Pedestrian Safety and Infrastructure Improvements

Roads - Rails - Sidewalks - Bikeways
Hero
Landmark Center

Re: Pedestrian Safety and Infrastructure Improvements

Postby Hero » April 3rd, 2022, 11:28 pm

I like this pedestrian crossing better than the ones at 140th and 147th on the red line.

https://www.google.com/maps/@44.7368507 ... 2?hl=en-GB

Kinda reminds me of a combination of frogger and hurdling. Maybe if it were easier to cross the street at 140th or 147th more people would use those stops. (there isn't much around 140th so maybe not that stop)

DanPatchToget
Wells Fargo Center

Postby DanPatchToget » April 4th, 2022, 10:14 am

I can think of a lot of ways to make Cedar Avenue in Apple Valley safer for pedestrians and supporting the Red Line, but I'm pretty sure none of those would be liked by Apple Valley and most of the people who use Cedar Avenue. The most radical (and delving into fantasy maps territory) is doing a complete overhaul to the stretch of Cedar Avenue between 140th and 160th (or maybe Dodd) so it looks like the central area of Almere in the Netherlands.

DanPatchToget
Wells Fargo Center

Postby DanPatchToget » October 12th, 2023, 6:23 pm

There's growing concern about 102nd Street between Nesbitt Avenue and Penn Avenue in Bloomington. Between Normandale Boulevard and France Avenue this street is 4 lanes with a 35 mph speed limit, and there are three schools next to it (Olson Elementary and Middle schools and Jefferson High School). Recently the city(?) redid the driveway going into Olson from 102nd, but there are complaints that it only encourages motorists to go faster.

I don't think there's an easy answer for making that stretch of road safer for pedestrians and bikers. Part of me thinks they should experiment with making it 3 lanes and see what happens. Sure there will probably be some traffic congestion, but that also means traffic is going slower, and some people will figure out to take a different route to where ever they're going.

DanPatchToget
Wells Fargo Center

Postby DanPatchToget » October 17th, 2023, 9:16 am

A new pedestrian bridge across Highway 169 in Shakopee opened today. It's located approximately midway between Canterbury Road and County Road 21.