Stadium Parking Ramp Development Site - 25 stories / 294'

Downtown - North Loop - Mill District - Elliot Park - Loring Park
grant1simons2
IDS Center

Re: Stadium Parking Ramp Air Rights Development

Postby grant1simons2 » September 11th, 2014, 11:59 am

This property in right next to the stadium though, everyone wants to put something here because if it's a hotel then that makes ease of access for football fans and if it's an apartment then that opens up a world for people who want to be right next to the action. It's similar to a house on the lake, it has a stunning view of the lake and is right next to the best sand bar in the chain but there's one a few blocks down for cheaper but it's not near the best sand bar

mrcity

Postby mrcity » September 11th, 2014, 12:37 pm

True, except that the Vikings, the city and Ryan are actually creating "the lake" and "the view" so they could collaboratively orient the development as a whole to have more options for developments with views around the stadium and near the park. But I suppose it's a pipe dream to ask these folks to work together ;).

Didier
Capella Tower

Postby Didier » September 12th, 2014, 3:24 pm

Who would use the studio? This doesn't sound like the type of space a major tv network would move into, FSN just got new space, and the NFL has national pregame coverage. Local Vikings coverage is really pretty limited. My guess is that the studio space would probably be pretty small, maybe for Vikings.com and special event coverage. Something more ambitious would be welcome, though.

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » September 12th, 2014, 3:31 pm

I look at the studio as window dressing for press releases and will have a very small chance of ever really being apart of the project. Say your are having a studio sounds good to the general public, but like most of us know there really is no one that will really have any need for it. They will have their own facilities so don't need them in an area that really will not do them any good.

Chauncey87
Nicollet Mall

Postby Chauncey87 » September 12th, 2014, 4:29 pm

With the Wilfs now jumping into this months after the deadline. What are the chances this moves forward? Legally this seems pretty muddy. A hotel/apt tower Ryan said wouldn't work because the Wilfs said they wont change the parking garage design. Aside from a higher bid amount do the Wilfs really have any cards? One more thing do any of you think this will force Ryan into designing a grand project? Provided the stadium authority/WIlfs and Ryan cooperate in the garage design.

I am not sure the proper legal terms, but this whole Wilf proposal reeks to high heaven.

Didier
Capella Tower

Postby Didier » September 14th, 2014, 8:48 am

Regarding the broadcast space:
The broadcast studio would overlook the stadium and park and be used by the Vikings, FOX, CBS or for the 2018 Super Bowl, said Lester Bagley, the Vikings' spokesman and stadium development executive.
http://www.bizjournals.com/twincities/b ... -ryan.html

Sounds pretty overstated.

John
Capella Tower

Postby John » September 15th, 2014, 11:40 pm

The Viking proposal is an amateurish rinky dink idea for what should be a high profile building next to a world class stadium. Ryan has bungled up their proposal as well. I know this won't happen , but really this whole air rights development should go back to square one and the city should allow enough time for other developers to compete and come up with something more substantial/iconic that will increase the tax base, help pay for the park, and given Minneapolis something to be proud of.

CK76

Postby CK76 » September 16th, 2014, 10:18 am

^^^^Well said. Hard to believe where this project is currently at, why the Wilfs are even involved and how Ryan was able to mess this up to the degree they did.

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » September 17th, 2014, 10:54 am

Silophant

Postby Silophant » September 17th, 2014, 11:03 am

Given recent history, I have no problem with favoring Ryan over the Vikings in this case.
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]

David Greene
IDS Center

Postby David Greene » September 17th, 2014, 11:05 am

^^^ This. It will be interesting to see what the city says, if anything, about the Peterson issue and the team's response to it.

mullen
Foshay Tower

Postby mullen » September 17th, 2014, 11:49 am

i think it hasn't helped that the senior ryan exec who was instrumental in getting many complex projects through the city approvals process now offices in phoenix.

Silophant

Postby Silophant » September 17th, 2014, 12:22 pm

Joey Senkyr
[email protected]

TommyT
Target Field

Postby TommyT » September 17th, 2014, 12:38 pm

I guess I don't understand the hoopla about residents leaving on game day? Would someone mind explaining that and if it's even a valid concern? It just seems silly to me.

xandrex
Wells Fargo Center

Postby xandrex » September 17th, 2014, 12:40 pm

I guess I don't understand the hoopla about residents leaving on game day? Would someone mind explaining that and if it's even a valid concern? It just seems silly to me.
Presumably it would temporarily halt traffic coming into or out of the ramp if the police who are guiding traffic had to stop one for the other?

This seems like such a non issue. If I decided to live in such a place, there's no way I'd try to drive around the area before or after a Vikings game. It's asking for major, major headaches.

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » September 17th, 2014, 1:01 pm

It's definitely a non-issue. 200ish residents in the building. How many of them would be dumb enough to attempt to drive during Vikings ingress/egress? I'm glad Jacob Frey publicly called out the Vikings/MSFA for being so overly concerned with something so trivial.

HiawathaGuy
Wells Fargo Center

Postby HiawathaGuy » September 17th, 2014, 1:10 pm

I'm just glad to see that Ryan seems to still be the favorite for this parcel. I hopeful that their updated design with Magellan will be really awesome.

CK76

Postby CK76 » September 17th, 2014, 1:23 pm

Especially a non-issue given there are so few home games a year in the NFL.

uptowncarag

Postby uptowncarag » September 17th, 2014, 3:45 pm

^^^ This. It will be interesting to see what the city says, if anything, about the Peterson issue and the team's response to it.
Why would Peterson have anything to do with this? That would not even make any sense.

David Greene
IDS Center

Postby David Greene » September 17th, 2014, 4:18 pm

Why would Peterson have anything to do with this? That would not even make any sense.
PR.