Southside - News & General Topics

Calhoun-Isles, Cedar-Riverside, Longfellow, Nokomis, Phillips, Powderhorn, and Southwest
EOst
Capella Tower

Re: Southside - General Topics

Postby EOst » January 18th, 2016, 4:48 pm

It's not just bike infrastructure either. Like any park, some portion is economic development.

FISHMANPET
IDS Center

Postby FISHMANPET » January 19th, 2016, 12:37 pm

Nobody but me cares about this, but the Taco Bell on Franklin reopened last Monday.

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » January 19th, 2016, 4:16 pm

I saw it looking done and thought about you.

Silophant

Postby Silophant » January 19th, 2016, 4:41 pm

I know where I'm going for lunch tomorrow.

(Note: Probably not.)
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]

minneboom
Nicollet Mall

Postby minneboom » January 20th, 2016, 12:17 am

There is a great site currently being marketed at 4561 Minnehaha Avenue. This area could really use a smaller scale grocery store and this would be an ideal location. It seems to be a pretty good price considering the proximity to the 46th St Station and Minnehaha Park. Can anyone float the idea in front of some local coops and grocery stores?

Marcus & Millichap is proud to offer 0.43 acres of prime redevelopment land at 46th and Minnehaha along the Hiawatha Corridor. Currently zoned C1 these three parcels are being offered at $40 per square foot. With the completion of the Hiawatha Light Rail Line the area has seen a spate of new apartment construction to accommodate the rapid public need, and the City of Minneapolis' aggressively planning for the area. The redevelopment of the Ford Plant directly across the river from this site is expected to increase the traffic on 46th Street. By purchasing the land, demolishing the current structures on the property, realizing a change of the zoning to C3A and building a new mixed-use, urban infill project the developer can realize a 10 percent annual return on equity. These calculations are based on 62,000 square feet of apartment with an additional 7,695 square feet of retail space on the ground floor.

acs
Wells Fargo Center

Postby acs » January 20th, 2016, 12:32 am

7.6k square feet would be pretty small for a grocery store. Think more like a convenience store.

minneboom
Nicollet Mall

Postby minneboom » January 20th, 2016, 1:26 pm

The site is 18,000 sf, but if they could somehow acquire the lot north on Minnehaha it would make things much easier. Either way, it is a great lot, but maybe the development should be more akin to West River Commons.

fehler
Rice Park

Postby fehler » January 20th, 2016, 2:35 pm

Still waiting for something to open in the Oaks Station Place spot. Serious tax money went here, and what happened to it?

Archiapolis
US Bank Plaza

Postby Archiapolis » January 21st, 2016, 10:16 am

Just saw a recent post by the Minneapolis Bike Coalition about planning for another greenway in South Minneapolis. This would be great to implement, but it would be even better if they worked to improve and connect to the existing RiverLake Greenway also.

http://www.mplsbike.org/positive_first_ ... inneapolis

Existing Riverlake Greenway

Proposed South Minneapolis Greenway
Did anyone go to the meeting last night for this?

minneboom
Nicollet Mall

Postby minneboom » January 21st, 2016, 3:51 pm

Here is the approved plan for the area around Minnehaha and 46th, which is slowly coming together. A high quality development at 4561 Minnehaha Avenue would really help.

John21
Rice Park

Postby John21 » January 21st, 2016, 4:20 pm

Still waiting for something to open in the Oaks Station Place spot. Serious tax money went here, and what happened to it?
What ever happened to the restaurant that was supposed to open there? I'm also disappointed the commercial lot at Longfellow Station still sits empty. Something like Longfellow Market would totally rule there.

tab
Metrodome

Postby tab » January 21st, 2016, 4:33 pm

Archiapolis - yes, I attended the Southside Greenway meeting last night.

The group is still seeking local residents to get involved, and your neighborhood may still need a neighborhood representative. Similar to the Midtown Greenway Coalition, this Southside Greenway group is structured to give each neighborhood org a seat on the board. Which neighborhood do you live in?

