Northside - News & General Topics

Northeast, Near North, Camden, Old St. Anthony, University and surrounding neighborhoods
SurlyLHT
Wells Fargo Center

Re: Northside - News & General Topics

Postby SurlyLHT » March 17th, 2022, 9:37 am

Update on the Satori project from NRRC

Phase 1, Satori Boutique, is 112 units, 6 stories on the southeast corner of Broadway and Bryant, next to the Cub Foods parking lot. 20% of the units will be "affordable" to people earning up to $59,600 per year or 80% of Area Median Income, which is $74,500 for a single person. The rest of the units will be market rate. Therefore, studios will be $1100-$1400, one bedrooms $1250-$1600 and two bedrooms $1450-$1800. Funding is secured, the land has been cleared and they expect up to 18 months to complete the project.
Phase 2 is Satori Lofts, 26 units. It is facing Broadway on the Ascension Place block with 9 parking stalls and commercial on the ground level and 3 stories of apartments above. No rent range yet as funding sources have not been secured.
Phase 3 is the Satori Senior Housing, 78 independent living units, 5 stories, entrance like Ascension Place facing Bryant but built pretty close to the curb. Each building will have 20% of their units "affordable" at 80% of AMI.
They aspire to start construction on the loft building late this summer. Lofts will take 9 months to complete. The Senior building will take about 14 months to complete after funding is secured. The owner of the corner properties on the southwest side of Broadway and Bryant (the old mattress company) has not been interested in selling. No attendees have knowledge of plans for the blighted Burger King property on the northeast corner of Bryant and Broadway nor did anyone have information of when a light rail decision might be announced between Broadway Ave or Lowry Ave N.
Monica
Monica Nilsson | Executive Director

SurlyLHT
Wells Fargo Center

Postby SurlyLHT » March 17th, 2022, 9:40 am

Plans for a mixed-use building at 1300 W Broadway (right at the start of the curve) called The Resolute have been submitted to the city. The city's application database says it would have 71 rental units and retail space for a barber shop, a day care, a bar, and a cafe. That could be pretty exciting.
This is now going before the CoW for feedback on some setback issues. (Packet). It is indeed pretty exciting.

Plans are for 71 housing units targeted at 50% AMI, 16 residential car parking spaces, and 71 residential bicycle parking spaces. The building would be seven stories high. It will have space for five businesses on the first and second floors; a hair salon, a barber shop, a small coffee shop, a small bar, and a daycare. The design uses fairly standard materials, but some nice thought has been given to the details at the Broadway and Girard corner.
And now to the Planning Commission. Packet. No significant changes.

One of the most exciting projects in Minneapolis.
I hope there is a phase II to the West

seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Postby seanrichardryan » March 17th, 2022, 10:10 am

Update on the Satori project from NRRC

Phase 1, Satori Boutique, is 112 units, 6 stories on the southeast corner of Broadway and Bryant, next to the Cub Foods parking lot. 20% of the units will be "affordable" to people earning up to $59,600 per year or 80% of Area Median Income, which is $74,500 for a single person. The rest of the units will be market rate. Therefore, studios will be $1100-$1400, one bedrooms $1250-$1600 and two bedrooms $1450-$1800. Funding is secured, the land has been cleared and they expect up to 18 months to complete the project.
Phase 2 is Satori Lofts, 26 units. It is facing Broadway on the Ascension Place block with 9 parking stalls and commercial on the ground level and 3 stories of apartments above. No rent range yet as funding sources have not been secured.
Phase 3 is the Satori Senior Housing, 78 independent living units, 5 stories, entrance like Ascension Place facing Bryant but built pretty close to the curb. Each building will have 20% of their units "affordable" at 80% of AMI.
They aspire to start construction on the loft building late this summer. Lofts will take 9 months to complete. The Senior building will take about 14 months to complete after funding is secured. The owner of the corner properties on the southwest side of Broadway and Bryant (the old mattress company) has not been interested in selling. No attendees have knowledge of plans for the blighted Burger King property on the northeast corner of Bryant and Broadway nor did anyone have information of when a light rail decision might be announced between Broadway Ave or Lowry Ave N.
Monica
Monica Nilsson | Executive Director
Plans? Does this still remove everything walkable and interesting about Broadway?
Q. What, what? A. In da butt.

