postby KML_1981 » September 17th, 2015, 10:01 am

Please let us know if it lives up to the hype.lol

Walgreens Opening Friday on Nicollet:

http://www.journalmpls.com/news-feed/wa ... ollet-mall

Silophant

Postby Silophant » September 17th, 2015, 10:16 am

I'm pretty excited that my lunchtime supply runs will be a couple blocks shorter.
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]

mnmike
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mnmike » September 17th, 2015, 2:01 pm

Doesn't really look all that special, but it will be nice to have there. I recall in earlier articles that they were leasing a bigger space than they were using to start. I think maybe that street level corner space is the extra, and they are going to try to sublease it, perhaps included it in their lease so they could expand there if needed. Or maybe it isn't in their lease...either way, there is a sizable corner retail space on the street level...hope something goes there. No skyway access though (I don't think?), that is kind of a rarity in leasable spaces fronting Nicollet.

amiller92
Wells Fargo Center

Postby amiller92 » September 17th, 2015, 2:09 pm

Doesn't really look all that special, but it will be nice to have there.
I thought the same thing today.

Silophant

Postby Silophant » September 17th, 2015, 2:11 pm

That is a rarity. The Minneapolis Tourism storefront or whatever it is that got carved out of the new Centerpoint space also won't have skyway access, but I can't think of any other examples of commercial spaces in skyway-connected buildings without an interior entrance, anywhere in downtown.
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]

amiller92
Wells Fargo Center

Postby amiller92 » September 17th, 2015, 2:45 pm

That is a rarity. The Minneapolis Tourism storefront or whatever it is that got carved out of the new Centerpoint space also won't have skyway access, but I can't think of any other examples of commercial spaces in skyway-connected buildings without an interior entrance, anywhere in downtown.
Chipotle and Masa in the Target building and Newsroom in Retek (which has doors on other sides that look like they are supposed to be other commercial spaces) are about the only ones I can think of.

twinkess
Target Field

Postby twinkess » September 17th, 2015, 2:53 pm

Block E Jimmy John's used to be like this. Team Liquor store at 19 S 7th st is in the skyway connected Park and Shop ramp yet doesn't have an interior entrance (the directly adjacent Foot Locker does however).

grrdanko
Landmark Center

Postby grrdanko » September 17th, 2015, 4:21 pm

Chipotle and Masa in the Target building and Newsroom in Retek (which has doors on other sides that look like they are supposed to be other commercial spaces) are about the only ones I can think of.

The Newsroom can be accessed without going outside.

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » September 17th, 2015, 4:24 pm

Where will people enter this space?

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » September 17th, 2015, 5:49 pm

Why this is happening is location, location. It is at the corner of 5th and Nicollet which is right across from the Nicollet LRT station. I'm suspecting that they have planned it here, because many who will come into the city on light the rail will have an easier time finding it. If the lettering on the upper part of the windows stays in some shape or form, then it will be easy to spot.

Entry into both the Tourism office and CenterPoint is the main lobby door. You go in the main lobby and turn left you go into the tourism office, you go right and you are in the real lobby for CenterPoint Energy.

amiller92
Wells Fargo Center

Postby amiller92 » September 18th, 2015, 9:13 am

Where will people entire this space?

Presumably from the doors on the corner of 7th and Nicollet.

Silophant

Postby Silophant » September 18th, 2015, 9:18 am

Ah. I knew there were probably some obvious ones I was missing.

The new Walgreen's is now open, as is the small orthotics clinic next to it in the skyway. Sadly, it's retained the 8pm closing time of the old location.
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » September 18th, 2015, 5:24 pm

mulad

Postby mulad » September 18th, 2015, 5:56 pm

That's an odd assortment of photos for a slideshow.