Forum Maintenance & Technical Issues

Debugging - Report Issues - Suggestions
RailBaronYarr
Capella Tower

Re: Posting

Postby RailBaronYarr » February 17th, 2013, 5:36 pm

When quoting someone it is no longer very clear where their text ends and where the new post text begins.. Not sure if this was a bug or done on purpose... I liked the boxes around the text in quotes before. Any update on this?

FISHMANPET
IDS Center

Postby FISHMANPET » February 18th, 2013, 9:37 am

In the "Site Issues" thread, Shawn said he was aware of it and was working on it.

Shawn
Site Admin

Postby Shawn » February 18th, 2013, 10:54 am

When quoting someone it is no longer very clear where their text ends and where the new post text begins.. Not sure if this was a bug or done on purpose... I liked the boxes around the text in quotes before. Any update on this?
--------------
Yep - looking into this. Honestly...I stumped at the moment as to what happened with the quotes and how to fix it. I'll figure it out eventually.

The extended header/logo area should be fixed. Anyone still having width problems?

Shawn
Site Admin

Postby Shawn » February 18th, 2013, 2:38 pm

Update: All should be fixed now. Header, page width, quotes, etc. Sorry about the mess recently. Please let me know if there are any issues with anything. Thank you for your patience.

mulad

Re: Forum Issues

Postby mulad » February 19th, 2013, 4:18 pm

Here's a problem that existed before the new theme was added: The Google Maps embed option doesn't work properly when using Street View -- I just end up getting a blank square where the map thingy should be (though I do typically see some scroll bars). I guess I've only been using Firefox, but it looks the same under Windows 7 and a couple of Ubuntu Linux versions:

Shawn
Site Admin

Re: Forum Issues

Postby Shawn » February 19th, 2013, 8:31 pm

Interesting - never knew that was an issue. I'll look into it but I doubt it's an easy fix so I wouldn't be overly optimistic. For now I'd recommend links to the streetview.

Shawn
Site Admin

Server Downtime

Postby Shawn » February 19th, 2013, 11:44 pm

For those interested, feel free to bookmark these three pages below to check for future downtime.

[1] This shows the current status of all servers that our host runs: http://www.site5.com/support/current-status/
We are on Dunham server.
[2] This shows the statistics for monthly and yearly uptime and downtime for our server: http://www.site5.com/support/uptime/dunham/.
[3] Current emergency issues and updates on fixes: http://forums.site5.com/forumdisplay.php?f=4

seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Re: Server Downtime

Postby seanrichardryan » February 19th, 2013, 11:46 pm

Thanks. It's like peering into the engine room of a cruise ship.
Q. What, what? A. In da butt.

seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Postby seanrichardryan » March 1st, 2013, 12:17 am

It seems we've been getting more outages lately. Is it UrbanMSP crashing the server or some other large volume site that is sharing server space?
Q. What, what? A. In da butt.

mulad

Postby mulad » March 1st, 2013, 7:10 am

One error message I saw overnight said that the SQL server had too many connections (the number 1040 was printed, but I don't know if that means anything). Something might just need to be set up to allow more connections or file descriptors to be open.

Shawn
Site Admin

Postby Shawn » March 1st, 2013, 7:35 pm

Yeah...all good questions. I'm not sure what's going on. I'm not seeing any spikes in bandwidth. We seem to be the only "legit" site on the server sooooooo I have not a clue what the issue is. We're at 97-99% uptime which is relatively low for a website so I'll speak with the hosts and see what the issue is. Please continue to report outages - it is helpful. Myself and Nick will do our best on Facebook to update the page if there is an outage.

Shawn
Site Admin

Postby Shawn » March 12th, 2013, 4:56 pm

E-mail from our host:

Our data center provider is going to be performing scheduled maintenance, adding an additional backup power generator, and introducing new parallel switchgear, to help improve backup power capabilities in the event of a power outage. While no downtime is anticipated for your server, dunham, this notification is being provided to you in the case that there is a brief outage for your server, or Site5's Backstage or DNS servers. We will post updates in our forums (http://forums.site5.com/forumdisplay.php?f=4) if any issues arise for your specific server. In the event that power is lost to your server and downtime occurs, it is expected to be less than 30 minutes during the maintenance window:

Start: Thursday, March 14, 2013 8:00AM CDT
End: Thursday, March 14, 2013 5:00PM CDT

Le Sueur
Landmark Center

Postby Le Sueur » March 12th, 2013, 5:46 pm

Thank you for the updates. It really is nice to know ahead of time if things are going to be down.

Nick
Capella Tower

Postby Nick » March 15th, 2013, 7:35 am

Weather permitting, I think I'm going to do a picture run tomorrow or Sunday.
Nick Magrino
[email protected]

Nick
Capella Tower

Postby Nick » March 16th, 2013, 4:01 pm

It was reeeeeal bright today so the photos aren't great, but I'll be uploading them shortly. Figuring out this Flickr business.
Nick Magrino
[email protected]

Nick
Capella Tower

Postby Nick » March 16th, 2013, 5:31 pm

Alright, so everything is up. Flickr was pretty easy but it seems to have scrambled the order after I uploaded them. I skipped some of the projects, my feet started to hurt a bit. If you'd like to see higher-quality, non-cell phone camera photos, feel free to contribute through the donate button at the bottom of the page :lol:
Nick Magrino
[email protected]

Le Sueur
Landmark Center

Postby Le Sueur » April 8th, 2013, 7:07 pm

Assuming this is what was going on with the site this evening?
http://forums.site5.com/showthread.php? ... 9e&t=37998

I had to re-login but things seem fine now.

Shawn
Site Admin

Postby Shawn » April 8th, 2013, 7:17 pm

Not sure - I didn't think it impacted us as 1. I haven't had issues and 2. Our only downtime has been a couple minutes at a time. If our whole drive was replaced as seems to be the case on whatever server they mentioned I presume we would be having significantly more issues. With that said, I could be wrong. Either way, if we have as much downtime in April as we did in March we will move to a different server with higher up-time on May 1st.

Le Sueur
Landmark Center

Postby Le Sueur » April 9th, 2013, 4:20 pm

Is it possible to "pin" a small header to the top of each page in a thread?

Short of searching through sometimes more than 50 pages of "discussion" it can be very difficult to find things like: Project Renderings, Web Cam Links, Building Stats, Etc.

The search function/google works for this too, but it would be an improvement if the most discussed threads on the board had a place with a small amount of consolidated information to keep even infrequent readers informed without the need to inquire every third post. :D

If nothing else the Original Post should be updated when a thread is say 100+ Replies, or 3000-4000 views. If this kind of thing is too much for current moderators I'm sure our biggest threads each have someone knowledgeable enough to update a summary from time to time.

Side conversations keep things interesting for members who are active daily, but for anyone seeking to find useful information from our threads, the Board becomes less and less valuable daily.

Here's hoping for sustainable vibrant growth here at UrbanMSP ;)

Shawn
Site Admin

Postby Shawn » April 9th, 2013, 4:52 pm

I would love to do something like that. Something along the lines of an update-able original post (or a thread index) that gives information for each thread where to find the important information? Just want to be sure that we are on the same page.

Let me know if you can find anything good here that has already been developed: https://www.phpbb.com/customise/db/modifications-1/
I'll be looking also.