SurlyLHT
Wells Fargo Center

Postby SurlyLHT » March 17th, 2022, 10:45 am

They are separate packets posted throughout the forum. Given that it's at NRRC (Neighborhood Org) We'll probably get an update in the Planning Committee soon. This will involve tearing down some streetcar era buildings which give W. Broadway it's character. It's also next to probably the area with the highest number of homicides in the city. The Winner Gas and Merwyns have both been really bad hotspots the past couple years.

alexschief
Wells Fargo Center

Postby alexschief » March 24th, 2022, 11:25 am

A nine unit market rate addition to the Get Down Coffee Co. + Houston White Men's Room building has been submitted to the city. If you've been to the site, you know that this has been in the works for a while and they've had a rendering of this project up on the fence.

But this is a more significant project than its specifications might imply. If approved in the coming months, this will be the first new multi-family housing project in Ward 4 in nearly a decade. The last project from W4 to go before the planning commission was on September 19, 2012, and that was a like-for-like reconstruction of units that were destroyed in a fire, it wasn't even new housing.

Hero
Landmark Center

Postby Hero » March 30th, 2022, 11:13 pm

Do additions not need to include affordable units? Not that I'm complaining.

With all the empty lots around north I wonder why the city doesn't just build triplexes on them and sell them at cost (or a loss even). I bet they would make whatever they lost and then some back over the life of the property.

Silophant

Postby Silophant » March 31st, 2022, 6:06 am

To incentivize missing middle scale housing, the inclusionary zoning ordinance exempts projects of less than 20 units.
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]

Mdcastle
Wells Fargo Center

Postby Mdcastle » March 31st, 2022, 6:18 am

I'd speculate the city doesn't have the money to build a bunch of triplexes and then sell them at a loss.

SurlyLHT
Wells Fargo Center

Postby SurlyLHT » March 31st, 2022, 11:24 am

Do additions not need to include affordable units? Not that I'm complaining.

With all the empty lots around north I wonder why the city doesn't just build triplexes on them and sell them at cost (or a loss even). I bet they would make whatever they lost and then some back over the life of the property.
There aren't as many of these around as you would think. I think I had 5 or 6 within a few blocks of me when I moved to North a couple years ago. 3 of them have new construction in the form of Single Family homes. The homes are all selling for for $300,000 for the most basic and the prices go up from there. When I run or bike around North there are homes popping up everywhere. If you looked at new single family home starts in Mpls North probably leads the way by quite a bit. The properties are near highways and Downtown and a good portion of North is within a half mile or less of Theo Parkway, or Victory Memorial/Webber Parkways.

You can see these lots being sold as they're approved at the Council Mtgs. The MPHA is building a few modular buildings which I think may be triplexes.

Hero
Landmark Center

Postby Hero » April 3rd, 2022, 11:51 pm

I'm in north quite a bit. Last Friday I was on Penn Ave and it still has plenty of open lots. Although I did notice fencing went up just north of Lowry a while back but no construction appears to be happening.

Maybe I've been watching to many Strong Towns videos but it seems to me the city should do whatever it can to build density. Perhaps sell the city owned lots on the condition a triplex is built or commercial/mixed use building if on a main road. If nobody is interested in them then have the city build them. Use the construction to train locals in the trades.

SurlyLHT
Wells Fargo Center

Postby SurlyLHT » April 4th, 2022, 8:03 am

I'm in north quite a bit. Last Friday I was on Penn Ave and it still has plenty of open lots. Although I did notice fencing went up just north of Lowry a while back but no construction appears to be happening.

