Blue Line LRT

Roads - Rails - Sidewalks - Bikeways
Bakken2016
Wells Fargo Center

Re: Blue Line (Hiawatha LRT)

Postby Bakken2016 » January 12th, 2022, 6:03 pm

https://www.hometownsource.com/sun_curr ... 4170b.html

Due to the renaming of 28th Ave in Bloomington, 28th Ave Station will be renamed to 30th Ave Station by the summer of 2022.

Tcmetro
Wells Fargo Center

Postby Tcmetro » January 12th, 2022, 6:31 pm

Too bad they aren't going with "Winstead Way". There's too many numbered roads in the Twin Cities and "30th Ave" provides poor locational context, IMO.

Bakken2016
Wells Fargo Center

Postby Bakken2016 » January 12th, 2022, 6:34 pm

Too bad they aren't going with "Winstead Way". There's too many numbered roads in the Twin Cities and "30th Ave" provides poor locational context, IMO.
I agree, but since it will already cost $15k to rename the station, I assume they want the shorter name. If I recall correctly there is large signage on the park and ride.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DanPatchToget
Wells Fargo Center

Postby DanPatchToget » January 12th, 2022, 6:41 pm

Seems like a missed opportunity to call it South Loop Station since it's right in the middle of that area.

Qhaberl
Foshay Tower

Postby Qhaberl » January 12th, 2022, 11:13 pm

I agree. The station should have a named Southloop station. It would definitely help more with wayfinding.

alexschief
Wells Fargo Center

Postby alexschief » January 13th, 2022, 8:55 pm

Just leave it as 28th Street Station so that the Strib continues to have Curious Minnesota material in ten years.

thespeedmccool
Union Depot

Postby thespeedmccool » January 13th, 2022, 10:10 pm

Hear me out: The Station Formerly Known as 28th Avenue

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » January 18th, 2022, 3:20 pm

I agree, but since it will already cost $15k to rename the station, I assume they want the shorter name. If I recall correctly there is large signage on the park and ride.
Metro Transit partially chose 30th for consistency (they felt 30th Avenue was less of a "change" than going to 82nd Street), and also because they could just cover up "28" with "30" rather than fabricating entirely new signs. Perhaps a smart move in the short term to get it done quickly and cheaply, but my long-term prediction is that it will be 82nd Street Station someday.
Seems like a missed opportunity to call it South Loop Station since it's right in the middle of that area.
Bloomington probably would've had a hard time agreeing to that since all four of their LRT stations are located in the South Loop district. If I was going to rename an LRT station within South Loop (to "South Loop Station"), it would be Bloomington Central Station, which is an older name that refers to McGough Construction's ongoing multi-phase, mega-development. BCS encompasses the area between 30th and 34th Aves, and American Blvd down to OSR, so kind of the geographic middle of South Loop. BCS is not a great name for something that isn't remotely "central" within Bloomington's geography, and as a brand it certainly competes with, and possibly undermines the larger South Loop branding that the city is aggressively marketing. At this point, BCS is basically an inside-baseball term for future/unbuilt phases of McGough's development. No actual developments/buildings are using that name once completed, as far as I know.

Bakken2016
Wells Fargo Center

Postby Bakken2016 » January 18th, 2022, 3:24 pm

Metro Transit partially chose 30th for consistency (they felt 30th Avenue was less of a "change" than going to 82nd Street), and also because they could just cover up "28" with "30" rather than fabricating entirely new signs. Perhaps a smart move in the short term to get it done quickly and cheaply, but my long-term prediction is that it will be 82nd Street Station someday.
All METRO(A,C, Blue, Green, Red, Orange) stations will have to be updated, since every single one has a map of the full METRO system. I assume though that will be rolled into the June Pick, so signs don't have to be printed twice.
Last edited by Bakken2016 on January 18th, 2022, 3:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DanPatchToget
Wells Fargo Center

Postby DanPatchToget » March 19th, 2022, 2:18 pm

Tcmetro
Wells Fargo Center

Postby Tcmetro » September 19th, 2022, 11:41 am

Metro Transit update on the now 10 week closure of the line south of the airport:

UPDATE (9/19): Buses are replacing Blue Line trains between Mall of America and Airport-Terminal 2 as construction continues. We will provide an update no later than Friday, Sept. 23. We do not expect train service to resume before the end of September. 