To your point about improving and connecting to the 40th Ave Bike Boulevard (River-Lake Greenway), yes – absolutely. The slight jog in the proposed route, shown in the northern part of Segment 3 on the map you posted, is at 40th Street, to coincide with the River-Lake Greenway.

minneboom
Nicollet Mall

Postby minneboom » January 21st, 2016, 4:35 pm

What ever happened to the restaurant that was supposed to open there? I'm also disappointed the commercial lot at Longfellow Station still sits empty. Something like Longfellow Market would totally rule there.
I agree. The site on the other side of Longfellow Station, 3915 Hiawatha Ave, is also up for sale at 890,000$. Both sites seem to have tremendous potential and there would definitely be community support for development. It would be nice to see Council Member Andrew Johnson and the Minnehaha-Hiawatha Community Works get more active promoting development here.

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » January 21st, 2016, 4:47 pm

I wonder if the Longfellow Station area is simply too close to Longfellow Market, Cub, and Aldi for grocery. If there's a space for a new grocer in Longfellow, seems like it would be more in the Minnehaha/46th area. The only thing close is Oxendale's. A co-op or similar groceries could even attract Highland Park shoppers who don't want to bother with Lunds.

FISHMANPET
IDS Center

Postby FISHMANPET » January 21st, 2016, 4:53 pm

Aldi has locations at Franklin and almost directly south on Lake. I think they're small enough and cheap enough that they don't cannibalize each other too much. But then again maybe down by 38th the market is a little less captive than on Franklin or Lake.

min-chi-cbus
Capella Tower

Postby min-chi-cbus » January 22nd, 2016, 9:09 am

Reminds me a lot of Shaker Square in Shaker Heights, OH, where I live:

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Shake ... 0a!6m1!1e1
https://www.google.com/maps/@41.4840782 ... 56!6m1!1e1

*Let me know if you don't see an overhead view of a neighborhood district, followed by a street view.

Archiapolis
US Bank Plaza

Postby Archiapolis » January 22nd, 2016, 9:53 am

Archiapolis - yes, I attended the Southside Greenway meeting last night.

The group is still seeking local residents to get involved, and your neighborhood may still need a neighborhood representative. Similar to the Midtown Greenway Coalition, this Southside Greenway group is structured to give each neighborhood org a seat on the board. Which neighborhood do you live in?

To your point about improving and connecting to the 40th Ave Bike Boulevard (River-Lake Greenway), yes – absolutely. The slight jog in the proposed route, shown in the northern part of Segment 3 on the map you posted, is at 40th Street, to coincide with the River-Lake Greenway.
I used to be in the Diamond Lake neighborhood (60th and Clinton roughly) but now I'm about 2 miles west. I doubt that they are looking for input from folks as far away as I am from Portland.

tab
Metrodome

Postby tab » January 22nd, 2016, 10:24 am

You’re right that the neighborhood group probably wouldn’t designate you as their representative, but if you’re interested in getting involved, I should mention that there’s not a ‘distance cut-off’ in terms of involvement on the board. A few of the other board members (myself included) live 2-ish miles away, and that’s not a problem.

HuskyGrad
Union Depot

Postby HuskyGrad » January 22nd, 2016, 10:26 am

They couldn't secure the funding due to lack of parking. I think the management want something for the whole space, where as subdividing it might be better. Last time I talked to Andrew Johnson he said they were working on bringing some sort of taproom/restaurant there.

Archiapolis
US Bank Plaza

Postby Archiapolis » January 22nd, 2016, 12:40 pm

You’re right that the neighborhood group probably wouldn’t designate you as their representative, but if you’re interested in getting involved, I should mention that there’s not a ‘distance cut-off’ in terms of involvement on the board. A few of the other board members (myself included) live 2-ish miles away, and that’s not a problem.
I don't necessarily need to be on a board (not that I'd be against it). I definitely need to come to meetings and voice support. I will track this and get involved.