Maybe I've been watching to many Strong Towns videos but it seems to me the city should do whatever it can to build density. Perhaps sell the city owned lots on the condition a triplex is built or commercial/mixed use building if on a main road. If nobody is interested in them then have the city build them. Use the construction to train locals in the trades.
The city has sold multiple lots to MPHA for the modular multi-family homes, including I think Penn and 15th, and Penn and Golden Valley Road where Deshaun was shot and killed. (They should explore putting some memorial down as part of the project. )

alexschief
Wells Fargo Center

Postby alexschief » April 21st, 2022, 1:24 pm

A nine unit market rate addition to the Get Down Coffee Co. + Houston White Men's Room building has been submitted to the city. If you've been to the site, you know that this has been in the works for a while and they've had a rendering of this project up on the fence.

But this is a more significant project than its specifications might imply. If approved in the coming months, this will be the first new multi-family housing project in Ward 4 in nearly a decade. The last project from W4 to go before the planning commission was on September 19, 2012, and that was a like-for-like reconstruction of units that were destroyed in a fire, it wasn't even new housing.
Now headed to the Planning Commission. Packet.

One small project, but major significance for the Northside I think. Similar to The Resolute (discussed above), we are seeing a handful of private development projects that both pencil out and are mission driven. Hopefully these projects (and the Bottineau LRT) draw some attention and inspire similar work.

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » April 21st, 2022, 2:58 pm

Is there any evidence that these are being supported by funding streams outside of the typical sources? I could imagine that there are maybe some philanthropic minded investors who might be willing to take a little more risk on for projects that are in places with more challenges.

MinneapBliss
Metrodome

Postby MinneapBliss » April 21st, 2022, 8:39 pm

Foundation day at the former Broadway Pizza site redevelopment, 4/20
"That rug really tied the room together, did it not?" -Walter Sobchak

alexschief
Wells Fargo Center

Postby alexschief » May 5th, 2022, 12:53 pm

Now headed to the Planning Commission. Packet.

One small project, but major significance for the Northside I think. Similar to The Resolute (discussed above), we are seeing a handful of private development projects that both pencil out and are mission driven. Hopefully these projects (and the Bottineau LRT) draw some attention and inspire similar work.
Not housing, but I want to mark the occasion; another project in Ward 4 is on the CPC's agenda this week. Two meetings in a row has to be a record for the far northside. This project would add commercial space for a restaurant, bookstore, theater, and gallery across the street from the Thirsty Whale bakery on Fremont Ave right next to a future D Line stop. Packet.

Exciting stuff.

pillsdoughboy
City Center

Postby pillsdoughboy » May 5th, 2022, 11:04 pm

It's great to see Webber-Camden (Camden Town?) blooming while preserving its historic building stock as well! North Minneapolis definitely needs the kins of community institutions that this development would bring-- it seems like the Capri Theater has been pretty successful in this regard.

SurlyLHT
Wells Fargo Center

Postby SurlyLHT » May 6th, 2022, 8:50 am

Jamil Ford has contributed a lot to the Northside. Great pillar of the community.

https://www.startribune.com/behind-many ... 573071402/

MinneapBliss
Metrodome

Postby MinneapBliss » May 27th, 2022, 9:23 am

It looks like there's an interesting new development going in at Upton (i think) and Lowry. There's a banner there that reads:

"Tap In is a craft cocktail bar and restaurant created for community members to nourish themselves, connect with each other, and 'tap in' to the growing Northside.

Tap In will feature curated community gatherings, an artist incubator program, outdoor plaza and solar gardens. The vision for this space is to offer a new Northside hang out while providing economic opportunities for local residents and entrepreneurs."
"That rug really tied the room together, did it not?" -Walter Sobchak

SurlyLHT
Wells Fargo Center

Postby SurlyLHT » May 27th, 2022, 3:50 pm

Some of my friends went to the ground breaking. It's a wonderful addition to the area. Although different Tooties nearby has been a steadfast destination for years. It's nice to have a tiny cluster of places. Maybe we'll get a third place.
Capture.JPG

Silophant

Postby Silophant » June 12th, 2022, 9:56 pm

Via the Development Tracker instagram, apparently there's a spec office building being pitched for the former BJ's Liquor Lounge property in the SE quadrant of Broadway and Washington. Curiously, that posting calls it 201 W Broadway, which is the address of that small building on the corner of 2nd that's included in the rendering.

Joey Senkyr
[email protected]