Public Transit News / Current Events (MN only)

Roads - Rails - Sidewalks - Bikeways
amiller92
Wells Fargo Center

Re: Public Transit News and Current Happenings

Postby amiller92 » September 21st, 2016, 9:08 am

Alternate idea: build a causeway over Lake Hiawatha so the 46 doesn't have to divert to the north on twincitizen's street. ;)

RailBaronYarr
Capella Tower

Postby RailBaronYarr » September 21st, 2016, 9:16 am

So, kinda crazy that it's city policy to concentrate growth right along streets with that level of bus service all day, plus 10-15k+ more vehicles a day, right?

thatchio
Nicollet Mall

Postby thatchio » September 22nd, 2016, 9:41 pm

Twincitizen sounds like the folks who live on Bryant Av S between 46th and 50th Street who feel that they have way too many buses on their block and want the 146 and 46 relocated to Lyndale on that stretch.

EOst
Capella Tower

Postby EOst » September 23rd, 2016, 5:17 am

So, kinda crazy that it's city policy to concentrate growth right along streets with that level of bus service all day, plus 10-15k+ more vehicles a day, right?
If they don't have windows in their bedrooms, will they be able to hear them? ;)

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » September 23rd, 2016, 8:14 am

Twincitizen sounds like the folks who live on Bryant Av S between 46th and 50th Street who feel that they have way too many buses on their block and want the 146 and 46 relocated to Lyndale on that stretch.
If anything, the folks on Bryant should be upset that they don't have a landscaped boulevard 1. to separate walking from traffic 2. to provide a consistent shade canopy and 3. to allow USI Fiber in.

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » September 23rd, 2016, 10:19 am

Alternate idea: build a causeway over Lake Hiawatha so the 46 doesn't have to divert to the north on twincitizen's street. ;)
Co-sign.

Jokes aside, I don't think it would be the end of the world if the 46 diverted south to M'haha Parkway instead of going up to 42nd. While a small area of 42nd Street would lose coverage, it would be a shorter distance diversion. Might save 30-60 seconds or so of running time per trip, assuming there would be few stops along the parkway section. (Note: I'm not actually advocating for this...the Metro Transit buses on my street are fine. It's the motorcycles, school buses, shitty loud cars, etc. that are a nuisance).

Also, quirky transit fact: the northbound route 22 runs southbound on 34th Av for a couple blocks, between 56th and 58th Streets.

This part of the city makes for a really interesting comparison with the old streetcar map. Buses run on pretty much all of the old streetcar streets, but many of the segments that make up present-day routes have been completely mixed and matched from the streetcar era. It's a trip.

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » September 23rd, 2016, 10:25 am

And the northbound Route 14 runs southbound on 28th Ave (and vise versa) from 38th St to 42nd St. Messy transit.

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » September 23rd, 2016, 10:40 am

To some degree it will always be messy because of the lakes and the need to hit the Blue Line Stations, but yeah it could be arranged better. It's a pretty clear example of Metro Transit favoring high-coverage / low-frequency route planning, when research shows that riders prefer high-frequency, predictable routes, even if it means walking a little further.

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » September 23rd, 2016, 10:50 am

And why does one out of every three or four Route 14 buses need to connect with the Blue Line? If anything, have all 14 buses go to Cedar Point, then south to MOA Transit Center.

amiller92
Wells Fargo Center

Postby amiller92 » September 23rd, 2016, 12:26 pm

At least in the evening, the 14 gets pretty darn empty by the time you hit the parkway, so I'm not sure that points farther south need more coverage, but it definitely would simplify things for me, so I'm all for it.

Silophant

Postby Silophant » September 26th, 2016, 2:41 pm

There's construction fencing up at the new Nicollet Mall Station side platform that was half-built along with the Nic on 5th. Looks like they're finally finishing it.
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]

Qhaberl
Foshay Tower

Postby Qhaberl » September 26th, 2016, 3:28 pm

There's construction fencing up at the new Nicollet Mall Station side platform that was half-built along with the Nic on 5th. Looks like they're finally finishing it.
Is that the plaform on the north side of fifth street. I thaught that was just for looks. Am I thinking about the wrong thing?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

intercomnut
Rice Park

Postby intercomnut » September 26th, 2016, 3:58 pm

Is that the plaform on the north side of fifth street. I thaught that was just for looks. Am I thinking about the wrong thing?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I'm pretty sure you're thinking of the right thing. It's been there for two years and they just haven't gotten the funding to finish it.

Silophant

Postby Silophant » September 26th, 2016, 4:03 pm

Correct.
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]

DanPatchToget
Wells Fargo Center

Postby DanPatchToget » September 27th, 2016, 9:00 pm

This is probably an odd request, but since Metro Transit is replacing the old bus stop signs is there a way to get one? Metro Transit's social media person wasn't very helpful, only saying that they get recycled. Is there someone I can contact or do I just have to drive around, find a crew replacing a sign and ask if I can take the old one?

seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Postby seanrichardryan » October 5th, 2016, 8:16 am

Bus crashes at 12th and Harmon in downtown Minneapolis
There are reports of multiple injuries.

http://www.startribune.com/metro-transi ... 5986471/#1
Q. What, what? A. In da butt.

Sacrelicio
Union Depot

Postby Sacrelicio » October 5th, 2016, 8:41 am

Bus crashes at 12th and Harmon in downtown Minneapolis
There are reports of multiple injuries.

http://www.startribune.com/metro-transi ... 5986471/#1
Is it just me or are the suburban commuter bus drivers worse at driving than the Metro Transit drivers? I'm frequently pushed off the road or cut off by SW Transit buses on Washington and they seem to block intersections from time to time, which I don't see Metro Transit buses do.

Silophant

Postby Silophant » October 5th, 2016, 8:49 am

Not just you. When I lived at 13th and Hennepin and walked down Hennepin to work in the morning, I'd find the crosswalk at 12th blocked by an express bus as often as not.
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]

EOst
Capella Tower

Postby EOst » October 5th, 2016, 8:58 am

Is it just me or are the suburban commuter bus drivers worse at driving than the Metro Transit drivers? I'm frequently pushed off the road or cut off by SW Transit buses on Washington and they seem to block intersections from time to time, which I don't see Metro Transit buses do.
Way worse. When I caught the 3 from 4th & Hennepin there would be a constant stream of MT express buses + opt-outs. The opt-outs were *always* the ones speeding, blocking the crosswalk, running yellow/reds etc.

Sacrelicio
Union Depot

Postby Sacrelicio » October 5th, 2016, 9:21 am

Not just you. When I lived at 13th and Hennepin and walked down Hennepin to work in the morning, I'd find the crosswalk at 12th blocked by an express bus as often as not.
Way worse. When I caught the 3 from 4th & Hennepin there would be a constant stream of MT express buses + opt-outs. The opt-outs were *always* the ones speeding, blocking the crosswalk, running yellow/reds etc.
"Opt-outs"....so suburban cities decided to introduce their own private transit services rather than pay into a shared MT system that would link them to downtown? Typical.