Rumors: A Historical Record of Mystery

Introductions - Urban Issues - Miscellaneous News, Topics, Interests
kregger22

Re: Rumors!

Postby kregger22 » January 7th, 2013, 12:22 pm

Where exactly would a Supertall go in Mpls? Does anyone believe St. Paul will receive a new tower?

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » January 7th, 2013, 12:31 pm

Where exactly would a Supertall go in Mpls? Does anyone believe St. Paul will receive a new tower?
Always a good question! We actually have a thread Here where we have started discussing that! :)

John
Capella Tower

Postby John » January 7th, 2013, 12:35 pm

If this is a thread for downtown development rumors and speculation it should go back in that sub forum. Doesn't really make sense as an "anything goes" topic, IMO. Unless you're just trying to kill this type of discussion...
Agreed. It seems as if someone doesn't believe Nasa's speculation, so they want to hide it here. Obviously Nasa has some inside info, and knows more about what is actually going on then most others here. Let him share that with the forum without bashing him for it and hiding his posts here.
I think Nasa will be vindicated later this year. And the developments will be the most exciting threads on this site 8-)

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » January 7th, 2013, 12:54 pm

Since Target seems to do so well, does anyone think there would ever be a market for a new City Target elsewhere near Downtown Mpls? I could imagine one of those numerous surface lots over by the Strib could be a successful City Target, capturing Mill District and Elliot Park, and also a short LRT ride away from North Loop or the University neighborhoods.

nasa35

Postby nasa35 » January 7th, 2013, 1:13 pm

Yeah, nick decided to kill this thread. It's absurd thast's it's in "anything Goes"

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » January 7th, 2013, 1:53 pm

Since Target seems to do so well, does anyone think there would ever be a market for a new City Target elsewhere near Downtown Mpls? I could imagine one of those numerous surface lots over by the Strib could be a successful City Target, capturing Mill District and Elliot Park, and also a short LRT ride away from North Loop or the University neighborhoods.
Perhaps NE Superior Plating would be a good option :)

PhilmerPhil

Postby PhilmerPhil » January 7th, 2013, 1:54 pm

Yeah, nick decided to kill this thread. It's absurd thast's it's in "anything Goes"
It's still here, and I still check it regularly... I don't see what the problem is.

Avian
Union Depot

Postby Avian » January 8th, 2013, 12:50 pm

Well, just for the hell of it, here's what 1100 feet looks like at the 10th & Marquette location. Yeah it's a dumb box but I didn't really spend much time on this one other than carefully scaling it and putting it in the right location. 78 Stories BTW.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

“Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something.”
― Plato

Avian
Union Depot

Postby Avian » January 8th, 2013, 1:12 pm

Now, a possible Convention Center Hotel on the Century Plaza site at 3rd Av & 12th Street is a whole 'nother animal.

Even a shorter building on this site would dominate the skyline as seen from the same vantage point. Here I took a little more care in the design than the office fortress above. Partially inspired by the new Loring Apartments, this tower is 660-feet to the top of the angled roof.

It's so dominant mostly because the site is nearly 2000 feet closer to the camera than the IDS Center. That makes a big difference!

From the vicinity of Prospect Park, the same hotel tower would look something like this:

“Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something.”
― Plato

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » January 8th, 2013, 3:08 pm

Well, just for the hell of it, here's what 1100 feet looks like at the 10th & Marquette location. Yeah it's a dumb box but I didn't really spend much time on this one other than carefully scaling it and putting it in the right location. 78 Stories BTW.

Not much time at all, just enough to get the Wells Fargo reflection in there ;)

nasa35

Postby nasa35 » January 8th, 2013, 10:45 pm

Now, a possible Convention Center Hotel on the Century Plaza site at 3rd Av & 12th Street is a whole 'nother animal.

Even a shorter building on this site would dominate the skyline as seen from the same vantage point. Here I took a little more care in the design than the office fortress above. Partially inspired by the new Loring Apartments, this tower is 660-feet to the top of the angled roof.

It's so dominant mostly because the site is nearly 2000 feet closer to the camera than the IDS Center. That makes a big difference!

WOW. Marry me
From the vicinity of Prospect Park, the same hotel tower would look something like this:

go4guy
Foshay Tower

Postby go4guy » January 9th, 2013, 9:41 am

It may just be me, but I am not sure I would want a super tall. Something a little bigger than the "big 3" would be great, but a super tall makes everything else less impressive, which I think makes our skyline less impressive. I think our skyline looks "tall" enough now, just would like to see more density. But again, that is probably just me.

ECtransplant
US Bank Plaza

Postby ECtransplant » January 9th, 2013, 9:57 am

Could always build 3 super talls and have a new big 3

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » January 9th, 2013, 10:13 am

Could always build 3 super talls and have a new big 3
Ha! Perfect. I kind of tend to think that a super tall would look better in DTE (if a few other larger buildings went up) or on the north side of DT where the view of DT isn't so Iconic. Maybe in the lot behind the Cowles or the one east of the Library. Next to accenture could be real great too...

Le Sueur
Landmark Center

Postby Le Sueur » January 9th, 2013, 10:34 am

I'm not about to grumble I hate change, because I would like to see the skyline continue to grow. The idea that even a midsized convention hotel could swallow up the Norwest Tower making it irrelevant to a Southern Minneapolis skyline makes me a little queasy. :(

Anyway thanks to Avian as always for some photoshop fun to give us something shinny to look at :)

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » January 9th, 2013, 10:39 am

I'm even a little concerned about the Convention Hotel site marring the postcard view from 35W and my office window!

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » January 9th, 2013, 12:49 pm

In a lot of South you can't even see Wells Fargo anyways, and it would really extend the skyline. (though I also hate the idea of seeing the coming up 35w)

go4guy
Foshay Tower

Postby go4guy » January 11th, 2013, 12:22 pm

They really need to move Lake Calhoun so this picture includes the WF tower. :)

mamundsen
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mamundsen » April 23rd, 2013, 12:55 pm

Just wondering if anyone works in the construction or development business? There are always inside rumors going around about speculation and everyone needing patience. Is this because some of you work on the inside?

I may be looking for new employment soon. I think it would be interesting to combine my interest in development and my financial analyst history/skills. Any leads?

Nasa or Avian????

MS3

Postby MS3 » April 30th, 2013, 9:33 am

My brother is a commercial caulker and has worked on a lot of projects in Minneapolis since the 90's. He knows many sups. I would say these predictions and rumors on this thread are going to be more like soon to be realities.