Tom H.
US Bank Plaza

Postby Tom H. » September 20th, 2022, 8:16 am

Is there any detail about what's causing the delay? Worker shortage perhaps?

Tcmetro
Wells Fargo Center

Postby Tcmetro » September 24th, 2022, 12:30 pm

Latest update from Metro Transit below. Hopefully service can start soon after the test trains start rolling!

UPDATE (9/23): Buses are replacing Blue Line trains between Mall of America and Airport-Terminal 2 as construction continues. Test trains are scheduled to begin operating on Monday, Sept. 26, but will not pick up customers. We will provide another update when train service is scheduled to resume.

Bakken2016
Wells Fargo Center

Postby Bakken2016 » April 28th, 2023, 10:32 am

https://metrocouncil.org/Council-Meetin ... -TAAC.aspx

Renovation of Blue Line Lake St/Midtown Station going in front of TAAC on 5/3/23.

Improve customer experience: cleanliness, comfort,
visibility, wayfinding, lighting, safety
– Turn stairs around to face the street, improve sightlines
– Remove escalators, widen stairs to improve circulation
– Remove lobby enclosures in favor of an open-air design
– Move ticket purchasing and validation to street-level
stair and elevator entrances only, creating a paid fare
zone at the platform
– Add new lighting, modern camera systems throughout
– Remove shelters on the platform opening sightlines
– Add more protection from weather

Tcmetro
Wells Fargo Center

Postby Tcmetro » April 28th, 2023, 10:57 am

Some fairly major renovations planned!

Surprised they're taking out the escalators. I know the elevators have been having a problem recently, I wonder if the escalators are too.

Bakken2016
Wells Fargo Center

Postby Bakken2016 » April 28th, 2023, 10:58 am

Some fairly major renovations planned!

Surprised they're taking out the escalators. I know the elevators have been having a problem recently, I wonder if the escalators are too.
The escalators are always not running, Metro Transit goes in and fixes them and within hours they are broken again.

DanPatchToget
Wells Fargo Center

Postby DanPatchToget » April 28th, 2023, 11:04 am

So they want more protection from the weather, but they also want to make the lobbies an open-air design. You can't have both in Minnesota, especially in the winter.

I'd like to say something to all the people who trashed the station lobby, but I'll keep it to myself. How much you want to bet that in 20 years the Met Council will be discussing making the Orange Line station at Lake Street an open-air design?

Bakken2016
Wells Fargo Center

Postby Bakken2016 » April 28th, 2023, 12:01 pm

So they want more protection from the weather, but they also want to make the lobbies an open-air design. You can't have both in Minnesota, especially in the winter.

I'd like to say something to all the people who trashed the station lobby, but I'll keep it to myself. How much you want to bet that in 20 years the Met Council will be discussing making the Orange Line station at Lake Street an open-air design?
The platform is already open-air design, if you look at the design mockup, the new roof is better than what currently exists.

thespeedmccool
Union Depot

Postby thespeedmccool » April 28th, 2023, 12:51 pm

https://metrocouncil.org/Council-Meetin ... -TAAC.aspx
– Move ticket purchasing and validation to street-level
stair and elevator entrances only, creating a paid fare
zone at the platform
Sounds like a great opportunity to add fare gates. Is that the idea here?

DanPatchToget
Wells Fargo Center

Postby DanPatchToget » April 28th, 2023, 12:57 pm

The platform is already open-air design, if you look at the design mockup, the new roof is better than what currently exists.
I didn't say anything about the platform, I'm talking about the indoor lobby below the platform.